RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Can we redearch end user needs and come up with a long term developement solution.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Can we redearch end user needs and come up with a long term developement solution. Tomasz Witko 18 Apr 20:10
  Can we redearch end user needs and come up with a long term developement solution. Alan Horkan 18 Apr 21:55
Tomasz Witko
2006-04-18 20:10:17 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Can we redearch end user needs and come up with a long term developement solution.

Hi I am new to the development list and have some quetions pertaining to the direction of developement of Gimp, I realy like Gimp and use it frequesntly and have some vaige suggestions for what the developent path of Gimp may follow to give it an advantage and hopefully bring in new Gimp users and better the usablity of Linux in general.

First off Most people compare Gimp to photoshop wich is a good direction to follow as they set the standard by addressing user needs though I feel Gimp should not be a Photoshop knock off and sort of develop in its own direction pertaining to the end users needs which I feel it does and seperated the knock off idea as GImp is following the needs of the user.

Anyways there are a few directions where GImp may gain an advantage over other editing software by combinning user needs and there for features that would give it an advantage over other Graphical programs but this has to be waighed against program bloat. Bloat may be eliviated by seperating Gimp into sections such as Photo editing and say for argument a Gimp paint shop and be able to make the open graphics window inteact with the different sections.

Basicly what I am getting at is it may be possible to combine many user needs into one segmented package filling the needs of many users with such features found in other praphics programms such as Photo Shop, Paint shop pro and a biggie that I used to use which was the old COral Draw which I found very usefull in making custom banner adds etc from scratch.

This would put Gimp in a graphical segment of its own and greatly increase user usabilty of Gimp and Linux in general.

Anyways this is just a suggestion and maybe we can hammer something out that is workable for Gimp in the long run. And sont get me wrong Gimp is very useable now but I feel it may do so much more as Linux developement programs are a bit scarce though rumor has it that this is changing.

Best Regards

Tomasz Witko

Alan Horkan
2006-04-18 21:55:49 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

I understand English may not be your first language but your writing is somewhat difficult to read and understand, a spellcheck would really help and allow you to make your points without distraction.

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Tomasz Witko wrote:

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:10:17 -0400 From: Tomasz Witko
To: Gimp Development
Subject: [Gimp-developer] Can we redearch end user needs and come up with a long term developement solution.

Hi I am new to the development list and have some quetions pertaining to the direction of developement of Gimp, I realy like Gimp and use it frequesntly and have some vaige suggestions for what the developent path of Gimp may

follow to give it an advantage and hopefully bring in new Gimp users and

Some developers have expressed the opinion that bringing in new users is not a priority. The underlying assumption is that more users will result in more developers but that doesn't seem to

better the usablity of Linux in general.

First off Most people compare Gimp to photoshop wich is a good direction to follow as they set the standard by addressing user needs though I feel Gimp should not be a Photoshop knock off and sort of develop in its own direction pertaining to the end users needs which I feel it does and seperated the knock off idea as GImp is following the needs of the user.

Anyways there are a few directions where GImp may gain an advantage over other editing software by combinning user needs and there for features that would give it an advantage over other Graphical programs but this has to be waighed against program bloat. Bloat may be eliviated by seperating Gimp into sections such as Photo editing and say for argument a Gimp paint shop and be able to make the open graphics window inteact with the different sections.

Basicly what I am getting at is it may be possible to combine many user needs into one segmented package filling the needs of many users with such features found in other praphics programms such as Photo Shop, Paint shop

pro and a biggie that I used to use which was the old COral Draw which I found very usefull in making custom banner adds etc from scratch.

Corel Draw is a vector graphics program, quite different from the GNU Image Manipulation program, perhaps you meant a different program from Corel?

If vector graphics is what you really want you might be better off looking at Inkscape:
http://inkscape.org

very useable now but I feel it may do so much more as Linux developement

[usable]

programs are a bit scarce though rumor has it that this is changing.

More programs does not necessarily mean better programs. The ability to get involved in development means people are can work to try and improve the best programs available instead of starting from scratch unless they really want to. combine that with the option of running windows programs using Wine I'm not sure I agree with your assertion about programs being scarce.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org Abiword http://www.abisource.com