RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Compiling gimp under debian with gimp-print support

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Compiling gimp under debian with gimp-print support Frédéric 16 Apr 17:41
  Compiling gimp under debian with gimp-print support Akkana Peck 16 Apr 18:44
   Compiling gimp under debian with gimp-print support Frédéric 16 Apr 19:15
   Compiling gimp under debian with gimp-print support Robert L Krawitz 16 Apr 19:36
    Compiling gimp under debian with gimp-print support Frédéric 16 Apr 20:32
     Compiling gimp under debian with gimp-print support Robert L Krawitz 16 Apr 20:53
  Compiling gimp under debian with gimp-print support Clarence Risher 16 Apr 20:37
   Compiling gimp under debian with gimp-print support Frédéric 16 Apr 20:43
87wtdh37ru.fsf@hardknott.ho... 07 Oct 20:24
  Compiling gimp under debian with gimp-print support Frédéric 23 Apr 09:39
Frédéric
2006-04-16 17:41:48 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hello,

I successfully compiled gimp-cvs under my debian testing, but without gimp-print support.

What do I need to install to get it ? I can't find any gimp-print-dev or so package...

Thanks,

Akkana Peck
2006-04-16 18:44:22 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Frédéric writes:

I successfully compiled gimp-cvs under my debian testing, but without gimp-print support.

What do I need to install to get it ? I can't find any gimp-print-dev or so package...

When you're searching, be sure you use a search that would catch both "gimp-print" and "gimpprint", e.g. aptitude search gimp | grep print.

But it's likely that they've switched to gutenprint (new name, same project), and although there's a libgutenprint-dev package (at least here in Ubuntu), GIMP's configure script is only set up to look for older gimp-print headers, not the newer gutenprint ones.

My understanding is that the gutenprint gimp plug-in is now expected to come from gutenprint, rather than from gimp. (Maybe someone else can clarify that.)

In any case, it does work to build gutenprint from source (http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/ ... and yes, the page still says Gimp-Print, but if you click on Download you'll find the gutenprint releases. It's all very confusing). Make sure that the gimp2 print plugin is enabled (I believe it is by default, at least if you have the gimp dev headers installed). Then the plugin will be built in the gutenprint source tree for use with your CVS gimp.

...Akkana

Frédéric
2006-04-16 19:15:13 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Dimanche 16 Avril 2006 18:44, Akkana Peck wrote:

But it's likely that they've switched to gutenprint (new name, same project), and although there's a libgutenprint-dev package (at least here in Ubuntu), GIMP's configure script is only set up to look for older gimp-print headers, not the newer gutenprint ones.

My understanding is that the gutenprint gimp plug-in is now expected to come from gutenprint, rather than from gimp. (Maybe someone else can clarify that.)

In any case, it does work to build gutenprint from source (http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/ ... and yes, the page still says Gimp-Print, but if you click on Download you'll find the gutenprint releases. It's all very confusing). Make sure that the gimp2 print plugin is enabled (I believe it is by default, at least if you have the gimp dev headers installed). Then the plugin will be built in the gutenprint source tree for use with your CVS gimp.

Thank you very much for you help. I'll try to compile gutenprint from source...

Robert L Krawitz
2006-04-16 19:36:22 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:44:22 -0700 From: Akkana Peck

Frédéric writes: > I successfully compiled gimp-cvs under my debian testing, but without > gimp-print support.
>
> What do I need to install to get it ? I can't find any gimp-print-dev or so > package...

When you're searching, be sure you use a search that would catch both "gimp-print" and "gimpprint", e.g. aptitude search gimp | grep print.

The right thing to do here is to build the GIMP without print support, and then build Gutenprint from source, as Akkana suggests.

Yes, we know that the web site names are confusing, but we don't have anyone to create a new web site (i. e. we need help :-) ).

Frédéric
2006-04-16 20:32:48 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Dimanche 16 Avril 2006 19:36, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

The right thing to do here is to build the GIMP without print support, and then build Gutenprint from source, as Akkana suggests.

Do you think it will work if I rebuild gutenprint from debian source package ? At this time, it is the version 5.0.0-rc2 in testing...

Clarence Risher
2006-04-16 20:37:24 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On 4/16/06, Frédéric wrote:

What do I need to install to get it ? I can't find any gimp-print-dev or so
package...

I believe libgimpprint1-dev is the package that you need

(sorry Frederic for the double email)

Frédéric
2006-04-16 20:43:13 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Dimanche 16 Avril 2006 20:37, Clarence Risher wrote:

I believe libgimpprint1-dev is the package that you need

Unfortunaly, this package does not exist anymore in debian testing.

(sorry Frederic for the double email)

No problem.

Robert L Krawitz
2006-04-16 20:53:36 UTC (about 18 years ago)

From: =?iso-8859-15?q?Fr=E9d=E9ric?= Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 20:32:48 +0200

On Dimanche 16 Avril 2006 19:36, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

> The right thing to do here is to build the GIMP without print support, > and then build Gutenprint from source, as Akkana suggests.

Do you think it will work if I rebuild gutenprint from debian source=20 package ? At this time, it is the version 5.0.0-rc2 in testing...

I'd expect so; Roger Leigh can add any comments.

Frédéric
2006-04-23 09:39:40 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Samedi 22 Avril 2006 18:16, Roger Leigh wrote:

(I've not seen the context for why you want to do this, so I'm not sure what this is for.)

I was asking how to get gimp-print support with gimp cvs version. It seems that the gimp-print plugin is now in the guttenprint package. So I need to first compile gimp without gimp-print, and then compile guttenprint, which will add the gimp-print plugin (as it will find the gimp dev tree).

Am I right ?