RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to install gimp-cvs entirely to my $HOME (Linux)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to install gimp-cvs entirely to my $HOME (Linux) Zephyr 16 Apr 20:10
  How to install gimp-cvs entirely to my $HOME (Linux) Manish Singh 16 Apr 21:22
   How to install gimp-cvs entirely to my $HOME (Linux) Zephyr 16 Apr 22:32
Zephyr
2006-04-16 20:10:54 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hello,
I wanted to compile My Very Own GIMP From CVS (TM) and play with the code, explore it etc. As it should be just my playground, I don't want to install it system-wide and possibly endanger my stable GIMP 2.2.10 installed from RPM. So I made directory (my $HOME is /home/zephyr):

/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs

where I made CVS checkout. In this directory I created another one :

MY-USR-LOCAL

and ran

./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/MY-USR-LOCAL make
make install

The configuration and compilation went hapilly, but "make install" eventually failed:

Making install in libgimpconfig make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/libgimpconfig' make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/libgimpconfig' test -z "/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/MY-USR-LOCAL/lib" || mkdir -p -- "/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/MY-USR-LOCAL/lib" /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c 'libgimpconfig-2.0.la'
'/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/MY-USR-LOCAL/lib/libgimpconfig-2.0.la' libtool: install: error: cannot install `libgimpconfig-2.0.la' to a directory not ending in /usr/local/lib make[2]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/libgimpconfig' make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/libgimpconfig' make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

The relevant error extracted from this is:

libtool: install: error: cannot install `libgimpconfig-2.0.la' to a directory not ending in /usr/local/lib

I am sorry if I am asking some obvious and stupid question, but I don't know how to install it only in my home directory ? Even if system-wide installation will not damage other versions (I belive it won't), I anyway want to have it in my home, so I won't have to become root every time I do something with the source and run make && make install. It is convenient and I think that many people do it like this. Or, if there is another way, please kick me in the right direction. I'm just starting to explore the GIMP development.

Thanks in advance for any help!

--- zepphyr

Manish Singh
2006-04-16 21:22:21 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 08:10:54PM +0200, Zephyr wrote:

Hello,
I wanted to compile My Very Own GIMP From CVS (TM) and play with the code, explore it etc. As it should be just my playground, I don't want to install it system-wide and possibly endanger my stable GIMP 2.2.10 installed from RPM. So I made directory (my $HOME is /home/zephyr):

/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs

where I made CVS checkout. In this directory I created another one :

MY-USR-LOCAL

and ran

./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/MY-USR-LOCAL make
make install

The configuration and compilation went hapilly, but "make install" eventually failed:

Making install in libgimpconfig make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/libgimpconfig' make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/libgimpconfig' test -z "/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/MY-USR-LOCAL/lib" || mkdir -p -- "/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/MY-USR-LOCAL/lib" /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c 'libgimpconfig-2.0.la'
'/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/MY-USR-LOCAL/lib/libgimpconfig-2.0.la' libtool: install: error: cannot install `libgimpconfig-2.0.la' to a directory not ending in /usr/local/lib make[2]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/libgimpconfig' make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/libgimpconfig' make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

The relevant error extracted from this is:

libtool: install: error: cannot install `libgimpconfig-2.0.la' to a directory not ending in /usr/local/lib

Sounds like you first built without specifying a --prefix. You need to run "make clean" and then rebuild.

-Yosh

Zephyr
2006-04-16 22:32:51 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 12:22 -0700, Manish Singh wrote:

Sounds like you first built without specifying a --prefix. You need to run "make clean" and then rebuild.

-Yosh

Exactly. make clean solved it, thank you !