RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Printer Setup Broken

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Printer Setup Broken Carl Brown 05 Jan 19:19
Carl Brown
2004-01-05 19:19:07 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Printer Setup Broken

System is RH9. Printer is Epson 1520.

After a botched attempt to relocate /var due to drive space limitations, I had some scrambled permissions in various places in the /var tree. All that I found had changed to root:root. I used:

rpm -Va | grep UG

to produce a list of files with changed permissions, and all under /var have been restored to their original settings. The printer works from the command line, e.g.:

ls -l > /dev/lp0

The printer configuration has been checked and saved with the Redhat gui tool. According to that utility, the recommended driver is gimp-print, which is set as the active driver. It will print any appropriate test pages, and these tests create files in /var/spool/cups/.

KMail prints and creates files in /var/spool/cups/. But the Gimp and OpenOffice do not print. They say they are printing, and do not produce any errors, but neither do they produce any printer activity. No files appear under /var/spool/cups/. I have checked and rechecked the settings, restarted the programs, and restarted cups.

It looks like the jobs are spooling into a black hole. I have been unable to locate any evidence which might provide a clue. Any ideas?