RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

./configure not finding glib?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

./configure not finding glib? Martin Nordholts 23 Mar 23:14
  ./configure not finding glib? Alexandre Prokoudine 23 Mar 23:19
   ./configure not finding glib? Martin Nordholts 24 Mar 00:00
    ./configure not finding glib? Shlomi Fish 24 Mar 08:38
  ./configure not finding glib? David Gómez 24 Mar 03:32
  ./configure not finding glib? Sven Neumann 24 Mar 09:08
955afe440603251709o7aee19a2... 07 Oct 20:24
  ./configure not finding glib? Nathan Summers 26 Mar 03:11
Martin Nordholts
2006-03-23 23:14:57 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hello again!

The first step for me to be able to contribute to GIMP is making it build.

I have downloaded and compiled several libraries, but I am having problem with glib.

I downloaded the 2.10.1 glib tarball from gnome servers, and ran ./configure, make, make install succesfully (well at least it appeared that way). However, when I run the ./configure it fails when it checks glib version.

The strange thing is that when I run glib-config --version, it spits out 1.-something. That's weird isn't it?

I have a Mandriva 2006 Free Edition and it is a very "default" installation, i.e. I guess there is no problem with not passing any arguments to ./configure, since mandriva uses the default /usr/local/-path for stuff.

While I'm at it, why do you have to type ./configure? Isn't ./ just the name for the current directory?

I am quite new to linux, and this is my first attempt to compile anything this big with this much dependencies.

Does anyone know why it gimp/configure doesn't identify the fresh from-source-installation of glib 2.10.1?

(And btw, is this the right place to ask this question?)

Sincerly, Martin Nordholts, Sweden

Alexandre Prokoudine
2006-03-23 23:19:45 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On 3/24/06, Martin Nordholts wrote:

I have downloaded and compiled several libraries, but I am having problem with glib.

I downloaded the 2.10.1 glib tarball from gnome servers, and ran ./configure, make, make install succesfully (well at least it appeared that way). However, when I run the ./configure it fails when it checks glib version.

A couple of questions.

1. For which version of GIMP are you trying to compile these most modern libs? 2. Did you try to find prebuilt prerequisit RPMs for your distribution if they are missing from CD?

There should be a simpler way to get things done ;)

Alexandre

Martin Nordholts
2006-03-24 00:00:47 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Oops, forgot to tell.

I try to compile the latest tarball: GIMP 2.3.7.

Yep, I first and foremost looked for precompiled libs in Mandrivas packet manager, but I didn't find some of them, though lots of libs are directly installed from there.

To: GIMPDev
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] ./configure not finding glib? Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 01:19:45 +0300

On 3/24/06, Martin Nordholts wrote:

The first step for me to be able to contribute to GIMP is making it

build.

I have downloaded and compiled several libraries, but I am having

problem

with glib.

I downloaded the 2.10.1 glib tarball from gnome servers, and ran ./configure, make, make install succesfully (well at least it appeared

that

way). However, when I run the ./configure it fails when it checks glib version.

A couple of questions.

1. For which version of GIMP are you trying to compile these most modern libs?
2. Did you try to find prebuilt prerequisit RPMs for your distribution if they are missing from CD?

There should be a simpler way to get things done ;)

Alexandre

David Gómez
2006-03-24 03:32:33 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi Martin,

On Mar 23 at 11:14:57, Martin Nordholts wrote:

The strange thing is that when I run glib-config --version, it spits out 1.-something. That's weird isn't it?

What it's weird is that you got glib-config in glib-2.10.1. glib-config is only in old versions, recent versions use pkg-config files.

regards,

Shlomi Fish
2006-03-24 08:38:11 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Friday 24 March 2006 01:00, Martin Nordholts wrote:

Oops, forgot to tell.

I try to compile the latest tarball: GIMP 2.3.7.

Yep, I first and foremost looked for precompiled libs in Mandrivas packet manager, but I didn't find some of them, though lots of libs are directly installed from there.

Note that you can build the Source RPMs from Mandriva Cooker by building them with the "rpm --rebuild" command. You can find a list of mirrors here:

http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/CookerMirrors

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/

95% of the programmers consider 95% of the code they did not write, in the bottom 5%.

Sven Neumann
2006-03-24 09:08:59 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi,

"Martin Nordholts" writes:

Not weird at all, see http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-compiling.html

You probably also want to read the file INSTALL that comes with the GIMP source tree and should give you enough information to succeed building GIMP.

Sven

Nathan Summers
2006-03-26 03:11:07 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On 3/23/06, Martin Nordholts wrote:

Hello again!

While I'm at it, why do you have to type ./configure? Isn't ./ just the name for the current directory?

Unlike dos/windows, linux doesn't search the current directory for programs to run unless . is in the path. Traditionally, . is not put in the path because of potential security problems, although some distros will put it as the last element in the path. (putting it before the last element can certainly be a problem.)

Does anyone know why it gimp/configure doesn't identify the fresh from-source-installation of glib 2.10.1?

If you did a ./configure with no arguments, "make install" installed glib into /usr/local, which isn't searched for by default by ./configure. You can tell pkg-config to look there by setting an environment variable. Off the top of my head, I think it is PKG_CONFIG_PATH, but you might want to type "man pkg-config" to make sure. So just run

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig ./configure

instead of

./configure

and it should compile just fine. You'll have to do the same thing for every other ./configure you run that needs libraries installed in /usr/local.

(As an aside, the reason that the default location for installation is /usr/local/* instead of /usr/* is because the files installed in /usr/* are supposed to be managed by your package manager, while /usr/local is the traditional location for system-wide installation of programs that you've compiled yourself. If you want to run the development version of gimp alongside the stable version, you will need to install it someplace else. I personally use /usr/unstable.)

As Sven suggested, reading the INSTALL file should be helpful. I recommend you read all the UPPERCASE files, especially in gimp.

Rockwalrus