RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

get toolbox to stay on top

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

get toolbox to stay on top Bill Kenworthy 14 Nov 02:31
  get toolbox to stay on top Sven Neumann 14 Nov 10:18
  get toolbox to stay on top David Neary 14 Nov 11:20
   get toolbox to stay on top Sven Neumann 14 Nov 14:54
    get toolbox to stay on top William Kenworthy 15 Nov 01:25
Bill Kenworthy
2003-11-14 02:31:18 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Is there a way to get the toolbox to stay on top. If I am editing a window fullscreen, everytime I do something in the window, the toolbox disappears underneath.

BillK

Sven Neumann
2003-11-14 10:18:57 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Bill Kenworthy writes:

Is there a way to get the toolbox to stay on top. If I am editing a window fullscreen, everytime I do something in the window, the toolbox disappears underneath.

Fullscreen mode was really meant for editing, but of course you can configure your window manager to keep the window on top. If your WM doesn't allow this kind of configuration, I would suggest you use one that does.

Sven

David Neary
2003-11-14 11:20:35 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Bill Kenworthy wrote:

The common answer to this is "this is a window manager issue". We don't actually decide where windows get placed on the screen, or how, aside from doing things "properly" with respect to WM hints and session properties.

So you should check with your window manager to see if there is a way to indicate that a particular window will always stay on top.

That said, I can't find such an option on mine...

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2003-11-14 14:54:53 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

David Neary writes:

The common answer to this is "this is a window manager issue". We don't actually decide where windows get placed on the screen, or how, aside from doing things "properly" with respect to WM hints and session properties.

So you should check with your window manager to see if there is a way to indicate that a particular window will always stay on top.

I suggest to use Sawfish since it has very good support for applying individual rules based on sophisticated window matching. And it even has a user interface for this. I never had to edit any config files manually.

Sven

William Kenworthy
2003-11-15 01:25:42 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Thanks for the responses, its given me the hint needed. For those with gnome 2.4 and metacity, this may be handy:

http://www.asiatica.org/~ludo/archive/2003/10/Linux_metacity_on_top.html

BillK

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 21:54, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

David Neary writes:

I suggest to use Sawfish since it has very good support for applying individual rules based on sophisticated window matching. And it even has a user interface for this. I never had to edit any config files manually.

Sven
_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user