RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

CMM

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

CMM Andreas Klafft 17 Feb 11:15
  Pine.LNX.4.61.0602171147120... Kai-Uwe Behrmann 17 Feb 11:49
   CMM Campbell Barton 17 Feb 11:54
  CMM Sven Neumann 17 Feb 13:39
  CMM Hal V. Engel 17 Feb 18:22
CMM Michael Schumacher 17 Feb 13:01
Andreas Klafft
2006-02-17 11:15:12 UTC (about 18 years ago)

CMM

Hallo all,

I am a GIMP user from Germany. I work in a company for large size printing (up to 5m) as an service and application engineer. At home I am using GIMP on a Linux machine. But now my questions: What's about colormanagement (CMM) in the GIMP? What is planned and how can I help you to improve the poor possibilities in GIMP and Linux. I am experienced in CMM and like to share this knowledge with you. But there has to be a lot of work for this not only in the GIMP, also in the LINUX. If you want to know somthing about that, please ask. Or is there something regarding licenses? That will be a pitty. In the GIMP I see only the implementation of the lcms-lib. This is not a starting point, this is nothing. Because you don't see really, what you do. I think there must be some developers only in charge for the CMM. But sorry, I am not able to write programs. But I can give you some stuff how-to.
I will be thankfull for any response.

Regards Andreas

Campbell Barton
2006-02-17 11:54:05 UTC (about 18 years ago)

CMM

I think he means gimps implementation is not on wysiwyg

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

Am 17.02.06, 11:15 +0100 schrieb Andreas Klafft:

In the GIMP I see only the implementation of the lcms-lib. This is not a starting point, this is nothing. Because you don't see really, what you do. I

lcms is open source. What would you expect to see more?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen Kai-Uwe Behrmann
+ Programmierung für + Farbmanagement / Bilder / Panoramen + http://www.behrmann.name + email: ku.b@gmx.de

------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________ Gimp-developer mailing list
Gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer

Michael Schumacher
2006-02-17 13:01:43 UTC (about 18 years ago)

CMM

Von: Campbell Barton

I think he means gimps implementation is not on wysiwyg

So this basically means that he didn't RTFM and UTFP (Use The Fine Program) :)

And surely there would be better replies if the questions is rephrased and indicate what point the original author is trying to get across.

HTH, Michael

Sven Neumann
2006-02-17 13:39:32 UTC (about 18 years ago)

CMM

Hi,

Andreas Klafft writes:

I am a GIMP user from Germany. I work in a company for large size printing (up to 5m) as an service and application engineer. At home I am using GIMP on a Linux machine. But now my questions: What's about colormanagement (CMM) in the GIMP? What is planned and how can I help you to improve the poor possibilities in GIMP and Linux.

Please see http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=78265 and check the archives of this mailing-list for discussions on this topic. Work is underway to improve color management in GIMP 2.4 but lately there hasn't been much progress and any help is definitely appreciated.

Sven

Hal V. Engel
2006-02-17 18:22:11 UTC (about 18 years ago)

CMM

On Friday 17 February 2006 02:15 am, Andreas Klafft wrote:

Hallo all,

I am a GIMP user from Germany. I work in a company for large size printing (up to 5m) as an service and application engineer. At home I am using GIMP on a Linux machine. But now my questions: What's about colormanagement (CMM) in the GIMP? What is planned and how can I help you to improve the poor possibilities in GIMP and Linux. I am experienced in CMM and like to share this knowledge with you. But there has to be a lot of work for this not only in the GIMP, also in the LINUX. If you want to know somthing about that, please ask. Or is there something regarding licenses? That will be a pitty. In the GIMP I see only the implementation of the lcms-lib. This is not a starting point, this is nothing. Because you don't see really, what you do. I think there must be some developers only in charge for the CMM. But sorry, I am not able to write programs. But I can give you some stuff how-to.
I will be thankfull for any response.

Regards Andreas

In addition to the other replies I am going to add that there is a lot of stuff happening in this area for open source systems in general. As Sven has pointed out there is work underway to add CM awareness to GIMP and I am sure that any help you could provide would be very welcome by those developing GIMP and the GIMP user community. In fact the current GIMP development snapshot has some CM functionality but as Sven said needs more work.

In addition there is CM related work going on with X.Org, CUPS, CinePaint, enblend, Hugin, LPROF, ArgyllCMS, Scribus, Krita, ImageMagick and many other applications. If you want to keep informed about what is happening with CM for OSS projects I would recommend that you subscribe to the OpenICC mailing list. Developers from all of the above projects are active on that mailing list as well as many others.

Hal