RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Idea for data flow in gimp and or plug-ins

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Idea for data flow in gimp and or plug-ins Dov Grobgeld 19 Apr 21:29
  Idea for data flow in gimp and or plug-ins Tino Schwarze 19 Apr 22:14
  Idea for data flow in gimp and or plug-ins David Hodson 21 Apr 18:28
Dov Grobgeld
2006-04-19 21:29:16 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hello,

When reading about the ideas for the SoC, I was reminded of an idea I got when looking at a collegue showing me the L*bVi*w code development environment. By interactively dragging out various blocks with a different set of inputs and outputs and connecting these with connectors he basically created a "dataflow". In LV these are usually used for reading input from various HW sensors and displaying them in dials etc. As I was thinking about other uses for the same idea, I thought of two uses in Gimp. Either as what was mentioned on this list as "effect layers" or as an alternative way of creating scripts. The layer paridigm seems to be quite limited since it is effectively one-dimensional. I believe that creating a canvas containing effect boxes and connecting wires through which images and parameters would flow, would be an easier interface to comprehend.

Sorry for these somewhat disconnected thoughts. Should I write it up more organized in bugzilla?

Regards, Dov

Tino Schwarze
2006-04-19 22:14:31 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:29:16PM +0300, Dov Grobgeld wrote:

Hello,

When reading about the ideas for the SoC, I was reminded of an idea I got when looking at a collegue showing me the L*bVi*w code development environment. By interactively dragging out various blocks with a different set of inputs and outputs and connecting these with connectors he basically created a "dataflow". In LV these are usually used for reading input from various HW sensors and displaying them in dials etc. As I was thinking about other uses for the same idea, I thought of two uses in Gimp. Either as what was mentioned on this list as "effect layers" or as an alternative way of creating scripts. The layer paridigm seems to be quite limited since it is effectively one-dimensional. I believe that creating a canvas containing effect boxes and connecting wires through which images and parameters would flow, would be an easier interface to comprehend.

While it would be a quite useful tool for abstract thinking people, I think visually oriented users wouldn't see the use of that - after all, you need a lot of imagination and it is a very structured approach.

Great for macro editing though! :-)

AFAIK, GEGL is supposed to allow such things by providing the needed building blocks.

Hm. SoC project "build GEGL visual compisition graph editor"?

Bye,

Tino.

David Hodson
2006-04-21 18:28:15 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Dov Grobgeld wrote:

[...] I believe that creating a canvas containing effect boxes and connecting wires through which images and parameters would flow, would be an easier interface to comprehend.

Most movie visual effects (compositing) programs work in exactly that way. It's very effective for working with image sequences - you can keep adjusting the parameters (and adding new nodes) until the result is perfect.