RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

[CREATE] Open File Format for Raster/Bitmaps Graphics

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Open File Format for Raster/Bitmaps Graphics Cyrille Berger 21 Mar 00:40
  [CREATE] Open File Format for Raster/Bitmaps Graphics Alexandre Prokoudine 21 Mar 00:56
Cyrille Berger
2006-03-21 00:40:11 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Open File Format for Raster/Bitmaps Graphics

Hello,

Firstly, I invite developers of The Gimp, Cinepaint, Krita and any other projects interested in talking about an Open File Format for Raster/Bitmaps Graphics to join the create mailing list at freedesktop.org (more information at http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/create) and not to answer it on specific projects mailing list.

So this discution is about a common file for graphics applications, and used for sharing graphics between different projects, like OASIS's opendocument is for office applications, and svg for vectorial graphics.

### Three Steps

I think we should divide the effort of defining the specification of the file format in three steps :
1) identification of needs, problems and requirements 2) general technical solutions
3) writing the specs

### A roadmap

I propose that we follow this roadmap: - until the end of March, everyone express freely what he thinks are the needs / problems
- someone (a native speaker would be better I guess) will then write the draft of the list of requirements for the specification, after this document is produce, we take some time to think about what we have forgotten, what need to be add and modified, and the final version will be published for the end of April the begining of May
- until the end of june, we take between a month or two months to discuss the general technical solutions and we decide who (a group of person) will be charge of writting the draft of the specification

It would be nice to have the specification ready for the end of the year. And as the specifications has to be extensible, it seems to be a reasonable goal.

Please note, that this roadmap is just an indication, I have no idea of how much time each steps will require.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2006-03-21 00:56:52 UTC (about 18 years ago)

[CREATE] Open File Format for Raster/Bitmaps Graphics

On 3/21/06, Cyrille Berger wrote:

Firstly, I invite developers of The Gimp, Cinepaint, Krita and any other projects interested in talking about an Open File Format for Raster/Bitmaps Graphics to join the create mailing list at freedesktop.org (more information at http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/create) and not to answer it on specific projects mailing list.

And let me remind others that there is an initial list of requirements: http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/index.php/General_multilayered_bitmap_exchange_format

It would be great, however, if we had discussion in the mailing list in the first place, and not silent edits in wiki ;-)

Alexandre