RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

panning

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

panning John Waugh 06 Jul 20:27
  panning Sven Neumann 06 Jul 21:48
   panning Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 07 Jul 04:14
    panning Akkana Peck 07 Jul 04:51
John Waugh
2006-07-06 20:27:30 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

panning

I got no real response to the below question on gimp-user, so I guess it's time to start editing the source (:

I would like to either 1) add a new 'pan' tool, to which I could then assign a key -or-
2) somehow remap the middle mouse button to a key. Or more accurately, have a key perform the same function as the middle mouse button, but hopefully not *lose* the middle-mouse functionality.

Any opinions on which would be harder, or pointers how to accomplish either ?
I do program for a living, but have never touched the gimp source before.

Thanks -John

---- gimp-user email ---- Amazingly, I couldn't find a straight answer to this after significant searching...
I am fairly new to the gimp, so maybe one of you knows.

Is there a way to re-map the "middle-mouse-drag causes panning" functionality to a key?
It seems like practically everything else in the gimp is re-mappable, except this : /

Reason being I use a pen tablet that doesn't have a middle mouse button, and I don't want to keep switching to the mouse just for that.

Alternatively, is there a "pan" tool? Then I could just press a key to switch to that as needed.

I know there is the navigation window, but I don't want to have to switch windows.
Also, there is the little lower-right-corner panning button on each image, but that is out of the way and doesn't give very good control.

I suppose there's always the source code (:

Thanks a bunch, -John

Sven Neumann
2006-07-06 21:48:08 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

panning

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 11:27 -0700, John Waugh wrote:

I got no real response to the below question on gimp-user, so I guess it's time to start editing the source (:

I would like to either 1) add a new 'pan' tool, to which I could then assign a key -or-
2) somehow remap the middle mouse button to a key. Or more accurately, have a key perform the same function as the middle mouse button, but hopefully not *lose* the middle-mouse functionality.

I would suggest that we finally implement it the way that has been suggested here multiple times. Let's get rid of the Push-Move-Tool feature that is currently bound to the Space key and use the Space key for panning.

Sven

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-07-07 04:14:30 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

panning

On Thursday 06 July 2006 04:48 pm, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 11:27 -0700, John Waugh wrote:

I would suggest that we finally implement it the way that has been suggested here multiple times. Let's get rid of the Push-Move-Tool feature that is currently bound to the Space key and use the Space key for panning.

Why not create a pan tool that could be pushed with any other key? Why not just make it configurable, instead of getting rid of the current functionality?

I am a heavy user of the push->move feature, and I know of other people who are.

There are 105 keys on the keyboard - and both features are a good thing to have with push functionality. I do not care if the move push is changed to any other key, and space be left to pan. But I care about loosing the current feature.

Sven

JS
->

Akkana Peck
2006-07-07 04:51:12 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

panning

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris writes:

I am a heavy user of the push->move feature, and I know of other people who are.

There are 105 keys on the keyboard - and both features are a good thing to have with push functionality. I do not care if the move push is changed to any other key, and space be left to pan. But I care about loosing the current feature.

I also use this feature a lot. If there's a conflict with the proposed panner, I'd love to see the key made configurable, because then it would be at least somewhat discoverable (to those who go through the Preferences window carefully). But in truth I don't care very much which key activates the temporary move tool; I just hope some key will, since the feature is so very useful.

...Akkana