RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Bugs?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Bugs? Eric Pierce 07 Nov 07:08
  Bugs? Henrik Brix Andersen 07 Nov 09:32
  Bugs? Sven Neumann 07 Nov 12:01
   Bugs? Eric Pierce 13 Nov 23:07
  Bugs? David Neary 07 Nov 12:48
   Bugs? Sven Neumann 07 Nov 15:24
    Bugs? David Neary 07 Nov 16:16
Eric Pierce
2003-11-07 07:08:56 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Bugs?

I'm going to list a few minor glitches I've noticed with recent builds of the Gimp (1.3.17-1.3.22), and I hope a few other people would either verify or counter these items before I fill out any bug reports.

All of these issues in Gimp for Linux and Windows (except where noted).

#1 If I have 2 or more linked layers and I use the move tool to try to move all the layers (with mouse or arrow keys), only the currently selected layer moves as opposed to all the linked layers. In Gimp 1.2.x, all linked layers move together when moved.

#2 In Gimp 1.2.x, an asterisk appears next to the file name in the title bar when changes have been made to an image. I don't see an asterisk in 1.3. Not a real biggie. Was it left out on purpose? Or am I missing a preference setting somewhere?

#3 With an image open, do View->Info Window. Don't close the Info Window. Now click on the image to give it focus and do View->Info Window again. The Info Window doesn't raise above the image. Shouldn't it come to the top and receive focus?

#4 This next one I've only seen on 1.3.22 under Windows. In fullscreen mode, I see no indication of a selected area (ie., no marching ants) when I make a selection. Note: I did pump up the ant marching speed to 75. I'll have to reset that and see what happens tomorrow at work.

#5 I've noticed some artifacts when doing work at high zoom levels. To replicate this, draw a little something (most anything will work), now zoom in on an area. Next select an area, copy it and move it around with the arrow keys.
Here's what I got just now:
http://epierce.freeshell.org/images/no_5.png See all the 1 pixel high artifacts that were left behind as I moved the image up to the left and right? It seems this only works if your zoom ratio becomes some exotic ratio like 167:83 as opposed to 1:4 or 4:1. Could this be related to Bug 124073
(http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=124073)?

That's it. Anyway, I don't mean to be nitpicky or anything. I just thought this is a good time to address some of these potential bugs since we're coming upon 2.0.

Thanks for reading! Eric Pierce

Henrik Brix Andersen
2003-11-07 09:32:38 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Bugs?

Hi,

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 07:08, Eric Pierce wrote:

#1 If I have 2 or more linked layers and I use the move tool to try to move all the layers (with mouse or arrow keys), only the currently selected layer moves as opposed to all the linked layers. In Gimp 1.2.x, all linked layers move together when moved.

I can not reproduce this with current CVS HEAD. When I link two layers and use the move tool on one of them, the other layers moves as well. Perhaps I misunderstood the problem?

#2 In Gimp 1.2.x, an asterisk appears next to the file name in the title bar when changes have been made to an image. I don't see an asterisk in 1.3. Not a real biggie. Was it left out on purpose? Or am I missing a preference setting somewhere?

This can be configured using File->Preferences->Title & Status. You need to add %D* to the beginning of the Image Title Format line. See also http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=120424

#3 With an image open, do View->Info Window. Don't close the Info Window. Now click on the image to give it focus and do View->Info Window again. The Info Window doesn't raise above the image. Shouldn't it come to the top and receive focus?

Yes, I would say it should focus the Info Window again. Please file a bug report on this.

#4 This next one I've only seen on 1.3.22 under Windows. In fullscreen mode, I see no indication of a selected area (ie., no marching ants) when I make a selection. Note: I did pump up the ant marching speed to 75. I'll have to reset that and see what happens tomorrow at work.

Try right-clicking the image to display the image menu. Then chose View->Show Selection.

If you would like the selection to be shown by default when in fullscreen mode you can change the behavior in File->Preferences->Appearance.

#5 I've noticed some artifacts when doing work at high zoom levels. To replicate this, draw a little something (most anything will work), now zoom in on an area. Next select an area, copy it and move it around with the arrow keys.
http://epierce.freeshell.org/images/no_5.png See all the 1 pixel high artifacts that were left behind as I moved the image up to the left and right? It seems this only works if your zoom ratio becomes some exotic ratio like 167:83 as opposed to 1:4 or 4:1. Could this be related to Bug 124073

I can easily reproduce that here. I thought there already was a report about it in bugzilla, but I can't seem to locate it now. Please file a bug report about it and attach no_5.png to it.

That's it. Anyway, I don't mean to be nitpicky or anything. I just thought this is a good time to address some of these potential bugs since we're coming upon 2.0.

Reporting found bugs is always a good thing :)

Sincerely, ./Brix

Sven Neumann
2003-11-07 12:01:05 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Bugs?

Hi,

"Eric Pierce" writes:

In GIMP-1.3 all linked layers move together if the layer you are moving is linked as well.

You are missing a Preference setting. See "Image Windows->Title and Status" and check what the gimprc-1.3 manpage says.

Yes indeed. Please file a bug report for this. But the the info window as is is supposed to be replaced in the short term anyway...

Again, you missed a Preference setting. Fullscreen mode is now fully configurable and the default setup is to have the fullscreen view show the image w/o any layer or selection boundaries. (Is anyone actually reading what I write into the NEWS file??).

Sven

David Neary
2003-11-07 12:48:34 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Bugs?

Hi,

Eric Pierce wrote:

I'm going to list a few minor glitches I've noticed with recent builds of the Gimp (1.3.17-1.3.22), and I hope a few other people would either verify or counter these items before I fill out any bug reports.

The best thing to do is to search bugzilla with the keywords of your bugs, and if you don't find any existing bugs, to create it. If it's not a bug, it will be marked as invalid pretty quickly. As if it is, it has a higher probability of getting fixed.

This doesn't appear to have a bug associated with it.

The contents of the image window and the status bar are now customisable in the preferences. The %D format string gives you the dirty flag. %D* will add a * to the title if the image is dirty, %D@ will add a @. This is not very well documented at the moment... the format strings supported are in app/display/gimpdisplayshell-title.c

Perhaps... I suspect this is a window manager issue. In any case, please open a bug against the gimp for this, and it'll get redirected.

As of 1.3.22 there are two sets of preferences for the display - full screen and normal. Please check that marching ants are on for full screen mode.

#5 I've noticed some artifacts when doing work at high zoom levels. To Could this be related to Bug 124073

Perhaps - could you add a comment to that bug with this image as an attachment?

It's good to hear about bugs :) But the best place for them is bugzilla.

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2003-11-07 15:24:12 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Bugs?

Hi,

David Neary writes:

The contents of the image window and the status bar are now customisable in the preferences. The %D format string gives you the dirty flag. %D* will add a * to the title if the image is dirty, %D@ will add a @. This is not very well documented at the moment...

This is very well documented in the gimprc manpage.

Sven

David Neary
2003-11-07 16:16:11 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Bugs?

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

David Neary writes:

The contents of the image window and the status bar are now customisable in the preferences. The %D format string gives you the dirty flag. %D* will add a * to the title if the image is dirty, %D@ will add a @. This is not very well documented at the moment...

This is very well documented in the gimprc manpage.

I stand corrected. There is also complete documentation in the system gimprc file. However, those are probably not places that people will go to look for docs on the preferences dialog. I think we can agree that while there are lots of docs for the preferences, there is no way to know where to look at them from looking at the preferences dialog.

Perhaps context help (gimp-help project?) would help here.

Cheers, Dave.

Eric Pierce
2003-11-13 23:07:52 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Bugs?

Hi,

"Eric Pierce" writes:

In GIMP-1.3 all linked layers move together if the layer you are moving is linked as well.

Ah... I see. This has changed a tad from Gimp 1.2.x. In 1.2.x, the current selected layer counted as a linked layer whether the link box was checked or not, whereas in 1.3.x I must select the link box on the current selected layer in order to include it with the other linked layers. That works.

You are missing a Preference setting. See "Image Windows->Title and Status" and check what the gimprc-1.3 manpage says.

Thanks, Brix. %D* does the trick.

Yes indeed. Please file a bug report for this. But the the info window as is is supposed to be replaced in the short term anyway...

I will.

Again, you missed a Preference setting. Fullscreen mode is now fully configurable and the default setup is to have the fullscreen view show the image w/o any layer or selection boundaries. (Is anyone actually reading what I write into the NEWS file??).

Er... didn't catch that one. Thanks for the tip.

#5 I've noticed some artifacts when doing work at high zoom levels. To replicate this, draw a little something (most anything will work), now zoom in on an area. Next select an area, copy it and move it around with
the arrow keys.

I can easily reproduce that here. I thought there already was a report about it in bugzilla, but I can't seem to locate it now. Please file a bug report about it and attach no_5.png to it.

Will do.

Thanks everybody.
Eric Pierce