RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Troubles with Make

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Troubles with Make Scott 27 Oct 20:16
  Troubles with Make Kevin Cozens 27 Oct 21:14
  Troubles with Make Sven Neumann 29 Oct 18:58
Scott
2006-10-27 20:16:42 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Troubles with Make

I had earlier asked how to do CVS so that, as a user, I could have the latest version and could have a greater chance of commenting semi-intelligently on UI issues. Some of you were kind enough to point me in the right direction.

After about 5 hours over a dialup connection, I managed to get the CVS. Then it wanted intltool, and I found and installed that. It also wanted gtk-doc, but I wasn't able to make that for some error I can't remember, (something about missing stylesheets - sorry, I am sending from a different place and don't have the info with me...). So I used the --disable-gtk-doc flag that it suggested. However, ./autogen.sh still gives me error messages which my inexperience does not allow me to understand.

Thanks if anyone can point me in the proper direction, bearing in mind that I am not a wizard at make or any of these tools. I did look at the info '(automake1.8)...' which was suggested, and it was entirely over my head.

My apologies if this duplicates a post I sent earlier from a non-registered address which appears not yet to have materialized.

scott swanson

Here is the output from ./autogen.sh:

I am testing that you have the tools required to build the GNU Image Manipulation Program from CVS. This test is not foolproof, so if anything goes wrong, see the file HACKING for more information...

checking for libtool >= 1.4 ... yes (version 1.5.20) skipping test for gtkdocize
checking for autoconf >= 2.54 ... yes (version 2.59) checking for automake >= 1.8.3 ... yes (version 1.9.6) checking for glib-gettextize ... yes (version 2.12.3) checking for intltool >= 0.31 ... yes (version 0.35.0) checking for xsltproc ... yes

I am going to run ./configure with the following arguments:

--enable-maintainer-mode --disable-gtk-doc 2

/usr/local/share/aclocal/parted.m4:16: warning: underquoted definition of PARTED_CHECK_LIBPARTED run info '(automake1.8)Extending aclocal' or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal /usr/local/share/aclocal/avifile.m4:21: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_AVIFILE aclocal:configure.in:416: warning: macro `AM_PATH_GTK_2_0' not found in library WARNING: You have disabled gtk-doc.
As a result, you will not be able to generate the API documentation and 'make dist' will not work.

configure.in:426: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_GTK_2_0 If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow. See the Autoconf documentation.

Kevin Cozens
2006-10-27 21:14:26 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Troubles with Make

Scott wrote:

Thanks if anyone can point me in the proper direction, bearing in mind that I am not a wizard at make or any of these tools. I did look at the info '(automake1.8)...' which was suggested, and it was entirely over my head.

[snip]

aclocal:configure.in:416: warning: macro `AM_PATH_GTK_2_0' not found in library WARNING: You have disabled gtk-doc.
As a result, you will not be able to generate the API documentation and 'make dist' will not work.

configure.in:426: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_GTK_2_0

There is some helpful information at http://developer.gimp.org/ about building GIMP from CVS. Click on HACKING. It lists the dependencies (other packages) that need to be installed on your machine in order to build GIMP. The message above indicates you are missing the development files from the gtk+ library.

You need the development portion of a number of libraries. Depending on how your system packages software you typically need to install the -devel (ie. glib-devel) packages in order to compile GIMP.

There are additional optional libraries you may want to install which support various graphic image file formats but they are not needed to do a basic compile and installation of GIMP.

Sven Neumann
2006-10-29 18:58:59 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Troubles with Make

Hi,

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 12:16 -0600, Scott wrote:

aclocal:configure.in:416: warning: macro `AM_PATH_GTK_2_0' not found in library WARNING: You have disabled gtk-doc.

configure.in:426: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_GTK_2_0 If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow. See the Autoconf documentation.

aclocal is unable to resolve the macro "AM_PATH_GTK_2_0" which is defined in the file gtk-2.0.m4 that should have been installed with GTK+.

Sven