RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

adding to a selection vs. always adding a square (circle)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

adding to a selection vs. always adding a square (circle) Przemyslaw Gawronski 13 Jan 20:15
  adding to a selection vs. always adding a square (circle) David Neary 13 Jan 20:29
Przemyslaw Gawronski
2004-01-13 20:15:35 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi gimpers

When I have a selection (lets say a rectangle) and I want to add another rectangle (or a ellipse) I press shift key, but then I can only make a square (or a circle) selection to add.

So, is there a way to actually add a rectangle (or a ellipse) ?

Yes, I know that circle is ellipse, and square is rectangle, but just a special case :-)

Thanks for sugestions

Przemek

David Neary
2004-01-13 20:29:54 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi Przemyslaw,

Przemyslaw Gawronski wrote:

When I have a selection (lets say a rectangle) and I want to add another rectangle (or a ellipse) I press shift key, but then I can only make a square (or a circle) selection to add.

The GIMP makes a difference between a modifier key which is pressed when you start a selection and the same modifier when you finish.

To add a rectangle, hold down shift, click and drag, then while dragging, release shift. You will now be adding to a selection, and it'll be a rectangle.

All you have to remember is that the modifier keys when you start drawing a selection affect the selection mode, when you finish the shape.

Cheers,
Dave.