RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Opinions on a scanner

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Opinions on a scanner Daniel Carrera 29 Dec 21:42
  Opinions on a scanner BandiPat 29 Dec 23:18
  Opinions on a scanner Daniel Carrera 04 Jan 02:22
Daniel Carrera
2003-12-29 21:42:58 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Opinions on a scanner

Hi all,

I just bought a scanner. It was at a good price (since they were trying to get rid of Christmas stock). I was hoping someone could help me figure out if it's a good scanner or not. I use GIMP for amateur photo editing, and I want to get an idea of what I can expect to do with this scanner plus GIMP.

This is an HP "scanjet" 4500c. I paid $50 CAN for it (~$30 USD) including a warranty (from a reputable retailer).

The box says that the scan resolution goes up to 2,400 dpi, but I don't know if that's optical (real) resolution, or interpolated resolution. And the user manual doesn't say.

Does anyone know anything about this scanner?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

BandiPat
2003-12-29 23:18:32 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Opinions on a scanner

On Monday 29 December 2003 03:42 pm, Daniel Carrera wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought a scanner. It was at a good price (since they were trying to get rid of Christmas stock). I was hoping someone could help me figure out if it's a good scanner or not. I use GIMP for amateur photo editing, and I want to get an idea of what I can expect to do with this scanner plus GIMP.

This is an HP "scanjet" 4500c. I paid $50 CAN for it (~$30 USD) including a warranty (from a reputable retailer).

The box says that the scan resolution goes up to 2,400 dpi, but I don't know if that's optical (real) resolution, or interpolated resolution. And the user manual doesn't say.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

===============

Daniel,

I am going to guess you didn't get the provided manual, etc with your scanner, since it was such a bargain. If that is the case, then you can go to HP's site and pick up a manual in PDF form. You should also be able to view the specs on the unit. If you did get the manual, then the specs are there about the dpi.

The 4500 should give you pretty good results, although certainly not professional. The best flatbed scanners I have used, have been the Epson Photo scanners. Overall, I think you'll be happy with the unit.

Patrick

Daniel Carrera
2004-01-04 02:22:29 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Opinions on a scanner

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help.

It's tempting not to say anything if there's "nothing new to report", but saying "thanks" is important. So thanks for all the info.

Cheers, Daniel.

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 03:42:58PM -0500, Daniel Carrera wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,