RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

about gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

12 of 12 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

about gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2 david 08 Jan 11:50
  about gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2 Joao S. O. Bueno 08 Jan 13:32
   about gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2 Sven Neumann 08 Jan 15:47
  about gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2 Eric Pierce 08 Jan 15:25
   about gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2 david 08 Jan 20:18
    about gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2 Eric Pierce 08 Jan 20:34
    about gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2 Sven Neumann 08 Jan 21:04
     about gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2 david 09 Jan 11:35
  about gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2 Sven Neumann 08 Jan 15:46
   gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2 help file Alex 08 Jan 16:41
    gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2 help file Henrik Brix Andersen 08 Jan 17:05
    gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2 help file Sven Neumann 08 Jan 17:38
david
2004-01-08 11:50:09 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi

I have downloaded and compiled and installed the above file.

Only one problem........it wont run.....gimp does not open.

There seemed to be no problems in the configure stage. So I am stumped.

I am running mdk9.2.

Is this something of a bug or is there some compile option which I have missed??

Cheers

david

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-01-08 13:32:38 UTC (about 20 years ago)

If it compiled and make-installed with no errors it should run.

Make shure of these two trivial things, that might be the catch: Are you running the "gimp-2.0" binary? If you run just "gimp" it should run the old version. And....when running first time, it takes a while (about 40 seconds on my system) while it configures itself, before the spashscreen is displayed. Maybe you are interrupting it before this happens. (I did the first time it happened to me.)

Regards, JS
->

On Thursday 08 January 2004 08:50, david wrote:

Hi

I am running mdk9.2.

Is this something of a bug or is there some compile option which I have missed??

Cheers

david

Eric Pierce
2004-01-08 15:25:52 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi

Can you give some detail here?

You said you installed it, so you must have a binary floating around. Try running gimp-1.3 in a terminal and post any messages you get.

I am running mdk9.2.

Cheers

david

Sven Neumann
2004-01-08 15:46:38 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

david writes:

What do you mean, it does not open? How do you start it?

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-01-08 15:47:55 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno" writes:

Are you running the "gimp-2.0" binary?

The binary is called gimp-1.3 still. We will make the change to gimp-2.0 when the time has come for the final 2.0 release (or perhaps in a release candidate), but not for the pre-releases which are still 1.3.x internally.

Sven

Alex
2004-01-08 16:41:07 UTC (about 20 years ago)

gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2 help file

Helo, all,

I've compiled and installed new version of gimp (to non-default diresctory). All went well, but when I try to use help, help browser said thet it can't fing help file.
Is it normal behaviour for pre-release or I missed smth?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

=====
// Only the fireborn understand blue

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes
http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus
Henrik Brix Andersen
2004-01-08 17:05:45 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 16:41, Alex wrote:

I've compiled and installed new version of gimp (to non-default diresctory). All went well, but when I try to use help, help browser said thet it can't fing help file.
Is it normal behaviour for pre-release or I missed smth?

This is normal since the help documents has been separated from the main gimp distribution. They can be found in gimp-help-2 on gnomecvs, but they are not complete yet.

Sincerely, ./Brix

Sven Neumann
2004-01-08 17:38:57 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Alex writes:

The help files are not included and won't be included for 2.0. They are supposed to be released as a separate package. We hope to have a pre-release of the help files ready soon. There is however still a lot of work to do when it comes to help content. Perhaps you would like to help out? See http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/GimpDocs

Sven

david
2004-01-08 20:18:32 UTC (about 20 years ago)

HI

Thanks for the advice. As you can see I typed gimp-1.3 in a terminal and got the following.

[david@localhost david]$ gimp-1.3 gimp-1.3: error while loading shared libraries: libgimpcolor-1.3.so.24: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I did have one thought while compiling, do you need to have installed gimp 1.3 already?

I also clicked the exe file in /usr/local/bin/gimp-1.3.......nothing happens though.

cheers

David

Eric Pierce wrote:

Hi

You said you installed it, so you must have a binary floating around. Try running gimp-1.3 in a terminal and post any messages you get.

I am running mdk9.2.

Cheers

david

Eric Pierce
2004-01-08 20:34:36 UTC (about 20 years ago)

HI

Thanks for the advice. As you can see I typed gimp-1.3 in a terminal and got the following.

[david@localhost david]$ gimp-1.3 gimp-1.3: error while loading shared libraries: libgimpcolor-1.3.so.24: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I had that happen too (first time I've seen this problem for Gimp-1.3.x releases).

This is what I did (and it worked). After doing 'make install' (I use 'checkinstall' by the way), you'll need to make sure the directory where 'libgimpcolor-1.3.so.24' is installed is included in the file /etc/ld.so.conf. In my case I believe it was /usr/local/lib

Now type 'ldconfig' as root.

Eric

I did have one thought while compiling, do you need to have installed gimp 1.3 already?

I also clicked the exe file in /usr/local/bin/gimp-1.3.......nothing happens though.

cheers

David

Eric Pierce wrote:

Hi

You said you installed it, so you must have a binary floating around. Try
running gimp-1.3 in a terminal and post any messages you get.

I am running mdk9.2.

Cheers

david

Sven Neumann
2004-01-08 21:04:57 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

david writes:

You need to run ldconfig (as roo) to update the library cache (assuming you have /usr/local/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf at all).

Sven

david
2004-01-09 11:35:53 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I did have /usr/local/lib in ld.so.conf. But I typed ldconfig at the command line anyway. It seems to have worked, and gimp2 opens ok.

Again thanks to all who helped.

David

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

david writes:

You need to run ldconfig (as roo) to update the library cache (assuming you have /usr/local/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf at all).

Sven