RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp connotations ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

20 of 20 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp certification Olafur Arason 12 May 19:30
  Gimp certification Clarence Risher 13 May 07:13
   Gimp certification Carol Spears 13 May 07:36
    Gimp certification Fennec 13 May 07:50
    Gimp certification Carol Spears 14 May 21:35
  Gimp certification Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 13 May 09:33
   Gimp certification Alan Horkan 13 May 21:21
    Gimp certification Carol Spears 14 May 00:55
     Gimp certification Alan Horkan 14 May 01:25
      Gimp certification David Gómez 14 May 12:51
       Gimp certification Alan Horkan 14 May 17:40
        Gimp certification David Gómez 15 May 03:13
       Gimp connotations ? Florent Monnier 14 May 21:13
        Gimp connotations ? Roberto Winter 14 May 21:32
         Gimp connotations ? Tim Jedlicka 15 May 04:03
      Gimp certification Carol Spears 14 May 16:55
     Gimp certification Campbell Barton 14 May 12:37
  Gimp certification Bart 14 May 12:11
Gimp certification William Skaggs 12 May 19:55
Gimp certification saulgoode@brickfilms.com 13 May 13:57
Olafur Arason
2006-05-12 19:30:36 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

I think Gimp should have something like Adobe Certified Expert. This would ensure that gimp trained individuals could show that they know Gimp like it's possible to test what you know about Photoshop.
This test should be hard, but not it the memorize everything kind of hard, this would be to ensure that people that get this degree actually know something about Gimp. What would you think a person with this degree should know?
Is anybody on this list willing to participate in this? Is certification such a bad idea that Gimp should associate it self with it?

LPI is interested, but there is nothing definite

Olafur Arason P.S Please don't say it takes to much time, making true color management work in Gimp also takes time but I don't see anybody say that we should not do it because of that.

William Skaggs
2006-05-12 19:55:45 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

I think most of the people in the GIMP community would find this obnoxious -- but if LPI were willing to offer consulting fees in the $10,000+ range, there might be some curiosity.

Best wishes, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Clarence Risher
2006-05-13 07:13:51 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

1) What does GIMP stand for?

2) What does GNU stand for?

50% is a passing score. 100% qualifies for Advanced rating.

On 5/12/06, Olafur Arason wrote:

I think Gimp should have something like Adobe Certified Expert. This would ensure that gimp trained individuals could show that they know Gimp like it's possible to test what you know about Photoshop.
This test should be hard, but not it the memorize everything kind of hard, this would be to ensure that people that get this degree actually know something about Gimp. What would you think a person with this degree should know?
Is anybody on this list willing to participate in this? Is certification such a bad idea that Gimp should associate it self with it?

Olafur Arason P.S Please don't say it takes to much time, making true color management work in Gimp also takes time but I don't see anybody say that we should not do it because of that.

Carol Spears
2006-05-13 07:36:19 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 12:13:51AM -0500, Clarence Risher wrote:

heh, this is a problem test because it would mean that one of our mentors for the Summer of Code would not have an advanced rating.

carol

On 5/12/06, Olafur Arason wrote:

Fennec
2006-05-13 07:50:42 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

Carol Spears wrote:

eh, this is a problem test because it would mean that one of our mentors for the Summer of Code would not have an advanced rating.

No, honestly, I think we would need some sort of "practical evaluation" section of the test as well as the above knowledge tests.

1) Draw a straight line. 2) Draw a circle.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-05-13 09:33:45 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

On Friday 12 May 2006 02:30 pm, Olafur Arason wrote:

I think Gimp should have something like Adobe Certified Expert.

Well... I don't.

This would ensure that gimp trained individuals could show that they know Gimp like it's possible to test what you know about Photoshop.

IMHO it is.

I see it from this POV: what does the World gain with more bureaucracy in it? If I need to contract someone to work on GIMP or another Image Manipulation program, I will sit him in front of a computer and watch him draw.

Besides that, certifications are sometimes sought for those without the abilities or application to stand by themselves, either in their C.V. or personally.

I dislike the idea of a GIMP certification - and please note that I could make a lot of money out of it, as I certainly would be entitled to teach courses for, and concede such certifications in my country.

JS ->

saulgoode@brickfilms.com
2006-05-13 13:57:40 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

I may be out of line here but it would seem to me that an excellent way of bolstering one's resume and fattening one's portfolio would be to become an active participant in the GIMP documentation project. What better way to prove one's expertise and knowledge about the GIMP than to actually produce references, guides, and tutorials for it? I know that if I were an employer, such evidence of an applicant's qualifications would be much more impressive than a stamp from some on-line "university".

Alan Horkan
2006-05-13 21:21:50 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

On Sat, 13 May 2006, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

[...]

Besides that, certifications are sometimes sought for those without the abilities or application to stand by themselves, either in their C.V. or personally.

Listing "GIMP" [1] as one of your qualifications on a resume is more likely than usual to result in misunderstandings over the project name. I wouldn't risk it, you never know what the evil people in Human Resources might do to you.

Carol Spears
2006-05-14 00:55:39 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 08:21:50PM +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:

[...]

Listing "GIMP" [1] as one of your qualifications on a resume is more likely than usual to result in misunderstandings over the project name. I wouldn't risk it, you never know what the evil people in Human Resources might do to you.

this is an interesting idea/observation. i wonder if you can clarify by either presenting a real life example of this or by stating clearly that this is what you imagine might happen.

a statement like this, if it really could happen, would clearly show how completely unprofessional the "professional world" would be and would be a very good reason for good people to take things over.

if this is an imaginary situation, then perhaps it would be best to state this. even i can imagine how horrible the professional world can be. seeing some of the crap that is produced from these exisiting machines does not help what my imagination does to fill in the blanks.

please, make this statement to be what it is. it is either imaginary or you have a real life example of it.

thanks,

carol

Alan Horkan
2006-05-14 01:25:59 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

On Sat, 13 May 2006, Carol Spears wrote:

Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 15:55:39 -0700 From: Carol Spears
To: Alan Horkan ,
GIMPDev
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp certification

[...]

this is an interesting idea/observation. i wonder if you can clarify by either presenting a real life example of this or by stating clearly that this is what you imagine might happen.

In all seriousness I would not risk putting the word "gimp" anywhere on my CV and I have had funny reactions (funny weird, never funny ha ha) when explaining the GIMP to users not already familiar with it. If you really wanted to make a point and include it then "GNU Image Manipulation Program" would get the job done. Besides if one was applying for a graphics job it would be your portfolio which was important not your familiarity with particular software, although I'm sure it would be a bonus to know a variety of creative tools. (I do list that I am familiar with scripting in scheme.)

a statement like this, if it really could happen, would clearly show how completely unprofessional the "professional world" would be and would be a very good reason for good people to take things over.

Interviewers are notoriously shallow, how few people risk going to a job interview not wearing a suit? (Rhetorical question.)

Bart
2006-05-14 12:11:35 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

Mhm,

at the Blender site there is not a certication, but there is a link section about professionals using GIMP: http://www.blender.org/cms/Professionals.156.0.html

That is good to show that the software is not just for home use.

The best certification is your references and quality of work. I didn't need a photoshop or gimp certificate to getting jobs.

In forums about such certificates most people didb't think it is usefull, the only point is when you are do training and support for such products. So for me as an professional a link listing is usefull and for people training and supporting GIMP a certification is may usefull too.

Olafur Arason schrieb:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________ Gimp-developer mailing list
Gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer

Campbell Barton
2006-05-14 12:37:37 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

Carol Spears wrote:

[...]

if this is an imaginary situation, then perhaps it would be best to state this. even i can imagine how horrible the professional world can be. seeing some of the crap that is produced from these exisiting machines does not help what my imagination does to fill in the blanks.

please, make this statement to be what it is. it is either imaginary or you have a real life example of it.

thanks,

carol

IMHO, Gimp Should probably change its name, though I have no strong feelings on the matter, kind of like the name since I have used it for so long it has no negative associations. I WOULD - say I use the Gimp on my CV, but not like... "I use Linux, Blender3D and the Gimp"
just say... "I use Linux, Blender3D and the Gimp Image Editor", If you are obviously serious in other areas then theres no reason for people to think your being Rude.
If the job dosent require image editing then perhaps leave it off for shallow minded HR, Im guessing the Gimp is American? (Pulp Fiction) - In Europe/Australia it might not be seen so badly.

- Cam

David Gómez
2006-05-14 12:51:52 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

Hi Alan,

On May 14 at 12:25:59, Alan Horkan wrote:

In all seriousness I would not risk putting the word "gimp" anywhere on my CV and I have had funny reactions (funny weird, never funny ha ha) when explaining the GIMP to users not already familiar with it.

Remember that not in all languages the "gimp" word has funny connotations, but only in english. I got the word gimp in my curriculum and it's ok. Actually the people on human resources don't know the meaning of most of the acronyms in a curriculum ;).

Interviewers are notoriously shallow, how few people risk going to a job interview not wearing a suit? (Rhetorical question.)

Me (non-rhetorical answer :))

regards,

Carol Spears
2006-05-14 16:55:01 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 12:25:59AM +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:

On Sat, 13 May 2006, Carol Spears wrote:

In all seriousness I would not risk putting the word "gimp" anywhere on my CV and I have had funny reactions (funny weird, never funny ha ha) when explaining the GIMP to users not already familiar with it. If you really wanted to make a point and include it then "GNU Image Manipulation Program" would get the job done. Besides if one was applying for a graphics job it would be your portfolio which was important not your familiarity with particular software, although I'm sure it would be a bonus to know a variety of creative tools. (I do list that I am familiar with scripting in scheme.)

okay, thank you about explaining the risks your feelings give you about this. what i would like to know for certain is if it is a feeling or if you have a real life example of this?

here is a lot of the same crap i have written for years. it has nothing to do with GIMP beyond the fact that i have displayed skills and ability with it and the project that are difficult (for me) to explain. i am much better at telling about other peoples skills.

about suits:

my job as a waitress for so many years in the rural midwest, while i did not make an income in which i could actually afford to live in the area on, i did learn a lot about people through my own observations and the observations of the other women i worked with. the following observation was not mine, but instead my friend there who pointed this one stupid thing out about a very problematic group of people for us there.

in that state, there was a corporation built of motivational speakers. they would speak to groups of people who paid to hear them and then the way it worked, you paid them everytime you got others interested in the same thing. it is called a pyramid and even before i had college mathematics, i could easily see how futile useless and dangerous this was. but i am all in favor of choice. if you think that is a worthwhile way to work and something you want to do, then have at it.

here is the suit point. after a meeting, many of them would go to eat at the restaurant. often right before we closed. they were all "motivated" at that point and wanted everything right now an either did not or could not tip. my friend pointed out that this mass of people all wore suits with tennis shoes. the effect for me was sympathy. in my mind, they had been humiliated into this mental and imaginary thing and all they could do was be abusive to waitresses with it. and they paid to get this "feeling".

that being said, i have been in a public place where my shoes did not match my nicer clothing. the wrong kind of sandals with the dress. i was trying to feel pretty though, not get a job.

restaurants are interesting places. i worked as a bartender in a corporation owned restaurant for a while. due to its location, there were a few airline pilots that would come to the little bar there. the pilots had a rule that they could not drink within the eight hours before their next flight. drink alcohol. i watched men who were passed out drunk and knew they would be getting into the cockpit of an aircraft and still be in a condition of dangerous levels of substance abuse. there is an example of rules in action.

about names: carol means song in french. i consider music and musicians to be my "motivational speakers". they make no promises though. i look back on my life and see where i loved the song but did not listen to the lyrics so well. this makes me laugh now because it is funny. i was a naive teenager singing about my first encounter as a gay man at the top of my lungs. this is funny stuff when you get older, or it should be.

even though my name is carol, i can't sing.

so the point is (at the end of a too long and too off-topic email) this: i don't want to be hired by a company who has stocked its employees by such an interviewer as you have described here. do you?

apparently, in your situation the world is being run by people who are unable to do their job. and you are in a position where you need to answer to them.

i am taking a different approach to the same problem. i have done the job and need the people who know this to step up and do the right thing.

do you really want to work somewhere in which the person hiring the staff think that GIMP means something from that movie? i surely don't. i don't want to be hired by any group of people who are not far-sighted enough to see alternatives.

i would like to stop doing the same thing myself over and over again. i am attempting this by not lying ever. if i am stuck in some cause and affect loop because i have lied in my past, soon enough, i should get out of it.

now, i question my observations. they really did all wear suits and tennis shoes and think that being somewhat abusive to waitresses would get them further in life. they paid someone to give them this feeling. i wasted my money on music and books.

carol

Alan Horkan
2006-05-14 17:40:47 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

On Sun, 14 May 2006, David [utf-8] Gómez wrote:

Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 12:51:52 +0200 From: "David [utf-8] Gómez"
To: null@null.null
Cc: GIMPDev
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp certification

Hi Alan,

On May 14 at 12:25:59, Alan Horkan wrote:

In all seriousness I would not risk putting the word "gimp" anywhere on my CV and I have had funny reactions (funny weird, never funny ha ha) when explaining the GIMP to users not already familiar with it.

Remember that not in all languages the "gimp" word has funny connotations,

Which doesn't change the point I was making one bit. The original authors were English speakers and in the unlikely event they were university students and somehow unfamiliar with the film Pulp Fiction (1994) it is even more unlikely they didn't know of the dictionary definations of the word. Point it is the name does cause embarassment to some who have to explain it to other English speakers more familiar with the other meanings of the word and the attempt at humour in the name just makes it that little bit harder to get the GIMP taken seriously.

Florent Monnier
2006-05-14 21:13:44 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp connotations ?

Remember that not in all languages the "gimp" word has funny connotations, but only in english. I got the word gimp in my curriculum and it's ok. Actually the people on human resources don't know the meaning of most of the acronyms in a curriculum ;).

What are these funny connotations in the English language ? Could someone explain me ?

-- thanks in advance

Roberto Winter
2006-05-14 21:32:11 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp connotations ?

On 5/14/06, Florent Monnier wrote:

In all seriousness I would not risk putting the word "gimp" anywhere

on

my CV and I have had funny reactions (funny weird, never funny ha ha) when explaining the GIMP to users not already familiar with it.

Remember that not in all languages the "gimp" word has funny

connotations,

but only in english. I got the word gimp in my curriculum and it's ok. Actually the people on human resources don't know the meaning of most of the acronyms in a curriculum ;).

What are these funny connotations in the English language ? Could someone explain me ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimp_%28sadomasochism%29

-- thanks in advance

Carol Spears
2006-05-14 21:35:42 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 10:36:19PM -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

heh, this is a problem test because it would mean that one of our mentors for the Summer of Code would not have an advanced rating.

well, my apologies are needed maybe.

i asked and learned that GIMP used to stand for General Image Manipulation Program for a short while. the acronym was changed in 1997, probably when it was accepted as a GNU based project.

when i looked at the tutorials, web sites and all the information that was available when i started to use it in 1998, there was no mention of the word General on anything. not even an accidental typo.

i actually spent a few moments chuckling over the story that can be made from the words Kernel and General. Kernel sounds like Colonel and Generals outrank Colonel's here.
http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/insignias/officers.html

but eh, what are names good for?

carol

David Gómez
2006-05-15 03:13:57 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp certification

Hi Alan,

On May 14 at 04:40:47, Alan Horkan wrote:

word. Point it is the name does cause embarassment to some who have to explain it to other English speakers more familiar with the other meanings

Point is that people should worry less about names and more about software quality. Too much embarassment avoids to focus on the important things, and i'm not talking only about software...

cheers,

Tim Jedlicka
2006-05-15 04:03:54 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gimp connotations ?

Also, Gimp == cripple, pejorative (sometimes derogatory, insulting, bad) term for someone with a disability - i.e. "After twisting his ankle, he sure is a gimp".