RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

make healing brush and clone tool use one source and possibly involve shift modifier

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

Alexander Rabtchevich
2006-09-13 08:28:34 UTC (over 17 years ago)

make healing brush and clone tool use one source and possibly involve shift modifier

Working with healing brush in 2.3.11 I've found it very useful. But sometimes it is required not only to change the texture, but also to change color of the image part while retouching with clone tool. So I switch between tools with C and H hotkeys. It could be even smoother if these tools use the same source: if a source for healing brush is selected, and user switches to clone tool, the clone tool should already have the same source and be ready to work. And vice versa. Furthermore, as shift modifier is not used (as I can see), it can be used for switching between these tools if one of them is used.

Sven Neumann
2006-09-13 08:40:44 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 09:28 +0300, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:

Working with healing brush in 2.3.11 I've found it very useful. But sometimes it is required not only to change the texture, but also to change color of the image part while retouching with clone tool. So I switch between tools with C and H hotkeys. It could be even smoother if these tools use the same source: if a source for healing brush is selected, and user switches to clone tool, the clone tool should already have the same source and be ready to work.

The only reasonable way to implement this would be to remove the Heal tool and integrate healing as an option in the Clone tool. But we decided against this because the clone options are already quite complex.

This is similar to the Pencil and Paintbrush tools. There could be a toggle for "Hard edge" in the Paintbrush tool instead of a dedicated Pencil tool. This would result in a more powerful tool but it would be quite overloaded and the Pencil feature would be harder to discover. The same reasons apply here for having a dedicated Heal tool.

That said, let's get back to your suggestion. It would help if, instead of proposing a solution, you could outline what exactly you cannot achieve using the Heal tool. There are most probably better ways to solve the problem.

Sven

Alexander Rabtchevich
2006-09-13 09:32:46 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I'll try to describe my workflow. When I'm retouching (humans skin) there are two types of defects from color point of view: 1. the ones which have rather large smooth area and which color differs from skin color and 2. small ones with the texture other than nearby skin and possibly but not necessary different color. The difference is rather narrow and is based on defect size compared to nearby face features: foldings, lips...

I use scalable round brush mostly with 50% opacity which fades to edges. Also 2 modifiers are used: [] for quick and <> for exact brush resizing.

So if a defect has different (reddish) color, it can even have the same texture as the nearby skin. The healing brush doesn't change the color, but it is required here! The clone tool is just in place for this action. So I switch to it with C, select the source again and apply it.

Making a conclusion, sometimes it is required to replace the destination color with the source one, not only to flatten or copy the texture of the source. That's why I use the clone tool consequently with the healing brush.

Sven Neumann wrote:

That said, let's get back to your suggestion. It would help if, instead of proposing a solution, you could outline what exactly you cannot achieve using the Heal tool. There are most probably better ways to solve the problem.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2006-09-13 10:14:53 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 10:32 +0300, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:

Making a conclusion, sometimes it is required to replace the destination color with the source one, not only to flatten or copy the texture of the source. That's why I use the clone tool consequently with the healing brush.

The heal tool needs to change anyway. The current state where it only works if you click, but not if you paint with it, is not acceptable. So perhaps we can take your points into consideration when changing the tool. Currently the idea is to make the Heal tool work just like the Clone tool and apply the healing magic after released the mouse button. Perhaps there could be a modifier key that suppresses the healing so it would work just like a clone tool.

Sven