RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Combine masks & UNDO history

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Combine masks & UNDO history saulgoode@brickfilms.com 26 May 11:02
  Combine masks & UNDO history Michael Natterer 26 May 13:51
   Combine masks & UNDO history saulgoode@brickfilms.com 26 May 15:15
saulgoode@brickfilms.com
2006-05-26 11:02:04 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

I am not sure that this is a bug so I thought I would mention it here.

The PDB function 'gimp-channel-combine-masks' does not appear to register with the UNDO history. Perhaps it is not supposed to since it does not modify the image but there are some other functions that don't modify the image (that affect channels, paths, and selections) that do get added to the UNDO history.

I can't think of any practical difficulties that might arise from this; I only encountered it while debugging a script-fu. Nonetheless, it would seem to me that this function should be UNDO-able but then I do not really know what the criteria for the UNDO-ability of a functions is.

To demonstrate:

;; select a rectangular region (set! rect (car (gimp-selection-save image))) ;; select a elliptical region
(set! circle (car (gimp-selection-save image))) (gimp-channel-combine-masks rect circle CHANNEL-OP-INTERSECT 0 0 )

;; The operation is not UNDOable (should it be?)

Michael Natterer
2006-05-26 13:51:46 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 02:02 -0700, saulgoode@brickfilms.com wrote:

I am not sure that this is a bug so I thought I would mention it here.

The PDB function 'gimp-channel-combine-masks' does not appear to register with the UNDO history. Perhaps it is not supposed to since it does not modify the image

Of course it modifies the image. The saved channel is part of the image. Please file a bug about this.

but there are some other functions that don't modify the image (that affect channels, paths, and selections) that do get added to the UNDO history.

What functions are these exactly? Everything that changes the image must be undoable, and channels, selections and paths *are* part of the image. Any exception needs a very good reason and must be documented.

Please file bugs for these functions too.

ciao, --Mitch

saulgoode@brickfilms.com
2006-05-26 15:15:25 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Quoting Michael Natterer :

The PDB function 'gimp-channel-combine-masks' does not appear to register with the UNDO history. Perhaps it is not supposed to since it does not modify the image

Of course it modifies the image. The saved channel is part of the image.

Thank you for the explanation. I was obviously confused.

Please file a bug about this.

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=343026

but there are some other functions that don't modify the image (that affect channels, paths, and selections) that do get added to the UNDO history.

What functions are these exactly? Everything that changes the image must be undoable, and channels, selections and paths *are* part of the image. Any exception needs a very good reason and must be documented.

I now realize that the functions that *do* get added ("gimp-selection-none", being a simple example) are, in actuality, modifying the image. My confusion stemmed from a comment that the "gimp-edit-copy-visible" was not added to the UNDO history because it didn't modify the image. I inferred more from this comment than I should have.