RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

units in um

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

units in um dorai iyer 14 Dec 23:28
  units in um Sven Neumann 15 Dec 08:39
dorai iyer
2006-12-14 23:28:32 UTC (over 17 years ago)

units in um

I am new to the world of gimp and am interested in it because of its ability to do layers. My work is mostly related to microscopy. I tried using the unit editor however, i could not get it to calibrate the image for the different magnifications as it is all based of inches. Typically the optical microscopes have set mangifications where for each magnification there is pixels per um. Has anyone implemented a modification of the unitrc to use um instead of inches as the basis. Is there a way to change the unitrc to refelct the pixels/um.
Thanks
dorai

Sven Neumann
2006-12-15 08:39:04 UTC (over 17 years ago)

units in um

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 15:28 -0700, dorai iyer wrote:

I am new to the world of gimp and am interested in it because of its ability to do layers. My work is mostly related to microscopy. I tried using the unit editor however, i could not get it to calibrate the image for the different magnifications as it is all based of inches. Typically the optical microscopes have set mangifications where for each magnification there is pixels per um. Has anyone implemented a modification of the unitrc to use um instead of inches as the basis. Is there a way to change the unitrc to refelct the pixels/um.

There is nothing inches-specific about the unit editor. What exactly is your problem with it?

You might however be running into the resolution limits of GIMP. To work around that, I suggest that you use millimeters where you would use micrometers. You will have to deal with an extra magnification factor of 1000 then, but that's not much of a problem.

Sven