RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Question on using tablet functionality to help teach people to draw?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Question on using tablet functionality to help teach people to draw? Matt Jobson 29 Jan 14:00
Matt Jobson
2006-01-29 14:00:30 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Question on using tablet functionality to help teach people to draw?

Hi I'm sorry if this is off-topic. I just didn't know where to post this Question.

I know Gimp supports tablets and pressure sensitivity, but i was wondering if it would be possible to record the data that is sent from the tablet and to replay it later in a movie style, much like this website:

http://artpad.art.com/artpad/painter/

Also If the data from the input of the tablet could be dissected and analysed to display the particular angle, amount of pressure used etc etc at any given point in real time, you would be able to give feedback to the user.

By doing so, you could implement a feature in the gimp whereby people who can draw very well could write simple tutorials and amateurs could follow along and be told when their doing the wrong thing, in order to get a feel for the way in which to draw correctly.

Basically accessing this data from the input of a stylus on a tablet could help teach people how to draw/paint or refine their skills.

I was wondering if this is something that is fairly easy to code (as I'm not a programmer) and if so, whether anybody is interested in having a go?

Or if this is the wrong place to be asking this question, to where I should send this question?

Thanks in advance,

Matt Jobson