RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

trying to repro scanned images at full size

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

trying to repro scanned images at full size Gene Heskett 29 Dec 18:27
  trying to repro scanned images at full size Sven Neumann 29 Dec 19:05
   trying to repro scanned images at full size Gene Heskett 30 Dec 06:33
    trying to repro scanned images at full size Sven Neumann 30 Dec 13:26
    trying to repro scanned images at full size Henrik Brix Andersen 30 Dec 13:27
  trying to repro scanned images at full size Carl Brown 31 Dec 01:49
Gene Heskett
2003-12-29 18:27:20 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Unforch, when I scan something, save as a .png, then load to gimp for printing, the printer wants to full page whatever the size, including any border I might have included in the xsane driven scan, such that its exactly full page on the printer.

This is fine if it takes a reduction to make an inch equal an inch at the printers output, that 'shrink' can be done in the printers front end.

However, if that would make it bleed half an inch, it cannot be done as it won't 'scale' to more than 100%. So I find myself rescanning, and purposely leaving out a half inch on each end so that the result can be, albeit missing the ends of the pattern, at least 100% sized for the remainder.

I've not found a way to crop the image that actually removes the ends of a long image so that the remainder would scale up to 100% at the printer. Cropping leaves the no data checkerboard on screen ok, but this empty space is still being sent to the printer to control the scaling in the driver, in this case gimp-print-4.2.6rc2.

Am I being an idiot? Intuitive it doesn't seem to be. Something like hideing the variable rotations in a completely different menu from the fixed rotations. Its easier to rescan, move copy, and rescan etc and rescan util there is no rotation needed than it is to find the 1 degree operator needed to square something up. OTOH, I don't do graphics for a living either, this is woodworking related, I'm 80% retired these days. Or is that just 80% tired... :)

Sven Neumann
2003-12-29 19:05:01 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Gene Heskett writes:

Am I being an idiot? Intuitive it doesn't seem to be. Something like hideing the variable rotations in a completely different menu from the fixed rotations. Its easier to rescan, move copy, and rescan etc and rescan util there is no rotation needed than it is to find the 1 degree operator needed to square something up.

You should try the 1.3 development version. It has a menu entry for "Arbitrary" rotations that brings you directly to the Rotate tool.

Sven

Gene Heskett
2003-12-30 06:33:55 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Monday 29 December 2003 13:05, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Gene Heskett writes:

Am I being an idiot? Intuitive it doesn't seem to be. Something like hideing the variable rotations in a completely different menu from the fixed rotations. Its easier to rescan, move copy, and rescan etc and rescan util there is no rotation needed than it is to find the 1 degree operator needed to square something up.

You should try the 1.3 development version. It has a menu entry for "Arbitrary" rotations that brings you directly to the Rotate tool.

Sven

I've been told it doesn't work with gimp-print? It does now?

Sven Neumann
2003-12-30 13:26:57 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Gene Heskett writes:

gimp-1.3 has always worked with gimp-print. You need the stable gimp-print 4.2 release though.

Sven

Henrik Brix Andersen
2003-12-30 13:27:57 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 06:33, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Monday 29 December 2003 13:05, Sven Neumann wrote:

[snip]

Version 1.3.x of The GIMP works with the stable branch, version 4.2.x, of gimp-print.

./Brix

Carl Brown
2003-12-31 01:49:13 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Monday 29 December 2003 12:27, Gene Heskett wrote:

I've not found a way to crop the image that actually removes the ends of a long image so that the remainder would scale up to 100% at the printer. Cropping leaves the no data checkerboard on screen ok, but this empty space is still being sent to the printer to control the scaling in the driver, in this case gimp-print-4.2.6rc2.

It is including the transparent area because it is still part of the image area. After cropping, you need to resize the image to match the cropped area.

Intuitive on the surface, it is not. Once you find it, it's great. Use the rotate tool in the "Rotation, scaling, shear, and perspective", aka "Transform" set. That's the one with the scale icon, one down from the top on the right in the toolbox. I don't know why, but these functions are not available from the popup menus.

Open the Tool Options window. In the Tool Options window, under Transform select Rotate, and set the "Tool Paradigm" to "Corrective" instead of "Traditional". Click in the image. Rotate the grid until it aligns with what you want to be either a vertical or horizontal line, zooming as necessary, then hit the rotate button in the "Rotation Information" window, which will have magically appeared.

HTH