RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Thanks developers

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Thanks developers Simon Roberts 23 Mar 16:07
  Thanks developers Scott 23 Mar 19:52
  Thanks developers Tim Jedlicka 24 Mar 01:10
Simon Roberts
2006-03-23 16:07:19 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Thanks developers

I've watched, somewhat intrigued, the discussions about abbreviations, user interfaces, and whether it's more important to have elegant, largely unused code, or massively popular code that perhaps isn't entirely clean.

I'd like to add my perspective as a user.

1) Making the interface "just like photoshop" seems like a fools errand. Photoshop's interface changes from time to time, sometimes quite significantly (friends who use it are currently expressing mixed feelings about "Bridge").

2) Everything is a little different, even subsequent releases of M$ software. Folks learn to deal with that, provided they get what they need, and can see that it's worth the change.

3) If developer resources are hard to find, of course you can't put unbounded effort into lots of WIBNIF features.

4) Right now, there's only one compelling reason I use photoshop (yes, sadly, I use both. I use GIMP for the bulk of stuff I do) and that's color managment. I strongly suspect that there's very few photographers or graphic artists who takes their work seriously who doesn't feel a strong need for good color matching. Heck, even Costco of all mass market places offers individual color profiles for their in-store printers!

So, I'd like to offer my thanks to the developers: it's a fantastic tool. I'd like to offer my encouragement too: you're doing a great job with very limited resources. I'd like to offer my "vote" (I know I don't have one really, but whatever) that you don't worry too much about the UI, but that you don't forget about color management. I'd love to shut down my little, ancient, overloaded and underpowered iBook for the last time.

Great job developers, thanks. Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." ? Naguib Mahfouz

___

Scott
2006-03-23 19:52:43 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Thanks developers

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 07:07:19AM -0800, Simon Roberts wrote:

I've watched, somewhat intrigued, the discussions about abbreviations, user interfaces, and whether it's more important to have elegant, largely unused code, or massively popular code that perhaps isn't entirely clean.

I'd like to add my perspective as a user.

And mine: I've never used photoshop, so I have no idea what its UI might have that I would like. The point is, I am *used* to the gimp UI, flawed or not. If, for some strange reason, I were to find myself forced to use photoshop, I'm sure I'd be grumbling because it didn't act like the gimp. From a user's perspective, there is nothing more irritating than to have a familiar interface suddenly undergo drastic changes. So please consider verrrrry carefully before performing major surgery on it.

As to tabbed image-windows, which was mentioned in the discussion, that is easily-achievable with the gimp in fluxbox. Seems to me to be more of a wm issue, unless I'm not understanding what's being discussed (highly likely...)

So, I'd like to offer my thanks to the developers: it's a fantastic tool. I'd like to offer my encouragement too: you're doing a great job with very limited resources.

Hear, hear!

Scott Swanson

Tim Jedlicka
2006-03-24 01:10:55 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Thanks developers

On 3/23/06, Simon Roberts wrote:

1) Making the interface "just like photoshop" seems like a fools errand.

I've always viewed the "arguement" analogous to English versus Spanish (or pick your favorite language). Photoshop may be like English (lots of people use it), but why would you argue that Spanish speakers should put their adjectives before their nouns... Words have a sense of gender in Spanish, but not English - that's OK. Both work, have different rules, and different ways of doing things, but the both ultimately allow you to communicate.