RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Plugin brush tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Plugin brush tool Rob Krajcarski 26 Jan 19:21
  Plugin brush tool Carol Spears 26 Jan 22:33
Plugin brush tool Rob Krajcarski 27 Jan 07:38
  Plugin brush tool Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 27 Jan 16:15
Rob Krajcarski
2006-01-26 19:21:49 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Plugin brush tool

Hi there,

I'm looking into writing a plugin for The Gimp where I could have strict control over the color that would be painted based on the direction of the stroke itself. From what I can see of the documentation only filter type plugins are available. Is this correct? Any thoughts, on where I can start looking for ideas on how I could implement this type of color controller?

Thanks for any suggestions..

Rob Krajcarski

Carol Spears
2006-01-26 22:33:04 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Plugin brush tool

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:21:49AM -0700, Rob Krajcarski wrote:

I'm looking into writing a plugin for The Gimp where I could have strict control over the color that would be painted based on the direction of the stroke itself. From what I can see of the documentation only filter type plugins are available. Is this correct? Any thoughts, on where I can start looking for ideas on how I could implement this type of color controller?

there is a lot of control already available. you can make animated brushes or you can paint with a gradient or just use colors from a specific palette.

probably the best place to start would be at the gimps paint and brush documentation.

carol

Rob Krajcarski
2006-01-27 07:38:55 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Plugin brush tool

I spent most of today trying to accomplish this type of plugin within photoshop, only to find out that it was not possible...so, I'd rather not have to go through the same thing with Gimp tomorrow..

In general what i'd like to accomplish is the following:

-poll the position of the brush on the canvas, or even better would be to receive notifications as to the position of the brush as it moves -using this historical position to mathematically calculate a specific colour to use for the brush

Ideally I'd like to be able to just change the foreground colour of the brush, but still preserve artists ability to use different brush heads, opacties, etc...

So, just thought I'd be a bit more explicit in what I'm trying to accomplish before I jump into the code.

Please let me know if there's reason to believe that I won't be able to accomplish this kind of plugin without making changes throughout the core codebase.

Thanks

Rob

-----Original Message----- From: Carol Spears [mailto:carol@gimp.org] Sent: Thu 1/26/2006 2:33 PM
To: Rob Krajcarski
Cc: GIMPDev
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Plugin brush tool
On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:21:49AM -0700, Rob Krajcarski wrote:

there is a lot of control already available. you can make animated brushes or you can paint with a gradient or just use colors from a specific palette.

probably the best place to start would be at the gimps paint and brush documentation.

carol

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-01-27 16:15:59 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Plugin brush tool

On Friday 27 January 2006 04:38 am, Rob Krajcarski wrote:

I spent most of today trying to accomplish this type of plugin within photoshop, only to find out that it was not possible...so, I'd rather not have to go through the same thing with Gimp tomorrow..

In general what i'd like to accomplish is the following:

-poll the position of the brush on the canvas, or even better would be to receive notifications as to the position of the brush as it moves -using this historical position to mathematically calculate a specific colour to use for the brush

Ideally I'd like to be able to just change the foreground colour of the brush, but still preserve artists ability to use different brush heads, opacties, etc...

So, just thought I'd be a bit more explicit in what I'm trying to accomplish before I jump into the code.

Please let me know if there's reason to believe that I won't be able to accomplish this kind of plugin without making changes throughout the core codebase.

Thanks

Rob

Hi.
I've thoguht of similar things before, but I was turned down. I'd still likle to have this ability, so maybe if you find no other way, you could came back here, and then we could try to attach something to the core.

The bug-report where I suggested and discussed such a feature is here: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=140165

Regards, JS
->