RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Accepting GSOC Students

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

20060422024618.85EE8B3D387@... 07 Oct 20:24
  Accepting GSOC Students David Neary 22 Apr 10:09
   Accepting GSOC Students Campbell Barton 22 Apr 10:55
   Accepting GSOC Students Michael Schumacher 22 Apr 11:43
    Accepting GSOC Students Kevin Cozens 22 Apr 18:20
David Neary
2006-04-22 10:09:05 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Accepting GSOC Students

Hi,

Michael Schumacher said:

1. They must be able to compile the software (a few students ended loosing time by not having a propper dev environment)

They must be able to build current CVS.

This should not be a prerequisite. Someone who knows the details of compiling software can learn how to build from CVS in a couple of days (for info: I say a couple of days because there are *lots* of prerequisites, and because using CVS itself is not obvious for someone who has never done so). Don't set the bar too high.

Cheers, Dave.

Campbell Barton
2006-04-22 10:55:59 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Accepting GSOC Students

David Neary wrote:

Hi,

Michael Schumacher said:

1. They must be able to compile the software (a few students ended loosing time by not having a propper dev environment)

This should not be a prerequisite. Someone who knows the details of compiling software can learn how to build from CVS in a couple of days (for info: I say a couple of days because there are *lots* of prerequisites, and because using CVS itself is not obvious for someone who has never done so). Don't set the bar too high.

Cheers, Dave.

I wasnt clear on this. Wasnt realy refering to CVS as in the tool. Just that they can get the latest source code and compile. A lot of people use Linux and it shouldent be a problem, but if somebody is used to MSVS6 on Win32, it might take a while to get it working. (not sure of the gimps build files on win32, only ever used linux)

A doc wiki on how to get the latest gtk/gimp etc compiling on win32 would be usefull.

I wrote up this doc for win32 blender users on howto, download, install dev tools and build the gimp as well as debugging with Mingw. http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/SconsRefactoring#Scons.2FMingw.2FWin32_tutorial

This would have definetly saved time for GSOC since people had trouble with blender builds under win32 (theres about 5 different build methods, and not all are well maintained)
Does the gimp have somting similar?

Wouldent mind compiling the gimp for my laptop under win32 even :)

- Cam

PS- Heared your lug radio interview not so long ago, nice work with the Libre Graphics meeting.

Michael Schumacher
2006-04-22 11:43:57 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Accepting GSOC Students

David Neary wrote:

Hi,

Michael Schumacher said:

They can do it in days only if their platform of choice has the required prerequisites. For example, you're out of luck with Debain stable or another older release of a distro. But I explained this in the part you didn't quote.

Michael

Kevin Cozens
2006-04-22 18:20:52 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Accepting GSOC Students

Michael Schumacher wrote:

Michael Schumacher said:

[snip]

[snip]

They can do it in days only if their platform of choice has the required prerequisites. For example, you're out of luck with Debain stable or another older release of a distro.

If you have an older release of a distro you are not out of luck as far as being able to build GIMP. It is often still possible as long as you first build the missing prerequisites. It just adds a little time to compile the extra packages.

I run a fairly current distro (currently Fedora Core 4). When I first upgraded from FC3 to FC4 my distro had all the needed prerequesites. Some while before before FC5 was released FC4 no longer had the required prerequesites as they were changed. It didn't didn't mean I was out of luck and would have to wait for the next upgrade to my distro.

In order to be able to build the CVS copy of GIMP once again it was only neccessary for me to build the latest atk, cairo, pango, glib, and gtk+ packages and install them in the separate directory I use for GIMP development.

Any GSOC student with a reasonably current distro should be capable of building GIMP. Its just a question of how many prerequisites they have to build. As long as they use a separate "sandbox" for GIMP development they won't have to worry about messing up their system.