RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Accepted plug-in development for Google SoC ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Accepted plug-in development for Google SoC ? Pedro Alonso 21 Apr 22:39
  Accepted plug-in development for Google SoC ? Nathan Summers 22 Apr 04:39
595e35640604220155t11c973d3... 07 Oct 20:24
  Accepted plug-in development for Google SoC ? Pedro Alonso 22 Apr 21:23
Pedro Alonso
2006-04-21 22:39:08 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hello,

I would like to develop a plug-in for The Gimp, but I don't know if it would be accepted as Google SoC project or need to be a contribution to the core of the program.

If it were possible my purpose is: - Implements the algorithm based on the paper "capturing a black cat in shade: past and present of Retinex color appearance models"

If not, I would like to ask some things about the purposals to SoC

#Resource management: should this project be implemented using Gimp API directly?

#Create an SDI manager widget: I have been searching how this option may be implemented. As gtk+ lacks of any standarized Support for MDI the option would be to implement it in gtk+ even with the option to tab the documents open in workspace. So if that option is enabled the main gtk program would be an instance of that gtk+ container class, and if not it would be as always has been. Am I in the right way?

cheers Pedro

Nathan Summers
2006-04-22 04:39:10 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On 4/21/06, Pedro Alonso wrote:

Hello,

I would like to develop a plug-in for The Gimp, but I don't know if it would be accepted as Google SoC project or need to be a contribution to the core of the program.

Depending on the nature of the plugin, it could very well be accepted as part or all of a SoC project.

If it were possible my purpose is: - Implements the algorithm based on the paper "capturing a black cat in shade: past and present of Retinex color appearance models"

That paper doesn't appear to be online. Could you provide a summary of the algorithm and its effects?

Rockwalrus

Pedro Alonso
2006-04-22 21:23:03 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi,

This algorithm is based on the idea that the human eye has the feature of color constancy which ensures that the perceived color of objects remains relatively constant under varying illumination conditions. The effect was described in 1971 by Edwin Land, who formulated retinex theory to explain it.
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinex

And this algorithm is an approximation to convert images that contain shadows and take an approximation of what the human eye was viewing when took the photo.

I put the links of some screenshots and the introduction of the paper: http://www.neurart.com/newbeta/pedro/retinex.png http://www.neurart.com/newbeta/pedro/retinex2.png

cheers, Pedro

On 4/22/06, Nathan Summers wrote:

On 4/21/06, Pedro Alonso wrote:

Hello,

Depending on the nature of the plugin, it could very well be accepted as part or all of a SoC project.

That paper doesn't appear to be online. Could you provide a summary of the algorithm and its effects?

Rockwalrus

Capturing a black cat in shade: past and present of Retinex color appearance models John J. McCann
McCann Imaging
Belmont, Massachusetts 02478 E-mail: mccanns@tiac.net

Abstract. This work recounts the research on capturing real-life scenes, calculating appearances, and rendering sensations on