RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Evaluation fo the project by SoC students

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Evaluation fo the project by SoC students Dave Neary 01 Sep 10:14
  Evaluation fo the project by SoC students Michael Schumacher 01 Sep 16:34
  Evaluation fo the project by SoC students Alex Pounds 03 Sep 11:24
Evaluation fo the project by SoC students William Skaggs 01 Sep 19:14
Dave Neary
2006-09-01 10:14:05 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi all,

I plan to email the GIMP's Summer of Code students a small number of questions relating to their experiences of the Summer of Code with the GIMP.

It's important for us as a project to evaluate how we're doing with new contributors, and accept criticism which helps us improve. The Summer of Code is an ideal opportunity to evaluate how our community is doing at welcoming new contributors. Such feedback will also be important for future Summer of Code initiatives (or similar projects) to establish from the get-go what we can do to make contributing a pleasant experience.

I have a list of 10 questions, which I think is a nice number, split roughly into 3 groups: evaluation of the mentor, the community and the project overall. Any comments people have are welcome - I plan to send these out after the weekend, but hopefully before students find out if they were successful or not.

== Mentor == * Overall, was your mentor helpful in your SoC project? (Very helpful: Moderately helpful - Answered my questions, but I expected more: Was not very responsive: No help at all)
* Would you ask your mentor for help again if you continue to work on the GIMP? (Definitely: Probably not) * Did your mentor meet your expectations? (Exceeded expectations: Met expectations: Did not meet expectations)

== Community == * How has your experience with the GIMP developer community been? (Excellent: Good: Poor: No interraction) * Have you found it easy to get involved in the project and find your way around the various resources that exist? (Yes: No) * Which of the following ressources have you used during your SoC project (Personal email to my mentor: public mailing lists: Wiki: CVS: Bugzilla: IRC)
* How would you evaluate each of these ressources in terms of its usefulness to your project? (Excellent: Good: Poor: Horrible)

== Project == * Would you recommend to a friend that they work on the GIMP if they wanted to get involved in free software? (Definitely: Probably not) * Would you recommend to a friend that they contact your mentor to get involved in the GIMP? (Definitely: Probably not) * Overall, how has your experience of SoC been?

Michael Schumacher
2006-09-01 16:34:05 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Von: Dave Neary

* Which of the following ressources have you used during your SoC project (Personal email to my mentor: public mailing lists: Wiki: CVS: Bugzilla: IRC)

Don't forget the websites, i.e. www.gimp.org and especially developer.gimp.org

Michael

William Skaggs
2006-09-01 19:14:07 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I plan to email the GIMP's Summer of Code students a small number of questions relating to their experiences ...

One notable thing is that several students ended up working more closely with some other developer than with the person who was assigned as the mentor. It might be worth thinking about whether you can come up with a question that captures this.

-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Alex Pounds
2006-09-03 11:24:02 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 10:14:05AM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

I plan to email the GIMP's Summer of Code students a small number of questions relating to their experiences of the Summer of Code with the GIMP.

Looks good. Don't forget to ask for any general comments people have, though: people may well volunteer stuff in a general "comments" section they wouldn't mention otherwise.