RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Color management preferences not working and other CM stuff

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

14 of 14 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

lcms plugin crashing Hal V. Engel 13 Jan 23:17
  lcms plugin crashing Sven Neumann 14 Jan 11:32
  lcms plugin crashing Tor Lillqvist 14 Jan 14:08
   lcms plugin crashing Hal V. Engel 15 Jan 04:59
    lcms plugin crashing Hal V. Engel 15 Jan 21:02
     lcms plugin crashing Sven Neumann 15 Jan 21:16
      lcms plugin crashing Hal V. Engel 15 Jan 22:12
       Color management preferences not working and other CM stuff Hal V. Engel 16 Jan 03:45
        Color management preferences not working and other CM stuff Frédéric 16 Jan 07:49
        Color management preferences not working and other CM stuff Sven Neumann 16 Jan 08:47
         Color management preferences not working and other CM stuff Alexandre Prokoudine 16 Jan 09:16
          Color management preferences not working and other CM stuff Sven Neumann 16 Jan 09:33
           Color management preferences not working and other CM stuff Christopher Curtis 17 Jan 15:45
            Color management preferences not working and other CM stuff Sven Neumann 18 Jan 08:08
Hal V. Engel
2007-01-13 23:17:24 UTC (over 17 years ago)

lcms plugin crashing

I have noticed that recent CVS builds will issue the following error when opening some files with embedded profiles:

GIMP Message

Plug-in crashed: "lcms" (/usr/lib64/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/lcms)

The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP internal state....

GIMP Message

Error running 'plug-in-icc-profile-apply-rgb'

Has anyone else seen this? I can supply an example image for reproducing this if anyone is interested. The image has a significant color cast when opened. Other apps like Krita, Scribus, Cinepaint and LProf can open the image and correctly color manage the same image.

Hal

Sven Neumann
2007-01-14 11:32:33 UTC (over 17 years ago)

lcms plugin crashing

Hi,

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 14:17 -0800, Hal V. Engel wrote:

I have noticed that recent CVS builds will issue the following error when opening some files with embedded profiles:

Please give us a link to an image that shows this problem so that we can investigate.

Sven

Tor Lillqvist
2007-01-14 14:08:33 UTC (over 17 years ago)

lcms plugin crashing

Hal V. Engel writes:
> I have noticed that recent CVS builds will issue the following error when > opening some files with embedded profiles:

How recent? Could this be the problem fixed by:

2007-01-03 Tor Lillqvist

* plug-ins/common/lcms.c (run): Fix mixup in retrieving the filename parameter.

(Which fixed a crash in lcms for me.)

--tml

Hal V. Engel
2007-01-15 04:59:09 UTC (over 17 years ago)

lcms plugin crashing

On Sunday 14 January 2007 05:08, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

Hal V. Engel writes:
> I have noticed that recent CVS builds will issue the following error > when opening some files with embedded profiles:

2007-01-03 Tor Lillqvist

--tml

My build was just two days ago and it appears the above change appears to be from about 11 days ago. I will post a test image and let you know where it is. I will also test with other profiles to see how it affects this problem.

Hal

Hal V. Engel
2007-01-15 21:02:13 UTC (over 17 years ago)

lcms plugin crashing

On Sunday 14 January 2007 19:59, Hal V. Engel wrote:

On Sunday 14 January 2007 05:08, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

Hal V. Engel writes:
> I have noticed that recent CVS builds will issue the following error > when opening some files with embedded profiles:

2007-01-03 Tor Lillqvist

--tml

My build was just two days ago and it appears the above change appears to be from about 11 days ago. I will post a test image and let you know where it is. I will also test with other profiles to see how it affects this problem.

Hal

I just tried CVS to make sure that the problem was still there (it is). An image with an embedded profile that causes the problem is located here:

http://lprof.sourceforge.net/images/targetscanvelvia-profile.jpg

Hal

Sven Neumann
2007-01-15 21:16:13 UTC (over 17 years ago)

lcms plugin crashing

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 12:02 -0800, Hal V. Engel wrote:

I just tried CVS to make sure that the problem was still there (it is). An image with an embedded profile that causes the problem is located here:

Works fine for me. Did you really try CVS as you wrote? That might explain it because the GIMP source has been migrated to Subversion. So if you are still checking out from CVS, you don't have the latest version.

Sven

Hal V. Engel
2007-01-15 22:12:00 UTC (over 17 years ago)

lcms plugin crashing

On Monday 15 January 2007 12:16, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 12:02 -0800, Hal V. Engel wrote:

Works fine for me. Did you really try CVS as you wrote? That might explain it because the GIMP source has been migrated to Subversion. So if you are still checking out from CVS, you don't have the latest version.

Sven

I guess I missed that GIMP had moved to Subversion. Looking on the net it appears that this was announced to the gimp-developer list on Dec. 30, 2006. Looking at my gimp-developer email folder it appears that for some reason I did not receive that particular email. So that would explain why I missed the announcement. I will test with the svn version but if it is working for Sven it is likely to be OK.

Hal

Hal V. Engel
2007-01-16 03:45:10 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I just built GIMP from subversion trunk. This did fix the lcms plugin error. But on my system the color management preferences are not working. Specifically when I try to change any of the profiles there are significant issues. At first I though that perhaps my configuration was corrupted but removing it and letting gimp recreate it did not fix the problem (#1 below).

1. After setting one of the profiles (for example the monitor profile) in the preferences dialog it disappears after the dialog is closed. Almost like I had pressed Cancel instead of OK. That is when reopening the dialog this is reset to (None). This is happening with all of the profile settings in the dialog.

2. The profile file dialog currently does not use system standard profile directories. I know that this will not be fixed in the upcoming release.

3. The file dialog does not have a way to show hidden directories that I have been able to find other than typing in the path. This is probably a GTK issue rather than a GIMP issue. But it does make the dialog more difficult to use if you keep your profiles in the Linux standard user location for these files (IE. ~/.color/icc). I know this will not be fixed for 2.4 but would it be possible to set this up so that it at least remembers where the user last opened a profile and defaults to that location instead of always opening in the current directory? That way once I open a profile in ~/.color/icc the dialog would open in that same location the next time.

4. The file type filter on the profile file dialog is limited to *.icc or all files. Since profiles can also have a .icm extension that needs to be added to the ICC Profile filter.

5. Of course this has already been touched on but most applications that do color management do not present users with lists of files names for profiles. Rather they use a widget that parses the profiles in (at least) a given directory or, better, all system standard locations for profiles and uses the profile description tag to build a list of available profiles for the user. In addition, these widgets usually will also filter the profiles and only present users with a list of those that are of the correct type for the current context (IE. only display profiles if a user is selecting a monitor profile). In general profile file names tend to be rather cryptic and the description tag tends to be more user friendly. Unfortunately writing such a widget is somewhat involved and the only GTK application that I know of that has this feature is Cinepaint. All of the other open source apps that do this that I know about are QT based (LProf, Scribus and Krita). I know that this will not make it into 2.4 but it does need to get done at some point. Perhaps this can make it into 2.4.1 or 2.5/2.6 or whatever version is next.

There should also be a UI for users to:

1. Embed profiles into images. 2. Do color space conversions to images.

These are both missing at this point. Separate and separate+ does some of #2 but is rather specialized (IE. looks like it should be part of a CMYK printing work flow). The color manager plugin by Jordi Canton has this functionality but likely needs to be updated to work with gimp 2.3 and would need some work to make the UI a little more user friendly. If these changes were made to this plugin it would be good to include this as part of GIMP. Perhaps this could be done as part of the next release but I would really like to see something like this in 2.4. Without this implementing a full CM work flow is much more difficult for users.

Hal

Frédéric
2007-01-16 07:49:26 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 03:45, Hal V. Engel wrote:

3. The file dialog does not have a way to show hidden directories that I have been able to find other than typing in the path.  This is probably a GTK issue rather than a GIMP issue.

Just right-click on the file list and you'll see a pop-up menu showing an option to let you display or not hidden files.

This *is* a GTK issue ;o)

Sven Neumann
2007-01-16 08:47:36 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

some of these things will be fixed for 2.4. But we can't delay the release any further and this means that color management is not going to be fully functional and usable in 2.4. We plan to have 2.6 out shortly after so I am currently postponing pretty much everything related to color management to the 2.6 release.

Perhaps in the next development cycle, there will not only be people who point out problems and request features but also someone who wants to do the coding. Otherwise it might taken even longer before a full CM workflow is implemented.

Sven

Alexandre Prokoudine
2007-01-16 09:16:08 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 1/16/07, Sven Neumann wrote:

We plan to have 2.6 out shortly after so I am currently postponing pretty much everything related to color management to the 2.6 release.

Is 2.6 going to be bugfix release or a first stable version using GEGL/babl?

Alexandre

Sven Neumann
2007-01-16 09:33:46 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 11:16 +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

We plan to have 2.6 out shortly after so I am currently postponing pretty much everything related to color management to the 2.6 release.

Is 2.6 going to be bugfix release or a first stable version using GEGL/babl?

2.6 has an even minor version number so it's obviously a stable release series. It will most probably use GEGL at a few places internally, but the users are not likely going to notice that. Currently the plan for 2.6 is to finish some stuff that wasn't completed in time for 2.4 and to start porting the core to GEGL. Perhaps we should also start porting the display code to Cairo. But that depends on whether someone wants to work on this or not.

Sven

Christopher Curtis
2007-01-17 15:45:13 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 1/16/07, Sven Neumann wrote:

2.6 has an even minor version number so it's obviously a stable release

Obvious only to people who don't need to ask.

series. It will most probably use GEGL at a few places internally, but [...] 2.6 is to finish some stuff that wasn't completed in time for 2.4 and to start porting the core to GEGL. Perhaps we should also start porting the display code to Cairo. But that depends on whether someone wants to work on this or not.

Something to consider, I think, is momentum. I think that people want to be part of a vibrant developer community. If a project does not have this, it may be beneficial to create an artificial one by increasing the number of releases. To this end, it may be wise to make future releases more "bite-sized": 2.6 implements CMS workflow and fixes 2.4 problems. 2.8 introduces Cairo rendering. And then 3.0 can integrate GEGL.

GEGL of course has the same problem (limited developers) so it may be wise to do some partial integration where reasonable through the 2.x series to help keep that project going - people want to see the results of their efforts. More releases furthers this goal, and also entices new users to try the new features. This can create a nice feedback loop where lots of little changes can be cleaned up across each release. I don't think that additional stable releases further this goal because the GIMP generally just works. Bug fixes here and there just aren't exciting.

Now, I'm not trying to be so bold as to propose a schedule, but it seems that if there were three or four releases this year - 2.4 now, then 2.6, 2.8, and maybe a 2.10 - that's roughly four months per release. Asking people to "wait for the next release to include your plugin" doesn't sound so severe then. The biggest burden I think would fall to the translators, which is something that developers just need to be sensitive to.

The 3.0 release doesn't have to be so quick, assuming that GEGL integration upsets things. If timed properly, it may be wise to adapt a schedule to the Google summer of code program. The implication then being that this would complete summer 2009. Of course, that also means that this has to be a reasonable SoC project.

Finally, in relation to my first comment, every mailing list has its share of hostile people. If developers truly want a large and vibrant development community, somebody needs to be a welcoming beacon. Condenscending remarks (blah blah is _obvious_) are damaging to that goal. There needs to be a consistent voice that welcomes masses of newbies asking "dumb questions" in hopes that some kernel within that mass are new GIMP developers that just need a little nurturing. (If it _should_ be obvious to someone, replying privately is better because the tone of the list matters.)

Also, and this is related to above, I think we (all) should recognize the growing numbers of people running free software on non-free platforms and realize that they are important parts of the user base. Linux, for example, is not as scary to people who are already familiar with and use its software. But in order for them to use that software, it has to be a good experience on that non-free platform. "You mean if I buy a computer with Linux it already has the GIMP installed? Great!"

For your consideration, Chris

Sven Neumann
2007-01-18 08:08:37 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 09:45 -0500, Christopher Curtis wrote:

Something to consider, I think, is momentum. I think that people want to be part of a vibrant developer community. If a project does not have this, it may be beneficial to create an artificial one by increasing the number of releases. To this end, it may be wise to make future releases more "bite-sized": 2.6 implements CMS workflow and fixes 2.4 problems. 2.8 introduces Cairo rendering. And then 3.0 can integrate GEGL.

That's what we are targeting for with 2.6. It will be a short development cycle with only very few changes. But there are people waiting to be able to commit GEGL code into the GIMP tree. So we will definitely not wait with that. The transition to GEGL will take a while anyway and the user won't notice in the beginning anyway.

Now, I'm not trying to be so bold as to propose a schedule, but it seems that if there were three or four releases this year - 2.4 now, then 2.6, 2.8, and maybe a 2.10 - that's roughly four months per release. Asking people to "wait for the next release to include your plugin" doesn't sound so severe then. The biggest burden I think would fall to the translators, which is something that developers just need to be sensitive to.

Four releases per year is impractical. We wouldn't get anything done because we would be busy preparing releases all the time. Even the two releases per year schedule that GNOME is running is considered to be too short by most developers.

And we can't release 2.4 now. It may even take another four months before we are there. Have a look at the bug reports on milestone 2.4. A few of them can be postponed but there are still some major ones that absolutely have to be addressed.

Sven