RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

installing gimp-1.2.5-6mdk

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

installing gimp-1.2.5-6mdk david 27 Oct 11:40
  installing gimp-1.2.5-6mdk Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 27 Oct 14:04
  installing gimp-1.2.5-6mdk Joao S. O. Bueno 27 Oct 14:16
   installing gimp-1.2.5-6mdk david 27 Oct 16:50
david
2003-10-27 11:40:23 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi

I downloaded and then attempted to install the above rpm of the gimp. I had two dependency problems the first I met-libgimp1.2-1.2.5-6mdk.i586.rpm.

The second is proving trickier. The second dependency is a perl file called file::Slurp. Last night I cpan'ed the file. I thought everything should be ok...so I went for a retry in installing gimp. gimp still thought the file was missing. So this morning I went directly to the cpan website and downloaded the Slurp source file. That installed ok. I retryed installing the gimp. Again the Slurp file was not recognised. So I thought sod-it and installed the gimp with --nodeps. It installed ok. The gimp opened ok aswell. But I wonder if the gimp will function ok without file::Slurp?

david

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2003-10-27 14:04:41 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:40:23AM +0000, david wrote:

The second is proving trickier. The second dependency is a perl file called file::Slurp. Last night I cpan'ed the file. I thought

No matter how often you download and install File::Slurp, rpm won't take notice of that.

You would need a rpm of that perl module, which probably is somewhere near the original rpm, or part of your distribution (mandrake?).

not recognised. So I thought sod-it and installed the gimp with --nodeps. It installed ok. The gimp opened ok aswell. But I wonder if the gimp will function ok without file::Slurp?

If File::Slurp is installed gimp will use it. It's just that the rpm insists on having a _rpm_ version of File::Slurp. If you install it without rpm and override rpm using --nodeps all should be fine.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-10-27 14:16:16 UTC (over 20 years ago)

The GIMP, in your case, is not installed without SLURP at all, because you installed it manually.

Actually, your problems have absolutely nothing to do with The GIMP per se - they are rpm related.

Let me try not to confuse you: RPM is a system to automate the instalation of (oftenly) pre-compiled programs. One part that it automates is to check if all the other programs/files the desired program requires are installed on your system. The trick is that RPM doesn't check against the files themselves, but check in a RPM database. This means that it will only know about programs that you install using RPM itself.

In your case, you say you hand-installed SLURP, so the file never got registered at the RPM database, as this is a step RPM itself performs when installing a file, and so, as far as RPM can tell, that file is not installed.

However, for the GIMP, if the file can be located at all, it will work normally.

On another issue, if it is a perl file, the most it can do is break part of GIMP-perl functionality. This doesn't affect core GIMP functionality at all, as gimp-perl is optional.

Regards, JS
->

On Monday 27 October 2003 8:40 am, david wrote:

Hi

I downloaded and then attempted to install the above rpm of the gimp. I had two dependency problems the first I met-libgimp1.2-1.2.5-6mdk.i586.rpm.

The second is proving trickier. The second dependency is a perl file called file::Slurp. Last night I cpan'ed the file. I thought everything should be ok...so I went for a retry in installing gimp. gimp still thought the file was missing. So this morning I went directly to the cpan website and downloaded the Slurp source file. That installed ok. I retryed installing the gimp. Again the Slurp file was not recognised. So I thought sod-it and installed the gimp with --nodeps. It installed ok. The gimp opened ok aswell. But I wonder if the gimp will function ok without file::Slurp?

david

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

david
2003-10-27 16:50:39 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi

thanks everyone for the help/advice. I was just a bit concerned about this matter.

David

Ps--interesting info all the same.

Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

The GIMP, in your case, is not installed without SLURP at all, because you installed it manually.

Actually, your problems have absolutely nothing to do with The GIMP per se - they are rpm related.

Let me try not to confuse you: RPM is a system to automate the instalation of (oftenly) pre-compiled programs. One part that it automates is to check if all the other programs/files the desired program requires are installed on your system. The trick is that RPM doesn't check against the files themselves, but check in a RPM database. This means that it will only know about programs that you install using RPM itself.

In your case, you say you hand-installed SLURP, so the file never got registered at the RPM database, as this is a step RPM itself performs when installing a file, and so, as far as RPM can tell, that file is not installed.

However, for the GIMP, if the file can be located at all, it will work normally.

On another issue, if it is a perl file, the most it can do is break part of GIMP-perl functionality. This doesn't affect core GIMP functionality at all, as gimp-perl is optional.

Regards, JS
->

On Monday 27 October 2003 8:40 am, david wrote:

Hi

david