RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Image size limit of GIMP & Image SDK

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Image size limit of GIMP & Image SDK Limin Zhang 17 Feb 06:29
  Image size limit of GIMP & Image SDK Campbell Barton 17 Feb 08:10
   Image size limit of GIMP & Image SDK Dalai Felinto 18 Feb 01:11
Image size limit of GIMP & Image SDK Pär Forsling 21 Feb 14:59
  Image size limit of GIMP & Image SDK Limin Zhang 21 Feb 16:25
   Image size limit of GIMP & Image SDK John Cupitt 21 Feb 22:54
6088b0e0602171916g63d5bbb5u... 07 Oct 20:24
  Image size limit of GIMP & Image SDK Dalai Felinto 20 Feb 13:23
Limin Zhang
2006-02-17 06:29:48 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi,

I am not sure if it is suitable to ask this question here. But it makes me crazy for many days.

I am looking for an image SDK which can process an image of size, for example, more than 1GB. I tried to open an image file(*.tiff) of size 800MB GIMP on my computer, WinXP, PIV 2.4GHZ, and 1GB memory. It is too slow. It is impossible to edit it. Since tiled tiff can be used to store/process large image, I am wondering if GIMP makes use of it. If not, can anyone do me a favor to let me know what SDK I can use?

Sorry for the spam

Thanks a million in advance

Limin

Campbell Barton
2006-02-17 08:10:16 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hint- buy some more ram. - I have edited some 1.8gig images on a PC with 4gig of ram using the gimp, its not that fast- but it was useable.

I know you probably want an sdk that can handle images bigger then your physical memory- but you cant have the best of all worlds. Large images + Low Ram + Fast editing just isnt that possible- unless the operations can be edited on tiles as you suggest. not all func's can be tiled, so probably to save your self some time - buy a 1gig chip.

Limin Zhang wrote:

Hi,

I am not sure if it is suitable to ask this question here. But it makes me crazy for many days.

I am looking for an image SDK which can process an image of size, for example, more than 1GB. I tried to open an image file(*.tiff) of size 800MB GIMP on my computer, WinXP, PIV 2.4GHZ, and 1GB memory. It is too slow. It is impossible to edit it. Since tiled tiff can be used to store/process large image, I am wondering if GIMP makes use of it. If not, can anyone do me a favor to let me know what SDK I can use?
Sorry for the spam

Limin
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dalai Felinto
2006-02-18 01:11:12 UTC (about 18 years ago)

First of all, sorry the bad english, I' m a brazilian GIMPER.

I have an idea about a new plugin that could help you.

I gonna write an example of the functions:

Two months ago, I was working in a Panoramica Job manually (following the "Grokking the GIMP" book). The file was bigger then my mail sent-limit, then I smalled the image size by the half.

After, at home, I did make all the job and get some satisfactory result. But, the small size of the image makes me redo all the work in the original file, step by step, just changing the sizes of the filters, selections and editions.

Well, the plugin I thought, should start with a window indicating the actual size and resolution of the image, and asking the size and resolution we would like to work with.

Then the original image and all the commands should be saved (in memory, external file GIMP file), while we are using they in a smallest image.

At the end, the plugin "translates" all the commands to the original size and transform the original size file.

The advantage of this plugin? Faster image edition.

I think a plugin like this could help you too.

This is just an idea, I don' t know "C program language", but I' m interessed in aid this development. I don' t know how to suggest this to the developers, but I think this plugin could be very useful for a lot of GIMP users.

That's all Folks !!!
Dalai Felinto
Rio de Janeiro
Brasil

2006/2/17, Campbell Barton :

Hint- buy some more ram. - I have edited some 1.8gig images on a PC with 4gig of ram using the gimp, its not that fast- but it was useable.

I know you probably want an sdk that can handle images bigger then your physical memory- but you cant have the best of all worlds. Large images + Low Ram + Fast editing just isnt that possible- unless the operations can be edited on tiles as you suggest. not all func's can be tiled, so probably to save your self some time - buy a 1gig chip.

Limin Zhang wrote:

Hi,

Sorry for the spam

Limin ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dalai Felinto
2006-02-20 13:23:11 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Unfortunatelly, I don't know about your specific request (sincerely I don´t know what is a SDK :) )

Anyway, if someone knows about how can I do ideas contribuitions for GIMP, please tell me.

Thanks,
Dalai Felinto
Rio de Janeiro
Brasil

2006/2/18, Limin Zhang :

Hi Dalai,

Good point! However I am a newbie in image processing. I don't know how diffcult to develop such a plugin. Maybe an existing SDK can help me more because our project is very urgent. Do you know any existing SDK for large image processing?

Thanks

Limin

On 2/17/06, Dalai Felinto wrote:

First of all, sorry the bad english, I' m a brazilian GIMPER.

I have an idea about a new plugin that could help you.

I gonna write an example of the functions:

Two months ago, I was working in a Panoramica Job manually (following

the

"Grokking the GIMP" book). The file was bigger then my mail sent-limit,

then

I smalled the image size by the half.

After, at home, I did make all the job and get some satisfactory result. But, the small size of the image makes me redo all the work in the

original

file, step by step, just changing the sizes of the filters, selections

and

editions.

Well, the plugin I thought, should start with a window indicating the

actual

size and resolution of the image, and asking the size and resolution we would like to work with.

Then the original image and all the commands should be saved (in memory, external file GIMP file), while we are using they in a smallest image.

At the end, the plugin "translates" all the commands to the original

size

and transform the original size file.

The advantage of this plugin? Faster image edition.

I think a plugin like this could help you too.

This is just an idea, I don' t know "C program language", but I' m interessed in aid this development. I don' t know how to suggest this to

the

developers, but I think this plugin could be very useful for a lot of

GIMP

users.

That's all Folks !!! Dalai Felinto
Rio de Janeiro
Brasil

2006/2/17, Campbell Barton :

Hint- buy some more ram. - I have edited some 1.8gig images on a PC

with

4gig of ram using the gimp, its not that fast- but it was useable.

I know you probably want an sdk that can handle images bigger then

your

physical memory- but you cant have the best of all worlds. Large images + Low Ram + Fast editing just isnt that possible- unless the operations can be edited on tiles as you suggest. not all func's

can

be tiled, so probably to save your self some time - buy a 1gig chip.

Limin Zhang wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for an image SDK which can process an image of size,

for

example, more than 1GB. I tried to open an image file(*.tiff) of

size

800MB GIMP on my computer, WinXP, PIV 2.4GHZ, and 1GB memory. It is too slow. It is impossible to edit it. Since tiled tiff can be

used

to store/process large image, I am wondering if GIMP makes use of

it.

If not, can anyone do me a favor to let me know what SDK I can use?

Sorry for the spam

Limin

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pär Forsling
2006-02-21 14:59:52 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Limin Zhang wrote:

You could try http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php . I have no idea how well it works on windows, but at least there are prebuilt binaries so you could try it out.

Limin Zhang
2006-02-21 16:25:58 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Thanks. I tried it. However, it is very bad at retouching photographs as shown on the website of VIPS. I want to develop a application for a scanner, which should be able to let user edit the images.

Cheers Limin

On 2/21/06, Pär Forsling wrote:

Limin Zhang wrote:

You could try http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php . I have no idea how well it works on windows, but at least there are prebuilt binaries so you could try it out.
--
Pelle

John Cupitt
2006-02-21 22:54:56 UTC (about 18 years ago)

You could use something like VIPS to chop your scans into manageable pieces, retouch the tiles one at a time in gimp, and then use VIPS to recombine them again.

You could also consider 64-bit gimp. I imagine you could go over the 2GB limit with a 64-bit build, though I've never tried it.

VIPS would be OK for the scanner software. I've built painting scanners which make 10 GB images using VIPS to do the automatic image assembly, correction and calibration.

On 2/21/06, Limin Zhang wrote:

Thanks. I tried it. However, it is very bad at retouching photographs as shown on the website of VIPS. I want to develop a application for a scanner, which should be able to let user edit the images.

On 2/21/06, Pär Forsling wrote:

Limin Zhang wrote:

--
Pelle