RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

dependency hell over glib stuffs

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

dependency hell over glib stuffs Gene Heskett 01 Jan 16:02
  dependency hell over glib stuffs Malcolm Tredinnick 02 Jan 00:58
Gene Heskett
2004-01-01 16:02:52 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi; this is rather offtopic, but maybe somebody's been there and done that.

Trying to get gkrellm to watch the system when the kernel is a 2.6.x requires a new gkrellm-2.whatever

That in turn needs gtk+-2.2.x That needs a new pango, atk and glib, all suitable 2.2.x versions.

I've setup an env var $PKG_CONFIG_PATH thats correct, and I reran ldconfig everytime I updated by the time honored method of doing an "rpm -e --nodeps oldpackage" and then installing the new one from the tarball.

Everything went nominally till I got to gtk+-2.2.4, after having installed the 2.2.3 versions of pango, atk, and glib. I've been about an hour now on search and destroy of older glib-2.2.1 stuff which is causeing this gtk+-2.2.4 ./configure exit:

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /root/kde3.1.1/bin/pkg-config checking for GLIB - version >= 2.1.4... *** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.2.3, but GLIB (2.2.1) *** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best *** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error *** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing *** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is *** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH *** to point to the correct configuration files no
configure: error:
*** GLIB 2.1.4 or better is required. The latest version of *** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

I think that (cached) is the killer. Humm, thats one dir I haven't checked for an older glib-2.0.pc. Ok, killed the entries in /root/kde3.1.1/lib/pkgconfig, didn't help. And glib-2.2.1 was removed with the rpm -e --nodeps option. The gimp runs, but gftp won't, so I'm messed something up. I've reinstalled glib-2.2.3 a dozen times, and now I can't even rebuild pango, getting the same ./configure error.

Where is the right place to find help for this?

Should I rebuild and re-install everthing with --prefix=/usr?

Malcolm Tredinnick
2004-01-02 00:58:34 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 02:02, Gene Heskett wrote:

Hi; this is rather offtopic,

I'll say!

but maybe somebody's been there and done that.

Trying to get gkrellm to watch the system when the kernel is a 2.6.x requires a new gkrellm-2.whatever

That in turn needs gtk+-2.2.x That needs a new pango, atk and glib, all suitable 2.2.x versions.

I've setup an env var $PKG_CONFIG_PATH thats correct, and I reran ldconfig everytime I updated by the time honored method of doing an "rpm -e --nodeps oldpackage" and then installing the new one from the tarball.

Everything went nominally till I got to gtk+-2.2.4, after having installed the 2.2.3 versions of pango, atk, and glib. I've been about an hour now on search and destroy of older glib-2.2.1 stuff which is causeing this gtk+-2.2.4 ./configure exit:

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /root/kde3.1.1/bin/pkg-config checking for GLIB - version >= 2.1.4... *** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.2.3, but GLIB (2.2.1) *** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best *** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error *** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing *** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is *** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH *** to point to the correct configuration files no
configure: error:
*** GLIB 2.1.4 or better is required. The latest version of *** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

I think that (cached) is the killer. Humm, thats one dir I haven't checked for an older glib-2.0.pc. Ok, killed the entries in /root/kde3.1.1/lib/pkgconfig, didn't help. And glib-2.2.1 was removed with the rpm -e --nodeps option. The gimp runs, but gftp won't, so I'm messed something up. I've reinstalled glib-2.2.3 a dozen times, and now I can't even rebuild pango, getting the same ./configure error.

Where is the right place to find help for this?

Should I rebuild and re-install everthing with --prefix=/usr?

Old problem, solved a number of times on different mailing lists. Google is probably your friend here.

You need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the new glib libraries as well.

Malcolm