RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Cropping question

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Cropping question David McWilliams 20 Aug 21:22
  Cropping question Daniel Carrera 20 Aug 21:29
   Cropping question Sven Neumann 20 Aug 22:35
  Cropping question Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero 20 Aug 21:43
  Cropping question Joao S. O. Bueno 20 Aug 22:03
  Cropping question Sven Neumann 20 Aug 22:31
David McWilliams
2003-08-20 21:22:23 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Cropping question

I don't know of a easy way of doing this, so I guess that's why I am asking.

I used a digital camera that can give me output @ 1600x1200, an aspect ratio of 1.33:1. As we all pretty much know, standard photo prints most commonly come in 6"x4", 1.33:1, or 7"x5", 1.67:1, 10"x8", 1.25:1.

Is there a way of accurately cropping a print to a desired aspect ratio. For example, I have a 1600x1200 shot that has some stuff that I could loose, but still be left with a image good for an OK 7"x5". If I just resize it to an appropriate aspect ratio, I still get the junk.

What I'm looking for is some kind of 'selection box', or a selectable aspect ratio, standard or not, that is also resizable that will enable me to select a portion of an image and get rid of the rest.

Is there an easy way?

Hope this makes sense to someone.

Thanks in advance,

David

===== Checkout the McWilliams family website @ http://davidmcw.tripod.com/

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
Daniel Carrera
2003-08-20 21:29:08 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Cropping question

Maybe I've missed your question entirely, but if I haven't, you might consider resizeing the canvas (don't rescale the image, resize the canvas). Use the move tool to move the layer so the stuff off the canvas is the stuff you'd rather lose. Save in your favourite image format and presto.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 12:22:23PM -0700, David McWilliams wrote:

I used a digital camera that can give me output @ 1600x1200, an aspect ratio of 1.33:1. As we all pretty much know, standard photo prints most commonly come in 6"x4", 1.33:1, or 7"x5", 1.67:1, 10"x8", 1.25:1.

Is there a way of accurately cropping a print to a desired aspect ratio. For example, I have a 1600x1200 shot that has some stuff that I could loose, but still be left with a image good for an OK 7"x5". If I just resize it to an appropriate aspect ratio, I still get the junk.

What I'm looking for is some kind of 'selection box', or a selectable aspect ratio, standard or not, that is also resizable that will enable me to select a portion of an image and get rid of the rest.

Is there an easy way?

Thanks in advance,

David

__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2003-08-20 21:43:23 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Cropping question

davidkmcw@yahoo.com (2003-08-20 at 1222.23 -0700):

Is there an easy way?

For the moment, no, there is not a easy way, you get aspect ratio (via rectangle select) or resizable (via crop tool), but not both. Check bugzilla or mailing list archives, it has been covered at least a couple of times.

GSR

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-08-20 22:03:29 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Cropping question

Hi there!

I do not know if this list has got a FAQ or not...but it seens like this one is going to be #1 when such a FAQ is updated.

I can imagine: 1) How to make a fixed aspect ratio crop? ....

2) What is the GIMP?

___________ Regardless, let's put hands on it:

Double click on the "rectangular selection" tool icon. Click on the "fixed size/ratio" widgstuffie and choose your ratio. Start a selection,and while holding the left button down, hold SHIFT on the keyboard.
To move the selection around after it's done, holt ALT + click and drag. To crop image to the selection, choose the crop tool, click on the image, and click on the "from selection" button.

Regards, JS
->

David McWilliams wrote:

Is there an easy way?

Thanks in advance,

David

__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Sven Neumann
2003-08-20 22:31:39 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Cropping question

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 21:22, David McWilliams wrote:

The rect-select allows to set a fixed aspect ratio. You can use it to select the part of the image you want to keep, then crop to that area. In GIMP-1.3 there's a menu shortcut for cropping to selection, while in version 1.2 you need to use the "From Selection" button offered by the Crop tool.

Yes, we should add an aspect ratio setting to the Crop tool to ease this rather common task...

Sven

Sven Neumann
2003-08-20 22:35:10 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Cropping question

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 21:29, Daniel Carrera wrote:

Maybe I've missed your question entirely, but if I haven't, you might consider resizeing the canvas (don't rescale the image, resize the canvas). Use the move tool to move the layer so the stuff off the canvas is the stuff you'd rather lose. Save in your favourite image format and presto.

I don't recommened that. At least you would have to resize the layer to image-size before you save or you might end up with an image of the original size. Most file plug-in don't care about the image dimension and will save an image with the full layer size.

Sven