RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Usage of icons from GIMP (post-back to mailing-list)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Usage of icons from GIMP (post-back to mailing-list) Thor Harald Johansen 18 Feb 18:49
  Usage of icons from GIMP (post-back to mailing-list) Jakub Steiner 20 Feb 21:32
Thor Harald Johansen
2006-02-18 18:49:12 UTC (about 18 years ago)

The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it. That has nothing to be with being a text file so my understanding is that images are also 'source code'.

I'm not so sure. The icons in GIMP may originate from a vector drawing program. A 16x16 anti-aliased picture of a pencil is near impossible to edit. The stock icons in GIMP are probably renditions of some source that the artist hasn't published. If I were drawing these icons, I'd use at least 2 layers, one for color and one for outline, to compose them. I don't see multi-layer image files being included anywhere. This sort of thing makes it difficult to apply the GPL to image files, so the question still remains... --
Thor

Jakub Steiner
2006-02-20 21:32:18 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 18:49 +0100, Thor Harald Johansen wrote:

The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it. That has nothing to be with being a text file so my understanding is that images are also 'source code'.

I'm not so sure. The icons in GIMP may originate from a vector drawing program. A 16x16 anti-aliased picture of a pencil is near impossible to edit. The stock icons in GIMP are probably renditions of some source that the artist hasn't published. If I were drawing these icons, I'd use at least 2 layers, one for color and one for outline, to compose them. I don't see multi-layer image files being included anywhere. This sort of thing makes it difficult to apply the GPL to image files, so the question still remains...

I'm the author of majority of the icons in GIMP at the moment. The icons are not vector art, they are 1:1 bitmaps as you see them. The pngs in this case are "the source artwork".

cheers