RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Binary of Gimp devel branch for Win32

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Binary of Gimp devel branch for Win32 Frédéric 19 Apr 11:22
Binary of Gimp devel branch for Win32 Michael Schumacher 19 Apr 12:37
  Binary of Gimp devel branch for Win32 <pmagnoli@systemevolution.it> 19 Apr 12:56
Binary of Gimp devel branch for Win32 saulgoode@brickfilms.com 19 Apr 16:06
Frédéric
2006-04-19 11:22:54 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hello,

Do you know if someone maintains a binary of the Gimp devel branch, for Win32 ?

Thanks,

Michael Schumacher
2006-04-19 12:37:05 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Von: Frédéric

Yes, Jernej Simoncic. They are available from the same site as the stable versions, but a bit more hidden - on purpose. We're hesitating to have people to use them unless they know what they are doing.

HTH, Michael

<pmagnoli@systemevolution.it>
2006-04-19 12:56:26 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Sorry, but I have to say that this seems very stupid to me. To "scratch my itch" for the 2.3 version I had to install the whole mingw/msys/gtk ... lot and compile.
Luckyly I succeded in this but I don't really know how and why (apart from the excellent work of the development team of course). Now I see that a little link could have saved me time (and disk space ;-)) and maybe brought to GIMP some more beta testers. I can't understand the rationale behind this decision to hide the binaries. Regards

Paolo

"Michael Schumacher" ha scritto

Von: Frédéric

Yes, Jernej Simoncic. They are available from the same site as the stable versions, but a bit more hidden - on purpose. We're hesitating to have people to use them unless they know what they are doing.

HTH, Michael

saulgoode@brickfilms.com
2006-04-19 16:06:29 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Now I see that a little link could have saved me time (and disk space ;-)) and maybe brought to GIMP some more beta testers. I can't understand the rationale behind this decision to hide the binaries.

Paolo may be correct that a few beta-testers are "put off" by the effort of compiling from source and that they might otherwise provide valuable feedback. Nonetheless, adding "some more beta testers" is not always a good thing. I think it does not take much inductive reasoning to foresee that hundreds of Windows users who don't know what a DLL is would soon inundate the dozen or so developers available who have to address problem reports. Many of these new beta-testers would have merely downloaded the "latest version" and have no idea what beta-testing entails (I have seen this happen in the past).

If someone, like Paolo, wishes to ease the burden of compiling development versions from source and still be able to contribute then I would suggest that he get together with some like-minded people, and amongst themselves, share a pre-compiled binary and discuss the problems they encounter. Only one amongst the group would have to do the compiling and the group could work together to not only find problems but investigate solutions. In addition, the veteran members of the group could tutor the neophytes about the GIMP's development and create some truly worthwhile "beta-testers".

$0.02