RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

filmgimp and gap

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

filmgimp and gap Carol Spears 14 Sep 02:07
  filmgimp and gap sam ende 14 Sep 11:21
  filmgimp and gap David Neary 14 Sep 21:13
filmgimp and gap Carol Spears 14 Sep 15:37
  filmgimp and gap sam ende 15 Sep 07:51
  filmgimp and gap Raymond Ostertag 15 Sep 21:41
filmgimp and gap Carol Spears 14 Sep 16:06
sam@sende.freeserve.co.uk 07 Oct 20:15
  filmgimp and gap David Burren 14 Sep 13:55
   filmgimp and gap sam ende 15 Sep 07:36
Carol Spears
2003-09-14 02:07:00 UTC (over 20 years ago)

filmgimp and gap

what is the difference between these two things?

carol ]

sam ende
2003-09-14 11:21:26 UTC (over 20 years ago)

filmgimp and gap

On Sunday 14 September 2003 01:07, Carol Spears wrote:

i'm not sure either, though i have thought that gap might be 'easier' to run without gimp on machines that have limited resources, maybe i'm wrong, i have no idea of the technologies involved. whati have been doing with gap is to use xaos output and add effects. gap does not support png though and what i do is to open the first image of the sequence and then convert them all to jpegs, after doing whatever it is i do i then can use gap to make an mpeg. i can't do any of that with cinepaint afaik. a problem i have found is that an image created in xaos is 'out of image resolution bounds' according to gimp, not knowing how to change that i end up often generating a couple of thousand message errors :), does this have something to do with the 8 bit resolution thingy ? (sorry, i am really not technology minded).

cinepaint doesn't seem to have any of the functions gap has ? i fact i haven't been able to discern what functions it does have that gimp doesn't, so i'm not sure why one would want to merge ?

s

David Burren
2003-09-14 13:55:56 UTC (over 20 years ago)

filmgimp and gap

sam ende wrote:

cinepaint doesn't seem to have any of the functions gap has ? i fact i haven't been able to discern what functions it does have that gimp doesn't, so i'm not sure why one would want to merge ?

I say again: support for 16(48)-bit images!

Gimp will read them in but immediately throw away the lower 8 bits. For those of us dealing with 16-bit (actually, often 12-bit but the extra 4 bits are irrelevant in this) film scans and raw files from digital cameras, this is very important.

BTW, what's gap? The only GAP I'm aware of is the Gnu Administration Project.
__
David B.

Carol Spears
2003-09-14 15:37:11 UTC (over 20 years ago)

filmgimp and gap

sam ende wrote:

On Sunday 14 September 2003 01:07, Carol Spears wrote:

i'm not sure either, though i have thought that gap might be 'easier' to run without gimp on machines that have limited resources, maybe i'm wrong, i have no idea of the technologies involved. whati have been doing with gap is to use xaos output and add effects. gap does not support png though and what i do is to open the first image of the sequence and then convert them all to jpegs, after doing whatever it is i do i then can use gap to make an mpeg. i can't do any of that with cinepaint afaik. a problem i have found is that an image created in xaos is 'out of image resolution bounds' according to gimp, not knowing how to change that i end up often generating a couple of thousand message errors :), does this have something to do with the 8 bit resolution thingy ? (sorry, i am really not technology minded).

s

well, lets work on gap then.

i was not able to build it from cvs, but the tarball i got from http://sven.gimp.org worked. to be honest, i have not played with this plugin very much. i have a tough time with a single image ....

can someone add png and mng support to it? both png and mng have that comment space :)

carol

Carol Spears
2003-09-14 16:06:20 UTC (over 20 years ago)

filmgimp and gap

David Burren wrote:

sam ende wrote:

Gimp will read them in but immediately throw away the lower 8 bits. For those of us dealing with 16-bit (actually, often 12-bit but the extra 4 bits are irrelevant in this) film scans and raw files from digital cameras, this is very important.

BTW, what's gap? The only GAP I'm aware of is the Gnu Administration Project.
__
David B.

gimp-gap is available via gnomecvs: http://mmmaybe.gimp.org/source/howtos/stable-cvs-get.html

instead of "cvs checkout -r gimp-1-2 gimp" type "cvs checkout gimp-gap"

however, i was unable to build the plugin from cvs. i did get the tarball from http://sven.gimp.org to work.

can support be added for the extra colors? and a stand alone (i was able to run gimpimpressionist from my brothers 486 because it could stand alone) would be very nice, especially for me since i have a huge collection of ancient computers.

carol

ps, does anyone have a mutt config i could look at?

David Neary
2003-09-14 21:13:10 UTC (over 20 years ago)

filmgimp and gap

Carol Spears wrote:

Filmgimp (now Cinepaint) is a branch of the gimp. That is, it's a complete image processing application. The framemanager (perhaps what you're thinking of) is a plug-in for that application. GAP is a plug-in for unstable gimp, which shares a lot of functionality with the frame manager.

By the way, for those who don't know, the GAP plug-in is available in CVS (CVSROOT=
:pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome, module gimp-gap). Note that you will need your gimp development stuff on the search paths of the applications we use to build from CVS (notably, gimp-2.0.m4 should be in the path specified in ACLOCAL_FLAGS and gimp-2.0.pc should be on PKGCONFIG_PATH).

Cheers, Dave.

sam ende
2003-09-15 07:36:06 UTC (over 20 years ago)

filmgimp and gap

On Sunday 14 September 2003 12:55, David Burren wrote:

sam ende wrote:

ok. other than that though cinepaint isn't all that impressive and adding every function into gimp is making it into a bit of a monster resource wise, maybe we could do differnt versions, gimp light or something like that. ( i'm being flippant, i know :)

s

sam ende
2003-09-15 07:51:21 UTC (over 20 years ago)

filmgimp and gap

On Sunday 14 September 2003 14:37, Carol Spears wrote:

well, lets work on gap then.

it's not a bad program, not much available documantation wise which has its plus and minus points, i discover you can do things it was probably never intended for but otoh finding i'm doing things in ways totally convoluted and uneccesary and so i hesitate to write it up myself.

i was not able to build it from cvs, but the tarball i got from http://sven.gimp.org worked. to be honest, i have not played with this plugin very much. i have a tough time with a single image ....

can someone add png and mng support to it? both png and mng have that comment space :)

it would be useful. remember i asked a while back how to convert pngs ? turns out you can do it in gimp with gap (duh :) and way easier than imagemagik and the like as it keeps the numbering sequence necessary for further work, but it would be much more useful if one didn't have to convert in the first place.

s

Raymond Ostertag
2003-09-15 21:41:07 UTC (over 20 years ago)

filmgimp and gap

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 09:37:11 -0400 Carol Spears wrote:

Hello Carol,

Now that MNG is supported in Gimp 1.3 you can create MNG animations with the GAP, follow Jimmac tut :
http://jimmac.musichall.cz/tutor2.php3

I made this one with the Gap : http://gug.sunsite.dk/pictures/1040666463.gif Should not be a problem now to save it as MNG.

@+ Raymond