RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fonts Dialog

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Fonts Dialog iwkse 30 Dec 15:29
  Fonts Dialog Sven Neumann 30 Dec 19:08
   Fonts Dialog Chris Mohler 30 Dec 19:37
    Fonts Dialog iwkse 30 Dec 20:58
     Fonts Dialog Chris Mohler 30 Dec 21:08
iwkse
2006-12-30 15:29:01 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Fonts Dialog

Hi all,

I would like to suggest a nice feature that is missing in fonts dialog. Actually Font Dialog allow to rescan fonts and that would be really useful if can be on it a function(just a simlink to a new font path in user fonts folder) that allow to add/remove a font dir making possible to add/remove dinamically fonts.
Such feature is useful when the user has a really high number of fonts cause loading all them slow down whole gimp at the start.

Happy new years for all ML!

Sven Neumann
2006-12-30 19:08:14 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Fonts Dialog

Hi,

On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 15:29 +0100, iwkse wrote:

Such feature is useful when the user has a really high number of fonts cause loading all them slow down whole gimp at the start.

Why not just fix the slow startup instead? If your copy of fontconfig would work correctly, GIMP would only have to scan the fonts the first time it is started. Subsequent runs will use the cache file. If that doesn't work for you, then something is wrong with fontconfig on your system.

Sven

Chris Mohler
2006-12-30 19:37:59 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Fonts Dialog

On 12/30/06, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 15:29 +0100, iwkse wrote:

Why not just fix the slow startup instead? If your copy of fontconfig would work correctly, GIMP would only have to scan the fonts the first time it is started. Subsequent runs will use the cache file. If that doesn't work for you, then something is wrong with fontconfig on your system.

Well, if you *do* have thousands of fonts and they're all activated, the font list is two kilometers long! That's a problem not specific to the GIMP, but system-wide. I've been using an app (called fontypython) that creates symlinks in ~/.fonts and then restarting GIMP (or whatever program) whenever I need to switch fonts out. It would be nice to "rescan" for fonts, though I'm not sure how much work would be involved.

I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Chris

iwkse
2006-12-30 20:58:33 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Fonts Dialog

Well, if you *do* have thousands of fonts and they're all activated, the font list is two kilometers long! That's a problem not specific to the GIMP, but system-wide. I've been using an app (called fontypython) that creates symlinks in ~/.fonts and then restarting GIMP (or whatever program) whenever I need to switch fonts out. It would be nice to "rescan" for fonts, though I'm not sure how much work would be involved.

I'd love to hear your thoughts...

You don't really need to restart GIMP. Its enough to rescan and it's done.
Just click on "open font selection dialogue" and you'll find rescan.

Salvatore

Chris Mohler
2006-12-30 21:08:19 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Fonts Dialog

You don't really need to restart GIMP. Its enough to rescan and it's done.
Just click on "open font selection dialogue" and you'll find rescan.

Salvatore

Awesome!

Now I feel like an ass for requesting a feature that exists...

Chris