RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Problem with gimp-cvs and gimp stable configs

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Problem with gimp-cvs and gimp stable configs Frédéric 24 Mar 15:22
  Problem with gimp-cvs and gimp stable configs Sven Neumann 25 Mar 23:34
   Problem with gimp-cvs and gimp stable configs Frédéric 26 Mar 10:29
Frédéric
2006-03-24 15:22:45 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hello,

I recently compiled gimp from 2.3.7 tarball, and then from CVS, to test the new features. This version is installed in /usr/local, and uses ~/.gimp-2.3 config dir (which was generated from ~/.gimp-2.2 the first time I launched gimp-2.3, if I remember).

Yesterday, I tried to launch the stable version (from debian etch package), but it failed with a seg. fault. The problem seems to be the config dir used: the stable version (2.2.10) loads configs from the ~/.gimp-2.3, not from ~/.gimp-2.2. And if I remove ~/.gimp-2.3, Gimp launchs the configuration wizard.

I tried to reinstall all gimp packages from debian repository, without success.

Any idea ?

Thanks,

Sven Neumann
2006-03-25 23:34:01 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi,

Frédéric writes:

I recently compiled gimp from 2.3.7 tarball, and then from CVS, to test the new features. This version is installed in /usr/local, and uses ~/.gimp-2.3 config dir (which was generated from ~/.gimp-2.2 the first time I launched gimp-2.3, if I remember).

Yesterday, I tried to launch the stable version (from debian etch package), but it failed with a seg. fault. The problem seems to be the config dir used: the stable version (2.2.10) loads configs from the ~/.gimp-2.3, not from ~/.gimp-2.2. And if I remove ~/.gimp-2.3, Gimp launchs the configuration wizard.

You ignored the warning in the release notes that ask you to install the development version in a separate prefix that is not part of the system library search path. Or perhaps the release notes need to be improved to make it more clear that gimp-2.2 will start to use the gimp-2.3 libraries if these are installed in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/lib is in the library search path before /usr/lib.

Sven

Frédéric
2006-03-26 10:29:14 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Samedi 25 Mars 2006 23:34, Sven Neumann wrote:

You ignored the warning in the release notes that ask you to install the development version in a separate prefix that is not part of the system library search path. Or perhaps the release notes need to be improved to make it more clear that gimp-2.2 will start to use the gimp-2.3 libraries if these are installed in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/lib is in the library search path before /usr/lib.

Ok, I see. You are right, I thought that /usr/local was OK. I uninstalled gimp-2.3 from /usr/local, and gimp-2.2 is running again.

I will re-run autogen.sh with an other --prefix path.

Thanks,