RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Pygimp plugin built and installed on Win, but not accessible

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Pygimp plugin built and installed on Win, but not accessible Williams, Andrew 05 Oct 07:54
  Pygimp plugin built and installed on Win, but not accessible Sven Neumann 05 Oct 08:02
  Pygimp plugin built and installed on Win, but not accessible Hans Breuer 05 Oct 08:32
   Pygimp plugin built and installed on Win, but not accessible jernej@ena.si 05 Oct 10:05
Pygimp plugin built and installed on Win, but not accessible Williams, Andrew 06 Oct 10:46
  Pygimp plugin built and installed on Win, but not accessible Michael Schumacher 06 Oct 12:01
Williams, Andrew
2006-10-05 07:54:06 UTC (over 17 years ago)

With some difficulty I built Gimp 2.3.7 with Python using MinGW on Win XP. Make and make install completed without error.

Gimp starts, but there is no Python in the Toolbars/Xtns menu (or any others); Script explorer shows NO python scrips.

I did NOT disable-python. My python 2.4.2 has all the +gtk* installs. The gimp python plugin files all appear to be installed correctly. There are no startup error messages. (And I can import gimp from python.) (Also, my \msys\local\lib\gimp\2.0\environ\pygimp.env and ..\interp\pygimp.interp appear to be ok.)

Can anyone please suggest what is wrong, or how to debug this?

- Andrew

- Andrew .

Sven Neumann
2006-10-05 08:02:47 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 15:54 +1000, Williams, Andrew wrote:

With some difficulty I built Gimp 2.3.7 with Python using MinGW on Win XP. Make and make install completed without error.

Why would you waste your time building such an outdated version of GIMP 2.3?

Sven

Hans Breuer
2006-10-05 08:32:46 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 05.10.2006 07:54, Williams, Andrew wrote:

Gimp starts, but there is no Python in the Toolbars/Xtns menu (or any others); Script explorer shows NO python scrips.

You need to make GLib's g_file_test() aware of additional 'executables' by adding .PY to the PATHEXT environment variable. See: http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-File-Utilities.html#g-file-test

I did NOT disable-python. My python 2.4.2 has all the +gtk* installs. The gimp python plugin files all appear to be installed correctly. There are no startup error messages. (And I can import gimp from python.) (Also, my \msys\local\lib\gimp\2.0\environ\pygimp.env and ..\interp\pygimp.interp appear to be ok.)

Using the prebuilt Python 2.4 may be a problem as well cause it links with a newer C-runtime than gtk+ (msvcr71.dll vs. msvcrt.dll). I'm not sure if mixing runtimes is fatal for gimp python plug-ins, but at least when embedding Python in Dia this is definitely a problem. See also: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/dia-list/2006-September/msg00045.html

Hans

-------- Hans "at" Breuer "dot" Org ----------- Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it. -- Dilbert

jernej@ena.si
2006-10-05 10:05:14 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Thursday, October 5, 2006, 8:32:46, Hans Breuer wrote:

On 05.10.2006 07:54, Williams, Andrew wrote:

With some difficulty I built Gimp 2.3.7 with Python using MinGW on Win XP. Make and make install completed without error. Gimp starts, but there is no Python in the Toolbars/Xtns menu (or any others); Script explorer shows NO python scrips.

You need to make GLib's g_file_test() aware of additional 'executables' by adding .PY to the PATHEXT environment variable. See: http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-File-Utilities.html#g-file-test

Actually, with GIMP, you just need to edit GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\interpreters\pygimp.interp to contain something like this:

python=R:\Python24\pythonw.exe /usr/bin/python=R:\Python24\pythonw.exe :Python:E::py::python:

(the 2.3 installer generates this file automatically)

Using the prebuilt Python 2.4 may be a problem as well cause it links with a newer C-runtime than gtk+ (msvcr71.dll vs. msvcrt.dll). I'm not sure if mixing runtimes is fatal for gimp python plug-ins, but at least when embedding Python in Dia this is definitely a problem. See also: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/dia-list/2006-September/msg00045.html

I build GIMP with Python 2.4, and as far as I can see, it works.

Williams, Andrew
2006-10-06 10:46:41 UTC (over 17 years ago)

There were 2 queries as to why I didn't compile a more recent version of gimp. My aim is just to use the Pygimp plugin, but there are no binaries available for Win, so I compiled a stable version. (Also, I posted to gimp-user, but they referred me here.)

Actually, with GIMP, you just need to edit GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\interpreters\pygimp.interp to contain something

like this:

(the 2.3 installer generates this file automatically)

Yes, this happened. Also I changed it and got an error message on my startup console, so it is being accessed. (And I changed it back and get no messages, but as I say, no Python.)

- Andrew Williams.

Michael Schumacher
2006-10-06 12:01:55 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Von: "Williams, Andrew"

There were 2 queries as to why I didn't compile a more recent version of gimp. My aim is just to use the Pygimp plugin, but there are no binaries available for Win, so I compiled a stable version.

There are 2.3 binaries for Win32. 2.3.11 was even among the first binaries at all for this release. So far, Python support did just work for all of them on any of my systems.

GIMP 2.3.7 isn't a stable version, btw. None of the 2.3s is.

HTH, Michael