RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

What layer is a filter supposed to end on?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

What layer is a filter supposed to end on? Karl Günter Wünsch 14 Aug 00:25
  What layer is a filter supposed to end on? Brohan 14 Aug 05:26
Karl Günter Wünsch
2006-08-14 00:25:41 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I am asking this because I have a small niggle with the border filter. I don't know if it's by design or accident, that's why I'm asking here first before filing a feature-request/bug report... The following happens and at first I was puzzled what was going on: - I loaded an image
- added a border
- then I wanted to apply unsharp mask filter (I forgot it in the steps before).
In the preview of the unsharp mask filter I now had only the background that one usually gets when an area where nothing is drawn is visible. I shortly later found out that the "add border"-filter does open a new layer which is still (at least partially) selected and is taken in as the base of the preview for the unsharp mask filter, although the latter does seem to be applied to the background layer where my image resides in. So either the layer handling does seem to be off a bit with regards to the preview area of the unsharp mask filter, or the filter shouldn't end with the border layer being selected or my understanding of the whole concept of a layer in this regard needs an update. regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Brohan
2006-08-14 05:26:46 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Given my somewhat poor understanding of GIMP (I'm on my way..) I may be able to field your question.

It is the nature of the Add Border filter to create a new layer. This layer gets focus as its the current active drawable. Plug-ins aren't intelligent enough to determine which layer you really want, they select the currently active drawable and work based on that. If your drawable is the newly created one it is selected.

But in reference to your actual question, either the plugin should operate differently (I'm not at all fluent in Script-Fu) or there should be a matching API call to gimp_image_get_active_drawable(), which isn't really within my realm at the moment. If anyone would care to fix the issue with this particular plugin, its at line 104 of addborder.scm, I'd imagine its a simple replacement somewhere there. Just another quick look at the script-fu decor functions, they all behave not 'normally', that is that they sometimes leave the image intact, or sometimes leave the layer intact.

Brohan

On 8/13/06, Karl Günter Wünsch wrote:

I am asking this because I have a small niggle with the border filter. I don't know if it's by design or accident, that's why I'm asking here first before filing a feature-request/bug report... The following happens and at first I was puzzled what was going on: - I loaded an image
- added a border
- then I wanted to apply unsharp mask filter (I forgot it in the steps before).
In the preview of the unsharp mask filter I now had only the background that one usually gets when an area where nothing is drawn is visible. I shortly later found out that the "add border"-filter does open a new layer which is still (at least partially) selected and is taken in as the base of the preview for the unsharp mask filter, although the latter does seem to be applied to the background layer where my image resides in. So either the layer handling does seem to be off a bit with regards to the preview area of the unsharp mask filter, or the filter shouldn't end with the border layer being selected or my understanding of the whole concept of a layer in this regard needs an update. regards
Karl Günter Wünsch