RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Select contiguous regions tool (Z) Problems

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Select contiguous regions tool (Z) Problems Jeffrey Brent McBeth 16 Jan 06:26
  Select contiguous regions tool (Z) Problems Dave Neary 16 Jan 10:30
   Select contiguous regions tool (Z) Problems Jeffrey Brent McBeth 16 Jan 17:09
Jeffrey Brent McBeth
2004-01-16 06:26:57 UTC (over 20 years ago)

I recently updated from 1.3.23 to 2.0pre1, and the behaviour of the region select tool appears to have changed in a way that is very annoying.

I have a layer with many disjoint shapes surrounded by transparency. To move the rectangles, I would select the tool (Z), make sure the threshold was at 255, and select transparent areas was off. Then I could click on the shape (which selected everything up to the transparency) and move it where I needed it.

Now, it selects the entire layer no matter what. Is there an alternate way I can accomplish my desired task?

Jeff

Dave Neary
2004-01-16 10:30:39 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote:

I have a layer with many disjoint shapes surrounded by transparency. To move the rectangles, I would select the tool (Z), make sure the threshold was at 255, and select transparent areas was off. Then I could click on the shape (which selected everything up to the transparency) and move it where I needed it.

I'm afraid I haven't been able to reproduce this in the HEAD. There has been one change since 2.0 pre1 in the contiguous region selection, but that should only affect indexed mode.

Could you open a bug against this and attach an example image which shows this behaviour?

Are you sure that the completely transparent areas are really completely transparent?

Cheers,
Dave.

Jeffrey Brent McBeth
2004-01-16 17:09:02 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 10:30:39AM +0100, Dave Neary wrote:

Hi,

Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote:

I have a layer with many disjoint shapes surrounded by transparency. To move the rectangles, I would select the tool (Z), make sure the threshold was at 255, and select transparent areas was off. Then I could click on the
shape (which selected everything up to the transparency) and move it where I
needed it.

I'm afraid I haven't been able to reproduce this in the HEAD. There has been one change since 2.0 pre1 in the contiguous region selection, but that should only affect indexed mode.

That may be it. I forgot to mention that the images I'm working on are in indexed mode.

Could you open a bug against this and attach an example image which shows this behaviour?

Will do. I'll come up with a smaller version than the image I'm using now

Are you sure that the completely transparent areas are really completely transparent?

Absolutely positive. I just rolled my install back to 1.3.23 and it works as expected.

Jeff