RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Getting the GIMP to work well on a OLPC laptop

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Getting the GIMP to work well on a OLPC laptop Dave Neary 06 Jun 17:25
  Getting the GIMP to work well on a OLPC laptop Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 07 Jun 03:47
   Getting the GIMP to work well on a OLPC laptop Øyvind Kolås 07 Jun 11:30
  Getting the GIMP to work well on a OLPC laptop Nathan Summers 07 Jun 04:38
   Getting the GIMP to work well on a OLPC laptop saulgoode@brickfilms.com 07 Jun 06:10
Dave Neary
2006-06-06 17:25:54 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi,

As the SoC administrators probably know, the OLPC project is entering a phase soon, where they will be making a very limited amount of laptops (no more than 1 per project requesting) to free software application developers.

I thought maybe someone here might be interested in getting one, and would have the time to do profiling and memory work with a small screen laptop to reduce the footprint and increase the speed of the GIMP in that kind of environment. One other constraint, you don't have any (or much) hard disk - swapping times out is an expensive operation.

Is anyone interested? If you don't have time to spend on this, the greater good is probably best served by letting another project have one, but it would be great to have a faster smaller GIMP.

Cheers, Dave.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-06-07 03:47:21 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Tuesday 06 June 2006 12:25 pm, Dave Neary wrote:

Hi,

As the SoC administrators probably know, the OLPC project is entering a phase soon, where they will be making a very limited amount of laptops (no more than 1 per project requesting) to free software application developers.

I thought maybe someone here might be interested in getting one, and would have the time to do profiling and memory work with a small screen laptop to reduce the footprint and increase the speed of the GIMP in that kind of environment. One other constraint, you don't have any (or much) hard disk - swapping times out is an expensive operation.

Is anyone interested? If you don't have time to spend on this, the greater good is probably best served by letting another project have one, but it would be great to have a faster smaller GIMP.

Cheers, Dave.

Let's put it in these terms:
Pippin?

can that stuff run a washed out GIMP or Horizon? What do you think about matching it against the 770?

JS ->

Nathan Summers
2006-06-07 04:38:59 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On 6/6/06, Dave Neary wrote:

a small screen laptop

Am I the only one that sees a conflict between "GIMP" and "small-screen"?

:)

Rockwalrus

saulgoode@brickfilms.com
2006-06-07 06:10:28 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

I find this idea intriguing and would be quite interested in participating.

Øyvind Kolås
2006-06-07 11:30:23 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On 6/7/06, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

On Tuesday 06 June 2006 12:25 pm, Dave Neary wrote: Let's put it in these terms:
Pippin?

can that stuff run a washed out GIMP or Horizon? What do you think about matching it against the 770?

Stripping down/reorganizing GIMPs user interface hasn't happened on the the desktop yet, I fail to see how sufficient resources to do it for the OLPC will magically appear.

Horizon was a testbed for ideas and technologies that would be needed in GEGL, that grew into a utility which is useful for some purposes; but still it is mostly a rough proof of concept. The version in CVS, that (almost) runs comfortably on the 770 is the last version before migrating to GEGL, which incurred an increased overhead. That version is 8bit only and of minimal further interest to me. A fully functional GEGL backed rebirth of horizon will probably happen at some point, but at the moment that is vapourware and depends on GEGL evolving quite a bit from it's current (working) state.

/Øyvind K.