RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

storke selection?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

stroke selection Gezim Hoxha 26 Dec 16:15
storke selection? Gezim Hoxha 28 Dec 22:35
  storke selection? Niklas 28 Dec 23:08
  storke selection? Raphaël Quinet 29 Dec 02:08
   storke selection? Simon Budig 31 Dec 03:44
Gezim Hoxha
2003-12-26 16:15:56 UTC (over 20 years ago)

stroke selection

Hi gimpers,

I got gimp 1.3.23 and pretty satisfied with it. Congrats to the developers.
One problem though:
When I make a [rectangular] selection and go to edit>storke selection... I don't have an option as to where my storke is gonna go (i.e.inside the selection, in the mid., or outside) and the "cap style" seems to make no difference in any of them. Also I don't get what the miter limit is all about.
If someone could explain these things to me, it would be great :)

Thanks,
Gezim Hoxha

Do you Yahoo!?
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/
Gezim Hoxha
2003-12-28 22:35:03 UTC (over 20 years ago)

storke selection?

Hi guys/girls,

I'm really frustrated with the storke tool in gimp 1.3.23, and I hope it's because of my ignorance. Almost all selections (except rectangular ones) turn out really ugly when storked...here is an example with a circle
http://www.geocities.com/hgezim/stroke.html Please help me out.

Thanks in advance, Gezim

p.s.: I also tried it with the paint brush but the results were not better.

Do you Yahoo!?
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/
Niklas
2003-12-28 23:08:28 UTC (over 20 years ago)

storke selection?

sön 2003-12-28 klockan 22.35 skrev Gezim Hoxha:

Hi guys/girls,

I'm really frustrated with the storke tool in gimp 1.3.23, and I hope it's because of my ignorance. Almost all selections (except rectangular ones) turn out really ugly when storked...here is an example with a circle
http://www.geocities.com/hgezim/stroke.html Please help me out.

Thanks in advance, Gezim

p.s.: I also tried it with the paint brush but the results were not better.

Hello,

There are many ways to make a stroke to the selection. First one is the way to use Stroke selection. The other one is:

1. Make a selection. 2. Fill it with the color you want the border to be 3. Go ->Selection->Shrink and in that dialog shrink with the 1px if the border is going to be 1px in size. 4. Ctrl+K or ->Edit->Clear

This will clear the rest of the color out in the middle of the selection and you should have a border. Don't know if this is what you want though.

Regards,

Raphaël Quinet
2003-12-29 02:08:27 UTC (over 20 years ago)

storke selection?

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:35:03 -0800 (PST), Gezim Hoxha wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/hgezim/stroke.html

The circle is converted to line segments for stroking, and unfortunately there are not enough of them (12 here) so the results are ugly. Ideally, it should be possible to configure how close the segments fit the shape of the selection. It would also be nice to configure if the stroking is done inside, outside or on both sides of the edges of the selection.

Anyway, there is a workaround that should allow you to get a better circle until some new options are added for stroking selections: just convert the selection to a path, then stroke the path. The results should look a bit better. Note that you will probably need to double the stroke width because that parameter is not interpreted in the same way for selections and for paths. Also, you may have to adjust the radius of your circle (another difference, probably related to stroking inside or on both sides of the line segments).

-Raphael

Simon Budig
2003-12-31 03:44:27 UTC (over 20 years ago)

storke selection?

Raphaël Quinet (quinet@gamers.org) wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:35:03 -0800 (PST), Gezim Hoxha wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/hgezim/stroke.html

The circle is converted to line segments for stroking, and unfortunately there are not enough of them (12 here) so the results are ugly. Ideally, it should be possible to configure how close the segments fit the shape of the selection. It would also be nice to configure if the stroking is done inside, outside or on both sides of the edges of the selection.

Raphaël, you are on the wrong track. It is not an issue of "not enough line segments".

Right now there never is an ellipse, we are talking about converting an roughly ellipse shaped blob delimited by vertical and horizontal lines to something that has slanted lines at its boundary. Additional restriction is, that the lines have to end in integer coordinates.

I tried to use a modified Douglas Peucker Algorithm to do this, and since I want to catch 45 degree lines, I have to use a tolerance of at least sqrt(2)/2. I fiddeled around a bit and came up what is in 1.3.23.

I now have reverted that stuff in CVS, since the old stuff fails in a more predictable way, and ellipses look a bit more like ellipses, although either aliased (or very bad anti aliasing) and uneven stroke widths.

This stuff is discussed in Bug #50730.

Anyway, there is a workaround that should allow you to get a better circle until some new options are added for stroking selections: just convert the selection to a path, then stroke the path. The results should look a bit better.

Yep.

Note that
you will probably need to double the stroke width because that parameter is not interpreted in the same way for selections and for paths. Also, you may have to adjust the radius of your circle (another difference, probably related to stroking inside or on both sides of the line segments).

Uh, simply ->Select->None before stroking the path, then everything will be interpreted as you expected earlier. This is not an issue of parameters being interpreted in a different manner.

Bye, Simon