RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

One layer merges

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

One layer merges saulgoode@brickfilms.com 02 May 05:54
  One layer merges Sven Neumann 02 May 09:19
saulgoode@brickfilms.com
2006-05-02 05:54:02 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

One layer merges

Rather than have a merge of a single visible layer result in an error message, would it be preferable to have the operation apply the Opacity setting to the layer?

ADVANTAGES:

* Eliminates an error message pop-up. * More intuitive. Merging down first applies the Opacity and then combines the layers. This method would retain the first step. * Eliminate the need to create a new transparent layer and merge that to apply the opacity. (At least, that's how I accomplish this.) * _Shouldn't_ affect plugins. I wouldn't think a plugin programmer would depend upon the GIMP core to control error interfaces with the user.

DISADVANTAGES:

* Eliminates a "stupidity check" for the user. (I prefer to assume a user knows what he is doing.)
* _Might_ impact other parts of the GIMP. Perhaps this would have an affect on things such as exporting; which is why I am asking.

I would be willing to pursue implementing this change if it is deemed desirable.

Sven Neumann
2006-05-02 09:19:01 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

One layer merges

Hi,

saulgoode@brickfilms.com writes:

Rather than have a merge of a single visible layer result in an error message, would it be preferable to have the operation apply the Opacity setting to the layer?

Perhaps not a bad idea at all. Can you file a bug report for this and perhaps attach a patch against current CVS (or 2.3.8)?

Sven