RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP 2 install and SVG

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP 2 install and SVG Jonathan Chetwynd 04 Feb 18:02
  GIMP 2 install and SVG Sven Neumann 04 Feb 19:37
  GIMP 2 install and SVG Dave Neary 06 Feb 09:42
   GIMP 2 install and SVG Jonathan Chetwynd 06 Feb 10:40
    GIMP 2 install and SVG Dave Neary 06 Feb 11:44
     GIMP 2 install and SVG Sven Neumann 06 Feb 13:17
    GIMP 2 install and SVG Owen 07 Feb 02:51
     GIMP 2 install and SVG Sven Neumann 08 Feb 11:45
   GIMP 2 install and SVG Sven Neumann 06 Feb 12:48
Jonathan Chetwynd
2004-02-04 18:02:37 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP 2 install and SVG

Anyone on this list tried to install pre2? on redhat? I'm finding it stressful... would appreciate a well laid out howto....

anyone have a report with examples of the GIMP and SVG?

How many days away is the final release?

thanks

Jonathan Chetwynd http://www.peepo.co.uk
"It's easy to use"

Sven Neumann
2004-02-04 19:37:21 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP 2 install and SVG

Hi,

Jonathan Chetwynd writes:

Anyone on this list tried to install pre2? on redhat? I'm finding it stressful... would appreciate a well laid out howto....

What is stressful about grabbing the RPMs from http://www.gnome.org/~drc/gimp-rpms/ and installing them ?

anyone have a report with examples of the GIMP and SVG?

SVG paths can be imported and exported. SVG can be imported and will be rasterized on load (with the possibility to keep any paths).

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-02-06 09:42:11 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP 2 install and SVG

Hi,

Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:

Anyone on this list tried to install pre2? on redhat?

I run CVS GIMP on RedHat 8 with XD2.

I'm finding it stressful... would appreciate a well laid out howto....

You will need the following for a full install of the GIMP:

Required: GTK+ 2.2.4 + devel packages (this will normally install a bunch of other requirements, which I won't go into) libart_lgpl + devel package
libpng + devel package
libjpeg + devel package
fontconfig 2.2.1 + devel package
pango with XFT backend (this might not be included in pango by default) + devel

Reccommended: (mostly for plug-ins, all require devel packages too) libtiff
libwmf
rsvg (required for SVG import, export curves to SVG, etc) libexif
gtk-doc
gtkhtml
ghostscript
gimpprint 4.2.x

I think that's about it... All this stuff is documented (with URLs for packages) in the README file in the distribution.

Or you can install the rpm (http://www.gnome.org/~drc/gimp-rpms/), which will tell you what you need, and you won't need the devel packages at all.

Probably less than a month.

Cheers, Dave.

Jonathan Chetwynd
2004-02-06 10:40:21 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP 2 install and SVG

Dave,

thanks, my error was not to read the link to working packages in fedora.

However: lcms is proving to be a problem, compiled and installed, no errors noticed by me, but not found. is this a PATH issue, not so hot on this aspect?

can you please advise me how to add path if that is what's missing, if not what else might it be?

thanks

Jonathan Chetwynd http://www.peepo.co.uk
"It's easy to use"

Dave Neary
2004-02-06 11:44:06 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP 2 install and SVG

Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:

Dave,

thanks, my error was not to read the link to working packages in fedora.

However: lcms is proving to be a problem, compiled and installed, no errors noticed by me, but not found. is this a PATH issue, not so hot on this aspect?

can you please advise me how to add path if that is what's missing, if not what else might it be?

The test we do for littlecms is very simple - we #include a header file from the distribution, and try to use a function defined in it, then compile & link the binary against the lcms library.

The possible errors are therefore (1) the header is not found, (2) the symbol is not found in the header, (3) the library is not found and (4) the symbol is not found in the library.

Of the 4, the likely problem is that the library is not being found - there is a search path for dynamic libraries specified in the file /etc/ld.so.conf, and if you add /usr/loocal/lib (or wherever liblcms.so is installed) to this file, and run ldconfig as root, your problem will probably be solved.

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-02-06 12:48:31 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP 2 install and SVG

Hi,

would appreciate a well laid out howto....

What about this one:

http://mmmaybe.gimp.org/downloads/install_help.html

Also there used to be very elaborate instructions in the GIMP Wiki but I am unable to locate them at the moment. Perhaps you want to have a look yourself: http://wiki.gimp.org/

I think that's about it... All this stuff is documented (with URLs for packages) in the README file in the distribution.

Actually it is documented in the file INSTALL (where it belongs).

Probably less than a month.

Oh, I thought our default answer was "in two weeks" (of course without specifying from when to count the two weeks from). Let's let it be "less than a month" then.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-02-06 13:17:55 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP 2 install and SVG

Hi Dave,

Dave Neary writes:

The test we do for littlecms is very simple - we #include a header file from the distribution, and try to use a function defined in it, then compile & link the binary against the lcms library.

I don't think Jonathan tries to compile from source at all. He's probably refering to the package manager not finding lcms installed.

Sven

Owen
2004-02-07 02:51:00 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP 2 install and SVG

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:40:21 +0000 Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:

Check where your lcms.h file is. If it is at, /usr/include/lcms/lcms.h copy it to /usr/include/lcms.h and recompile.

Scribus (a DTP) went through the same problem a year or so ago

Sven Neumann
2004-02-08 11:45:45 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP 2 install and SVG

Hi,

Owen writes:

Check where your lcms.h file is. If it is at, /usr/include/lcms/lcms.h copy it to /usr/include/lcms.h and recompile.

That's not necessary since GIMP looks in both places.

Sven