RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

color management

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

color management Alexandre Prokoudine 13 Jan 11:35
  color management Sven Neumann 13 Jan 16:32
   color management Alexandre Prokoudine 16 Jan 09:23
    color management Sven Neumann 16 Jan 09:38
     color management Alexander Rabtchevich 16 Jan 09:53
      color management Marco Ciampa 16 Jan 11:16
  color management Yoshinori Yamakawa 14 Jan 20:42
Alexandre Prokoudine
2007-01-13 11:35:43 UTC (over 17 years ago)

color management

Hi,

Since Sven proposed discussing 2.4 in mailing list and none of my questions/proposals are reflected in the bugzilla, here they are. Before you read any further, please note that I'm not trying to look smarter than you, I'm just initiating discussion ;-) Please prove me wrong where I am wrong.

1. Is it planned to have separate+ as part of 2.4? There was some mentioning of it in gimp-developer@, but the thread came from some other mailing list or a private discussion, so no clues.

2. If it is planned to have separate+ as part of 2.4, we need a better place for its menu entries and a better integration into core (more below).

3. Is it planned to support OpenIcc's initiative to look for profiles in /usr/color/icc and ~/color/icc on Linux and standard profiles directories on other systems? If no, why?

4. If the answer to 3) is "yes", is it planned to implement reading device classes from ICC profiles and group profiles in comboboxes in "Color management" tab of Preferences dialog, showing names and not filenames, which would improve usability? If it is planned to have separate+ as part of 2.4 and make GIMP read device classes, then Separate/Proof/Save dialogs will have to be redesigned in a consistent manner as well (more below).

5. Main question: is color management going to be enabled by default in 2.4? With Scribus we found out that users actually demand it (on all platforms) and that it is safe, if sane defaults are used.

Now on separate+ plug-in.

If there are some requirements it doesn't meet to be part of 2.4, what are those?

Currently the functionality is spread across 5 dialogs:

1. Duotone. Traditionally people would expect this in /Image/Mode, but this duotone is not a real image mode, but an emulation. What would be the best place to your mind?

2. Proof. This should live in some obvious place in /Image/. Only context valid profiles should be suggested (see question 4 above).

3. Save. Ideally, this should be a "CMYK separated TIFF image" option in Save/Save As/Save As Copy dialogs. Only context valid profiles should be suggested (see question 4 above).

4. Separate (normal). I don't know, what's the best place in menu is. What do you think?

5. Separate (to Colour). Same as above.

I would also merge "normal" and "to Colour" into one dialog with a combobox or a radiobuttons group to switch between them and a hint explaining the difference.

It would be great hearing from you.

Cheers, Alexandre

Sven Neumann
2007-01-13 16:32:28 UTC (over 17 years ago)

color management

Hi,

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 13:35 +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

1. Is it planned to have separate+ as part of 2.4? There was some mentioning of it in gimp-developer@, but the thread came from some other mailing list or a private discussion, so no clues.

I thought about having it in 2.4 but I think it's probably best distributed seperately until we find the time to integrate it properly. Since we are almost ready for 2.4, we should probably not add any new plug-ins at this point.

3. Is it planned to support OpenIcc's initiative to look for profiles in /usr/color/icc and ~/color/icc on Linux and standard profiles directories on other systems? If no, why?

Yes, we plan to support it at some point. But it's too late to implement this for 2.4. Fortunately though we are planning to release 2.6 shortly after and that should give us the chance to add a proper ICC profile selection widget that can be used from the core and from plug-ins.

5. Main question: is color management going to be enabled by default in 2.4? With Scribus we found out that users actually demand it (on all platforms) and that it is safe, if sane defaults are used.

Not sure yet. It depends on how well it works by then and if we manage to find sane defaults.

Sven

Yoshinori Yamakawa
2007-01-14 20:42:54 UTC (over 17 years ago)

color management

Hi,

The functions included in Separate+ are jointly used, so I think that it is appropriate that those are placed in the same submenu.

I don't understand where the "Separate" menu should be placed. However, I don't have the sense of incompatibility very much even if it is in a present place.

Only context valid profiles should be suggested (see question 4 above).

It isn't what I should do.
Appropriate widget will be added to the GIMP's core in the future. Then I will use it.

I would also merge "normal" and "to Colour" into one dialog with a combobox or a radiobuttons group to switch between them and a hint explaining the difference.

Try Separate+ (20070115).
I'm not good at English, and pardon the incompleteness of the explanation, please.

--

Yoshinori Yamakawa yam@yellowmagic.info

Alexandre Prokoudine
2007-01-16 09:23:34 UTC (over 17 years ago)

color management

On 1/13/07, Sven Neumann wrote:

I thought about having it in 2.4 but I think it's probably best distributed seperately until we find the time to integrate it properly. Since we are almost ready for 2.4, we should probably not add any new plug-ins at this point.

Makes sense.

Yes, we plan to support it at some point. But it's too late to implement this for 2.4. Fortunately though we are planning to release 2.6 shortly after and that should give us the chance to add a proper ICC profile selection widget that can be used from the core and from plug-ins.

Is it possible to at least default to /usr/share/color/icc or ~/.color/icc on unixes in current dialog?

Not sure yet. It depends on how well it works by then and if we manage to find sane defaults.

You can reuse default settings in Scribus (those applicable ones) ;-)

Alexandre

Sven Neumann
2007-01-16 09:38:27 UTC (over 17 years ago)

color management

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 11:23 +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Is it possible to at least default to /usr/share/color/icc or ~/.color/icc on unixes in current dialog?

The profile file selection dialog isn't finished yet. But it already installs a shortcut to the systemwide profile folder. At least on UNIX, no idea if there's a similar folder on Win32.

Sven

Alexander Rabtchevich
2007-01-16 09:53:49 UTC (over 17 years ago)

color management

It is located at [WINDOWS]\system32\spool\drivers\color\ at least on 2000+

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 11:23 +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

The profile file selection dialog isn't finished yet. But it already installs a shortcut to the systemwide profile folder. At least on UNIX, no idea if there's a similar folder on Win32.

Marco Ciampa
2007-01-16 11:16:37 UTC (over 17 years ago)

color management

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 10:53:49AM +0200, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:

It is located at [WINDOWS]\system32\spool\drivers\color\ at least on 2000+

Plese usa [WINDOWS] as

%SystemRoot%

as in

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259852/en

Perhaps this could be useful too:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/321608.html

Is there anyone who knows of a specific icc color profile registry key?