RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Summer of Code

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Summer of Code Kevin Sookocheff 03 May 21:14
  Summer of Code Sven Neumann 04 May 07:35
Summer of Code <elf> 04 May 11:56
5009bd2c0605031451pacbfee5n... 07 Oct 20:24
  Summer of Code <elf> 04 May 00:11
   Summer of Code Sven Neumann 04 May 07:31
    Summer of Code <elf> 06 May 00:29
     Summer of Code Michael Schumacher 06 May 20:04
      Summer of Code <elf> 07 May 02:14
       Summer of Code Michael Schumacher 07 May 14:22
        Summer of Code Nathan Summers 07 May 15:32
Kevin Sookocheff
2006-05-03 21:14:44 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Summer of Code

Hi everyone,

I'm a student who is finishing a master's degree in computer science with a thesis on image processing. A little more specifically I do texture analysis and texture synthesis.

Anyways, I noticed that GIMP is a mentoring organization for Google's Summer of Code for 2006. I'll be completing my degree by the time the coding portion of the program begins and so I can work full-time on a project for most of the summer. This will give me some more practical working experience over the summer and hopefully be a lot of fun. I've been wanting to gain experience with open source programming and the ability to have a mentor for the work is very appealing to me.

I've applied to the program to work on the "Save for the Web" plug-in and the Healing Brush. The Healing Brush in particular is interesting to me and is quite related to the work that I'm already familiar with when I did my Master's thesis. If anyone has any other suggestions for projects I'm very open to them, or if anyone wanted to know more about me to aid in the sponsorship decision please ask (my resume is at www.cs.usask.ca/grads/kbs464/resume.pdf )

Thanks a bunch for your time, Kevin

<elf>
2006-05-04 00:11:55 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Summer of Code

Hello. I am a student of MSTU and I have participated in developing alrithm that converts halftone black and white image to array of lines with certain parameters that can discribe parent image. There were some of requirements that we have observed: - It must run as fast as possible, we consider that that our algorithm can work in real time, without any delay. - It has to represent a full list of line we needed to solve our problem and there must be no false lines. At the end we got the complete working algorithm and I think that may interest the GIMP project.
And also I think I can include this algorithm to GIMP. This will be a usefull function I thought.
Follow the link to see what it can do: http://almaz.mrtech.ru/algo.jpg

Sven Neumann
2006-05-04 07:31:22 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Summer of Code

Hi,

"" writes:

I am a student of MSTU and I have participated in developing alrithm that converts halftone black and white image to array of lines with certain parameters that can discribe parent image. There were some of requirements that we have observed: - It must run as fast as possible, we consider that that our algorithm can work in real time, without any delay. - It has to represent a full list of line we needed to solve our problem and there must be no false lines. At the end we got the complete working algorithm and I think that may interest the GIMP project. And also I think I can include this algorithm to GIMP. This will be a usefull function I thought. Follow the link to see what it can do: http://almaz.mrtech.ru/algo.jpg

This looks like it could make a nice GIMP plug-in. There's a tutorial at developer.gimp.org about writing a plug-in and the GIMP source tree has lots of examples. Let us know if you need further help.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2006-05-04 07:35:05 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Summer of Code

Hi,

Kevin Sookocheff writes:

I've applied to the program to work on the "Save for the Web" plug-in and the Healing Brush. The Healing Brush in particular is interesting to me and is quite related to the work that I'm already familiar with when I did my Master's thesis.

I am very happy about your application. Your experience seems to make you a very good candidate for the "Healing Brush" project. We are looking forward to work with you.

Sven

<elf>
2006-05-04 11:56:39 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Summer of Code

This looks like it could make a nice GIMP plug-in. There's a tutorial at developer.gimp.org about writing a plug-in and the GIMP source tree has lots of examples. Let us know if you need further help.

Sven

Well, I'm glad that you are interested in. I want to know if I can write this plug-in in the context of Summer of Code?

<elf>
2006-05-06 00:29:11 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Summer of Code

I am sorry for re-sending this message again, but I have only few days for registering in SOC. So please answer me as soon as possible

Sven

Well, I'm glad that you are interested in. I want to know if I can write this plug-in in the context of Summer of Code?

Michael Schumacher
2006-05-06 20:04:35 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Summer of Code

wrote:

I am sorry for re-sending this message again, but I have only few days for registering in SOC. So please answer me as soon as possible

Sven

I'm not really sure what uses this algorith might have, besides turning the image into some kind of sketch.

What do you mean by "converts halftone black and white image to array of lines with certain parameters that can discribe parent image."

- what are these parameters?

Michael

<elf>
2006-05-07 02:14:08 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Summer of Code

2006/5/6, Michael Schumacher :

wrote:

Sven

I'm not really sure what uses this algorith might have, besides turning the image into some kind of sketch.

What do you mean by "converts halftone black and white image to array of lines with certain parameters that can discribe parent image."

- what are these parameters?

Michael

This link is about my idea: http://gimp.mrtech.ru/

There is short article. But if you are interested in I can show all mathemetic calculations, graphics and other materials I have.

Well, today is 7 may and for registration I have only 1 day. So, I would like to know answer for my question: if I can develop this module in the context Summer of Code?

elf

Michael Schumacher
2006-05-07 14:22:27 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Summer of Code

wrote:

This link is about my idea: http://gimp.mrtech.ru/

There is short article. But if you are interested in I can show all mathemetic calculations, graphics and other materials I have.

Your application submitted in the Google SoC web interface should definitely contain links to this material.

It should also contain an overview of your educational background, and a rough schedule of the tasks you'll have to do.

Well, today is 7 may and for registration I have only 1 day. So, I would like to know answer for my question: if I can develop this module in the context Summer of Code?

Right now, my answer would be "no". This looks like "yet another edge detection filter".

This might be caused by mutual problem with the english language - from your description, there seems to be much more than is visible in the example images, almost like you're trying to convert an image to a vector representation with the ability to restore the bitmap image (the "parameters" your were talking about?).

You should show us why your approach it is outstanding - for example, how it performs in comparison to other edge detection filters in GIMP. Also, a short summary of possible uses (image analysis?, image recognition?) would help us to understand what a user can do with your approach.

Please submit your application to Google, and try to include anything make makes it possible to understand what you're going to do.

HTH, Michael

Nathan Summers
2006-05-07 15:32:36 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Summer of Code

On 5/7/06, Michael Schumacher wrote:

wrote:

Right now, my answer would be "no". This looks like "yet another edge detection filter".

True, although it seems like a better edge-detector than anything we have so far.

This might be caused by mutual problem with the english language - from your description, there seems to be much more than is visible in the example images, almost like you're trying to convert an image to a vector representation with the ability to restore the bitmap image (the "parameters" your were talking about?).

You should show us why your approach it is outstanding - for example, how it performs in comparison to other edge detection filters in GIMP. Also, a short summary of possible uses (image analysis?, image recognition?) would help us to understand what a user can do with your approach.

Please submit your application to Google, and try to include anything make makes it possible to understand what you're going to do.

One thing you might consider is that it appears that you already have working code, and in that case, converting that working code into a working GIMP plugin is usually a fairly straightforward process that is far less work than the scope of a typical SoC project. If there is a way you can think of broadening your proposal, it would help. You obviously have the education and experience that is most useful in a GIMP collaborator.

There are several example projects you might be interested in tackling alongside converting your code into a GIMP plugin. Perhaps one of those captures your imagination. Some of them involve plug-ins, so would be a natural tie-in.

You also might want to propose doing some work in translating the GIMP UI and/or help into your native language. While pure documentation work is not allowed by Google, I see nothing that forbids *any* documentation work, and depending on the state of the translation of gimp into your native tongue, it could be a great help to us. Still, if you do that, I suggest that you make at least one other proposal (Google allows you up to 20!) in case it gets disqualified.

Rockwalrus