RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Parasites and Tattoos: some questions

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Parasites and Tattoos: some questions saulgoode@brickfilms.com 24 Aug 00:17
  Parasites and Tattoos: some questions David Gowers 24 Aug 07:10
  Parasites and Tattoos: some questions Sven Neumann 24 Aug 08:20
  Parasites and Tattoos: some questions saulgoode@brickfilms.com 24 Aug 20:26
saulgoode@brickfilms.com
2006-08-24 00:17:11 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Parasites:

Is there a philosophical reason that parasite changes are not UNDOable? If not, could someone provide a nudge on how "non-tile" information is saved to the UNDO history (for example, layer name changes)?

Also, the "*-parasite-find" PDB functions return a list containing a single list: for example,

(("gimp-comment" 1 #18"4372656174656420776974682047494d5000"))

There does not appear to be a way to create multiple parasites with the same name -- the "*-parasite-attach" function changes the value of the existing parasite. Is there a reason for the parasite to be enclosed doubly within a list?

Tattoos:

If an object has a specific tattoo assigned to it then, when the object is destroyed, is the tattoo value made available for re-use? For example, I have three layers and record their tattoos. I then merge those layers which generates a new layer (with a new tattoo). Can I rely on the tattoos of the original layers not being assigned to a new object (during that image editing session)? (If so, I would like to assign the original tattoo to the merged layer.)

Or, is there a way to test a value to see if it is already attached to an object?

David Gowers
2006-08-24 07:10:13 UTC (over 17 years ago)

There is a flag for making a parasite undoable (GIMP_PARASITE_UNDOABLE?) Are you saying that this flag doesn't work? It does for me in PyGimp -- I use it most of the time.

On 8/24/06, saulgoode@brickfilms.com wrote:

Parasites:

Is there a philosophical reason that parasite changes are not UNDOable? If not, could someone provide a nudge on how "non-tile" information is saved to the UNDO history (for example, layer name changes)?

Also, the "*-parasite-find" PDB functions return a list containing a single list: for example,

This looks like a Script-fu bug. PyGimp doesn't do this, it just returns the parasite itself.

Tattoos:

If an object has a specific tattoo assigned to it then, when the object is destroyed, is the tattoo value made available for re-use? For example, I have three layers and record their tattoos. I then merge those layers which generates a new layer (with a new tattoo). Can I rely on the tattoos of the original layers not being assigned to a new object (during that image editing session)? (If so, I would like to assign the original tattoo to the merged layer.)

I did some tests on this awhile ago, and IIRC they don't get reused until a very long time (about 2^31 iterations of creating new layers/vectors/channels). Much the same as IDs in that respect.

Sven Neumann
2006-08-24 08:20:49 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 15:17 -0700, saulgoode@brickfilms.com wrote:

There does not appear to be a way to create multiple parasites with the same name -- the "*-parasite-attach" function changes the value of the existing parasite. Is there a reason for the parasite to be enclosed doubly within a list?

That's not quite right. It returns a list if called by Script-Fu because all PDB functions return a list when called through Script-Fu.

Tattoos:

If an object has a specific tattoo assigned to it then, when the object is destroyed, is the tattoo value made available for re-use? For example, I have three layers and record their tattoos. I then merge those layers which generates a new layer (with a new tattoo). Can I rely on the tattoos of the original layers not being assigned to a new object (during that image editing session)?

Being a unique identifer is the idea of tattoos.

Sven

saulgoode@brickfilms.com
2006-08-24 20:26:46 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Quoting David Gowers:

There is a flag for making a parasite undoable (GIMP_PARASITE_UNDOABLE?) Are you saying that this flag doesn't work? It does for me in PyGimp -- I use it most of the time.

I don't think that flag's name is exposed in Script-fu but it does appear to work fine when flag is hardcoded as "2" and it does precisely that which I needed, thanks.

This looks like a Script-fu bug. PyGimp doesn't do this, it just returns the parasite itself.

After further consideration, I do not think it is a bug; the original author was probably providing for the future case of being able to pass glob patterns and receiving a list of matching results (where each item in the list is a list itself).

I did some tests on this awhile ago, and IIRC they [tattoos] don't get reused until a very long time (about 2^31 iterations of creating new layers/vectors/channels). Much the same as IDs in that respect.

I was hoping that would be the case; again, precisely that which I desired.

Thank you for your responses.