RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

problem "fake installing" gimp-1.3.22

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

problem "fake installing" gimp-1.3.22 Jacob Meuser 07 Nov 22:10
  problem "fake installing" gimp-1.3.22 Sven Neumann 08 Nov 16:01
   problem "fake installing" gimp-1.3.22 Daniel Rogers 08 Nov 22:56
    problem "fake installing" gimp-1.3.22 Sven Neumann 08 Nov 23:08
    problem "fake installing" gimp-1.3.22 Jacob Meuser 09 Nov 02:06
Jacob Meuser
2003-11-07 22:10:04 UTC (over 20 years ago)

I'm trying to build gimp-1.3.22 within OpenBSD's ports framework. It does a "fake install" and then builds a package from the "fake install root". I'm having a problem with libtool relinking libgimpmodule, and looking for libgimpbase in /usr/local instead of the "fake install root".

Here's a tail of the log:

chmod 644 /sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/fake-i386/usr/local/lib/libgimpmath-1.3.a libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /usr/local/lib' /bin/sh ../mkinstalldirs /sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/fake-i386/usr/local/include/gimp-1.3/libgimpmath mkdir -p -- /sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/fake-i386/usr/local/include/gimp-1.3/libgimpmath install -c -o root -g bin -m 444 gimpmath.h /sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/fake-i386/usr/local/include/gimp-1.3/libgimpmath/gimpmath.h install -c -o root -g bin -m 444 gimpmathtypes.h /sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/fake-i386/usr/local/include/gimp-1.3/libgimpmath/gimpmathtypes.h install -c -o root -g bin -m 444 gimpmatrix.h /sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/fake-i386/usr/local/include/gimp-1.3/libgimpmath/gimpmatrix.h install -c -o root -g bin -m 444 gimpmd5.h /sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/fake-i386/usr/local/include/gimp-1.3/libgimpmath/gimpmd5.h install -c -o root -g bin -m 444 gimpvector.h /sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/fake-i386/usr/local/include/gimp-1.3/libgimpmath/gimpvector.h gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/gimp-1.3.22/libgimpmath' gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/gimp-1.3.22/libgimpmath' Making install in libgimpmodule
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/gimp-1.3.22/libgimpmodule' gmake[2]: Entering directory `/sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/gimp-1.3.22/libgimpmodule' /bin/sh ../mkinstalldirs /sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/fake-i386/usr/local/lib /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c -o root -g bin libgimpmodule-1.3.la /sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/fake-i386/usr/local/lib/libgimpmodule-1.3.la libtool: install: warning: relinking `libgimpmodule-1.3.la' (cd /sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/gimp-1.3.22/libgimpmodule; /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=relink cc -O2 -Wall -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o libgimpmodule-1.3.la -rpath /usr/local/lib -version-info 22:0:0 gimpmodule.lo gimpmoduledb.lo ../libgimpbase/libgimpbase-1.3.la -L/usr/local/lib -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lintl -liconv -Wl,-E -L/usr/local/lib -lgmodule-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lintl -liconv -inst-prefix-dir /sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/fake-i386) cc -shared -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/libgimpmodule-1.3.so.22.0 .libs/gimpmodule.o .libs/gimpmoduledb.o -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libgimpbase-1.3.so.22.0 /usr/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0.10 /usr/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0.10 /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0.10 /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.1.1 /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so.3.0 -Wl,-E cc: /usr/local/lib/libgimpbase-1.3.so.22.0: No such file or directory libtool: install: error: relink `libgimpmodule-1.3.la' with the above command before installing it gmake[2]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1 gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/gimp-1.3.22/libgimpmodule' gmake[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/sandbox/portobj/gimp-1.3.22/gimp-1.3.22/libgimpmodule' gmake: *** [install-recursive] Error 1 *** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/mystuff/gimp/snapshot (line 1640 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk). --- Fri Nov 7 12:00:28 PST 2003

Any suggestions?

Sven Neumann
2003-11-08 16:01:10 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Jacob Meuser writes:

I'm trying to build gimp-1.3.22 within OpenBSD's ports framework. It does a "fake install" and then builds a package from the "fake install root". I'm having a problem with libtool relinking libgimpmodule, and looking for libgimpbase in /usr/local instead of the "fake install root".

AFAIK libtool does always relink the libraries at installation. I don't think there's a way around this but I might be wrong.

Sven

Daniel Rogers
2003-11-08 22:56:17 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Saturday, November 8, 2003, at 07:01 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Jacob Meuser writes:

AFAIK libtool does always relink the libraries at installation. I don't think there's a way around this but I might be wrong.

I don't think his problem is with relinking, per say. The problem is that he is "faking" and install by changing (I believe) the INSTALL_ROOT make variable. This is done to compare the installed files with the in place versions. The problem being encountered, I think, is that libtool is looking for libgimpbase in /usr/local instead of the fake install location (something like /var/tmp/ports//install/usr/local).

I still have no idea why this problem would show up, as I thought libtool knew how to handle fake installs.

-- Dan

Sven Neumann
2003-11-08 23:08:41 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Daniel Rogers writes:

I don't think his problem is with relinking, per say. The problem is that he is "faking" and install by changing (I believe) the INSTALL_ROOT make variable.

INSTALL_ROOT, what is that? You probably mean DESTDIR, don't you?

Sven

Jacob Meuser
2003-11-09 02:06:51 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 01:56:17PM -0800, Daniel Rogers wrote:

On Saturday, November 8, 2003, at 07:01 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Jacob Meuser writes:

I don't think his problem is with relinking, per say. The problem is that he is "faking" and install by changing (I believe) the INSTALL_ROOT make variable. This is done to compare the installed files with the in place versions. The problem being encountered, I think, is that libtool is looking for libgimpbase in /usr/local instead of the fake install location (something like /var/tmp/ports//install/usr/local).

Yes, this is what's happening.

I still have no idea why this problem would show up, as I thought libtool knew how to handle fake installs.

I thought so too (gimp-1.2.x, as well as a myriad of other apps, don't have this problem), but sometimes this happens with libtool.

I'll dig a little deeper into libtool and look at some other apps built with libtool to see if I can find why it's happening and how to change it.

Thanks,