RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

string freeze for 2.4

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

string freeze for 2.4 Sven Neumann 18 Dec 21:20
  string freeze for 2.4 peter sikking 18 Dec 23:26
   string freeze for 2.4 Sven Neumann 19 Dec 08:22
    string freeze for 2.4 peter sikking 19 Dec 10:02
  string freeze for 2.4 Sven Neumann 20 Dec 08:57
   string freeze for 2.4 David Gowers 20 Dec 09:22
    string freeze for 2.4 Sven Neumann 20 Dec 09:55
     string freeze for 2.4 David Gowers 20 Dec 11:38
      string freeze for 2.4 Sven Neumann 21 Dec 07:52
     string freeze for 2.4 Raphaël Quinet 20 Dec 17:37
      string freeze for 2.4 Sven Neumann 21 Dec 07:54
Sven Neumann
2006-12-18 21:20:07 UTC (over 17 years ago)

string freeze for 2.4

Hi,

if we want to get 2.4 out soon, and I think that's our intention, then we need to enter string freeze at some point. I'd like to suggest that we go into a tentative string freeze right now. That means that no string changes are allowed unless they fix bugs. A misspelled or grammatically incorrect string is considered a bug and can of course be fixed. But we should give the translators a chance to start working on the message catalogs for 2.4. It's not a strict freeze yet, we don't guarantee that all messages are fixed for 2.4, but there should only be minor changes and additions from this point.

Before I can announce this on the gnome-i18n list, we should address http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141443. This means someone should go over the gimp-tips and check that they are all correct and useful for GIMP 2.4.

If you feel that it's too early for a string freeze or have larger string changes pending, speak up now!

Sven

peter sikking
2006-12-18 23:26:50 UTC (over 17 years ago)

string freeze for 2.4

Sven wrote:

If you feel that it's too early for a string freeze or have larger string changes pending, speak up now!

If you want me to sort out and simplify the crop and selection options berfore christmas, then I need the freedom to change any string displayed there.

--ps

principal user interaction architect man + machine interface works

http://mmiworks.net/blog : on interaction architecture

Sven Neumann
2006-12-19 08:22:02 UTC (over 17 years ago)

string freeze for 2.4

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 23:26 +0100, peter sikking wrote:

If you want me to sort out and simplify the crop and selection options berfore christmas, then I need the freedom to change any string displayed there.

I mentioned that string changes that fix bugs are fine, didn't I?

We are not in a strict string freeze yet. But I want to give the translators a chance to start translating for 2.4 now. It's OK if some strings still change and a few new ones are added.

Sven

peter sikking
2006-12-19 10:02:20 UTC (over 17 years ago)

string freeze for 2.4

Sven wrote:

I mentioned that string changes that fix bugs are fine, didn't I?

Hey, I worked with companies where 'making the UI work for humans' were nice enhancements, not bug fixes, in this stage of a release >^}

--ps

principal user interaction architect man + machine interface works

http://mmiworks.net/blog : on interaction architecture

Sven Neumann
2006-12-20 08:57:02 UTC (over 17 years ago)

string freeze for 2.4

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 21:20 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Before I can announce this on the gnome-i18n list, we should address http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141443. This means someone should go over the gimp-tips and check that they are all correct and useful for GIMP 2.4.

No volunteer for this little job? Come on, we need to get this done...

Sven

David Gowers
2006-12-20 09:22:54 UTC (over 17 years ago)

string freeze for 2.4

On 12/20/06, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 21:20 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

No volunteer for this little job? Come on, we need to get this done...

I already did so (and checked again just now). All but one of them are applicable as far as I can tell.

I made one change:

--- old/gimp-tips.xml.in 2005-06-11 02:08:36.000000000 +0930 +++ new/gimp-tips.xml.in 2006-12-19 20:04:18.000000000 +1030 @@ -94,7 +94,7 @@

You can drag and drop many things in GIMP. For example, dragging a color from the toolbox or from a color palette and dropping it into - an image will fill the current image or selection with that color. + an image will fill the current layer or selection with that color.

Since DnDing colors doesn't fill an entire image. I realize this is not fully correct (Channels can be filled by that method too) but it is more helpful for the general use case.

Sven Neumann
2006-12-20 09:55:44 UTC (over 17 years ago)

string freeze for 2.4

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 18:52 +1030, David Gowers wrote:

I already did so (and checked again just now). All but one of them are applicable as far as I can tell.

I've changed the tip based on your suggestion.

Actually, I was hoping that we could get rid of some tips for 2.4. In my opinion there are way too many of them. I also see some tips that could be improved. For example:

When using a drawing tool (Paintbrush, Airbrush, or Pencil), Shift-click will draw a straight line from your last drawing point to your current cursor position. If you also press Ctrl, the line will be constrained to 15 degree angles.

This works for more tools now than the ones that are listed here. Also, do we still need this tip now that we have statusbar messages for this? There are more tips that are now covered by the statusbar hints. Should they be removed?

You can use the middle mouse button to pan around the image, if it's larger than its display window.

We should probably point people to the spacebar here. And the second part of the sentence seems superfluous to me.

If your screen is too cluttered, you can press Tab multiple times in an image window to hide or show the toolbox and other dialogs.

What does "multiple times" mean here?

Should we add a tip about how to create sample points? This is currently lacking a proper UI and the Ctrl-Drag from rulers is somewhat hard to discover. If we added a tip, the feature would at least not be completely unusable.

Sven

David Gowers
2006-12-20 11:38:30 UTC (over 17 years ago)

string freeze for 2.4

On 12/20/06, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 18:52 +1030, David Gowers wrote:

I've changed the tip based on your suggestion.

Actually, I was hoping that we could get rid of some tips for 2.4. In my opinion there are way too many of them. I also see some tips that

Agreed. I've deleted some now (but don't know what a 'new user' is going to want, really)

could

be improved. For example:

When using a drawing tool (Paintbrush, Airbrush, or Pencil), Shift-click will draw a straight line from your last drawing point to your current cursor position. If you also press Ctrl, the line will be constrained to 15 degree angles.

This works for more tools now than the ones that are listed here. Also, do we still need this tip now that we have statusbar messages for this? There are more tips that are now covered by the statusbar hints. Should they be removed?

yeh, should have thought of that. sorry, tired. Well, I agree that tip should be deleted; I don't even see how one could readably list all the tools it applied to.

You can use the middle mouse button to pan around the image, if

it's larger than its display window.

We should probably point people to the spacebar here. And the second part of the sentence seems superfluous to me.

Done.

If your screen is too cluttered, you can press Tab multiple

times in an image window to hide or show the toolbox and other dialogs.

What does "multiple times" mean here?

nothing. it's a toggle. fixed.

Should we add a tip about how to create sample points? This is currently

lacking a proper UI and the Ctrl-Drag from rulers is somewhat hard to discover. If we added a tip, the feature would at least not be completely unusable.

Probably. I think someone else ought to write that tip. I certainly don't understand why anyone would want to use them.

Currently, I've deleted 3, merged 1, and fixed 1 tip.

and on another check

" You can drag a layer from the Layers dialog and drop it onto the toolbox. This will create a new image containing only that layer. " is no longer true. I'm not sure why. I haven't removed it because it's probably a regression that should be fixed in GIMP.

A diff from current CVS versus my version is attached, assuming the list software didn't snarf it.

Raphaël Quinet
2006-12-20 17:37:58 UTC (over 17 years ago)

string freeze for 2.4

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 09:55:44 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

I suggest to remove the tips that are already covered by status bar messages. There is no need to duplicate these hints and most users will see the status bar messages (far) more often than the tips.

Regarding the status bar messages and the string freeze, I would like to announce that I am planning to add a few more messages, mostly for the transform tools. I am planning to work on that next week.

I expect that my changes will consist mostly in additions rather than modifications or deletions so hopefully they will not disturb too much the work of the translators who have already started working on the strings for gimp 2.4. I will try to commit the changes to CVS as soon as possible next week (after Christmas).

-Raphaël

Sven Neumann
2006-12-21 07:52:11 UTC (over 17 years ago)

string freeze for 2.4

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 21:08 +1030, David Gowers wrote:

Currently, I've deleted 3, merged 1, and fixed 1 tip.

Please attach the diff to the bug-report so that I can review and apply it later today.

and on another check

" You can drag a layer from the Layers dialog and drop it onto the
toolbox. This will create a new image containing only that layer.
" is no longer true. I'm not sure why. I haven't removed it because it's probably a regression that should be fixed in GIMP.

Works fine for me.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2006-12-21 07:54:12 UTC (over 17 years ago)

string freeze for 2.4

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 17:37 +0100, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

Regarding the status bar messages and the string freeze, I would like to announce that I am planning to add a few more messages, mostly for the transform tools. I am planning to work on that next week.

Ok. I will probably announce the tentative string freeze on gnome-i18n as soon as the tips changes are in CVS. But I will tell them that some string additions are to be expected.

Sven