RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Plea for a new interface...

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Plea for a new interface... Roland Wild 01 Apr 22:29
Plea for a new interface... Roland Wild 02 Apr 10:00
  Plea for a new interface... Alan Horkan 02 Apr 23:07
   Plea for a new interface... Tim Jedlicka 03 Apr 05:30
Roland Wild
2006-04-01 22:29:57 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Excuse me for the title in my precedent mail. I would like to write Plea instead of Pea.

Roland

Roland Wild
2006-04-02 10:00:35 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Carol,

I can't understand your response. (maybe a little because of the english language)
Carol, i think you minimize the importance of users opinions in the development of a software... or maybe it's me who maximize it. Consider how many people are faithful users of the GIMP. Each of them may have ideas or feelings to improve the program. If you truely think that my intervention was useless I apologize because I made you waste your time. Actually I made an error: I took the wrong mailing list. In this case it would be an idea to create one called "your suggestions" (unless you think that this doesn't have good grounds to exist) and another where people could come and say how they are happy with the GIMP.
Carol, believe me, I have a great respect for the work of everybody. if the suggestions I made was interpreted as a critic (what I can understand because unlike in french the words review and critic are synonymous in english) I excuse me another time.
I will continue to use and promote this program because I like it and it do me good turns. Actually as I said in a precedent mail others have answered to my questions (Robert, Alexandre, etc). I don't insist in this way (the "review" i proposed) anymore. I will try to made a little video to show if the suggestions they gave me can be "efficient". Another time I thank them.

With respect

Roland.

Alan Horkan
2006-04-02 23:07:50 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006, Roland Wild wrote:

Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 04:00:35 -0400 From: Roland Wild
To: gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Subject: [Gimp-developer] Plea for a new interface...

Carol,

I can't understand your response. (maybe a little because of the english language)
Carol, i think you minimize the importance of users opinions in the development of a software... or maybe it's me who maximize it.

I think it might be good to say that Carol has liked and used the GIMP for a long time and is concerned that changes others want might not turn out to be improvements, and is a good representative of long term users.

If you truely think that my intervention was useless I apologize because I made you waste your time.

Many people make many suggestions but very few help out. People who quite like things the way they are tend to get a little annoyed and not understand why people complain so much and do so little about it. It is very difficult for developers and existing users to be as nice to the first person as the hundreth person to ask the same thing.

Me, I'm not content with thing the way they are but things are improving (compare version 1.2 to now). There are very few good alternatives if you want to use GNU Free Software and complaining doesn't really help anyone. I would prefer if people were more willing to copy Photoshop unless there were specific reasons not to copy certain details, instead of the default position being to judge suggestions in isolation but I'll keep trying to nudge things along. (For example: I think showing the text labels on the palettes would make things easier to learn, and the bigger targets easier to hit. I usually have icons and text showing, or sometimes status and text a neat feature you might not have discovered yet. Might file a request later.)

and another where people could come and say how they are happy with the

Happy people tend to get on with creating artwork. Sometimes the feedback developers get might not be representative but hopefully things can be improved without upsetting existing users.

suggestions I made was interpreted as a critic (what I can understand because unlike in french the words review and critic are synonymous in english) I excuse me another time.

They are almost the same in Engish, we borrow the word 'critique'. The problem is probably more to do with it being difficult to express things in writing, I often find people on the internet to be rude and excessively blunt when apparently they aren't doing it on purpose (again and again and again).

I will continue to use and promote this program because I like it and it do me good turns. Actually as I said in a precedent mail others have answered to my questions (Robert, Alexandre, etc). I don't insist in this way (the "review" i proposed) anymore. I will try to made a little video to show if the suggestions they gave me can be "efficient". Another time I thank them.

Stick around, perhaps you can still suggest changes that enough people will like and maybe you could help out some way towards helping get those changes made.

Tim Jedlicka
2006-04-03 05:30:47 UTC (about 18 years ago)

If you truely think that my intervention was useless I apologize because I

made you waste your time.

You took the time to create a screen mock-up (example). You are in the minority, so thank you. However, I'm just a long time user and occasional bug reporter so my "thank you" carries less weight than the developers (IMHO), but don't be discouraged or overly sensitive about the reaction to your suggestion by some on this list.

You did not waste my time. I enjoyed your screen mockups - it made it very easy for me to understand your concept. On the other hand - others used to waste my time so much with their righteous indignation that I dropped off the list for a while. They have since toned down their rhetoric and I rejoined the list with a better understanding of the personalities.

All projects (that want to grow or survive) need new blood, even if they rehash old arguements.