RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp 2.4 workflow break

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp 2.4 workflow break Bart 12 Jan 17:26
  Gimp 2.4 workflow break Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 12 Jan 18:15
   Gimp 2.4 workflow break Bart 15 Jan 10:38
    Gimp 2.4 workflow break Sven Neumann 15 Jan 20:24
  Gimp 2.4 workflow break peter sikking 12 Jan 20:10
  Gimp 2.4 workflow break Sven Neumann 12 Jan 21:22
Bart
2007-01-12 17:26:56 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Gimp 2.4 workflow break

Hi,

I often recognize a little workflow break when working with Gimp. This happens when you click from the image window to tool window (like layers) and do some thing there and then try out a specific shortcut that works only on the image window. This image window shortcut didn't work when a tool window is focused, so you must first click back on the image window to focused that and then you can use the specific short cut for the image window. That isn't great at all i think.

So what about if GIMP could recognized what was the last used image window and if you press a specific shortcut that woks only on the image window GIMP will call the command on the last used image window?

Thanx so far doing GIMP! 2.4 is getting great!

Karamba! Bart.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2007-01-12 18:15:42 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Gimp 2.4 workflow break

On Friday 12 January 2007 14:26, Bart wrote:

Hi,

I often recognize a little workflow break when working with Gimp. This happens when you click from the image window to tool window (like layers) and do some thing there and then try out a specific shortcut that works only on the image window. This image window shortcut didn't work when a tool window is focused, so you must first click back on the image window to focused that and then you can use the specific short cut for the image window. That isn't great at all i think.

So what about if GIMP could recognized what was the last used image window and if you press a specific shortcut that woks only on the image window GIMP will call the command on the last used image window?

Karamba! Bart.

Hi Bart,

I feel that too...when I am in computers other than my own. At home, I set up the GUI as I feel i tshould be: focus follow mouse. That means that I have only to hover a window for it to get in focus - no need to click.

I've heard that even windows can be set up to behave like thta. Give it a try.

js
->

peter sikking
2007-01-12 20:10:25 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Gimp 2.4 workflow break

Bart wrote:

So what about if GIMP could recognized what was the last used image window and if you press a specific shortcut that woks only on the image
window GIMP will call the command on the last used image window?

A very reasonable request. Although Sven is surely going to tell us that things are very tangled in reality.

Assuming there are no duplicates in the shortcuts for the main window and all the tool "windows" (they are not really windows, they have the roles of inspectors and palettes).

The only exception I see is for cut/copy/paste et al. That should be possible with text is focussed textfields, and ideally also with other objects, like colors and other atomic items users manage in lists (paths, layers, etc)...

--ps

principal user interaction architect man + machine interface works

http://mmiworks.net/blog : on interaction architecture

Sven Neumann
2007-01-12 21:22:53 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Gimp 2.4 workflow break

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 17:26 +0100, Bart wrote:

But that's exactly how things work. I don't understand your concern as I am not able to reproduce the problem. Perhaps you can give a more specific example?

Sven

Bart
2007-01-15 10:38:15 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Gimp 2.4 workflow break

Hi Joao,

i'm using Linux and i know the feature about auto focus. But i didn't like that :)

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris schrieb:

On Friday 12 January 2007 14:26, Bart wrote:

Hi,

Karamba! Bart.

Hi Bart,

I feel that too...when I am in computers other than my own. At home, I set up the GUI as I feel i tshould be: focus follow mouse. That means that I have only to hover a window for it to get in focus - no need to click.

I've heard that even windows can be set up to behave like thta. Give it a try.

js
->

Sven Neumann
2007-01-15 20:24:44 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Gimp 2.4 workflow break

Hi Bart,

Could you please answer my request and give us a detailed description on how to reproduce the problem? I find it somewhat annoying that you publically claim that there's a bug, but remain silent when being asked to give an example.

Sven